Topic: Tidal and RME ADI-2 DAC

I bought an RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which I quite like, but I have a question. I know it will not play MQA, that is quite fine, I use Roon for the first fold. But when I am in Tidal and I want to browse music in the native It will switch to 384 Khz in Tidal in the Tidal app for MQA or Non-MQA music.

When in the Roon app or Qobuz it displays correctly. How do get the Tidal app to play bit-perfect music up to the highest resolution possible? Thanks.

2 (edited by rdfornasero 2020-07-22 17:10:50)

Re: Tidal and RME ADI-2 DAC

I'm also struggling with the same issue.

As per the instructions on page 40 of the manual, I've uninstalled the Madiface driver and the windows driver in the control panel and then reboot.

With Tidal set in exclusive mode and the device set in Windows control panel sound settings "allow apps to take control of device", the DAC still won't change sample rates.

According to this Reddit thread -

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments … witch_the/

The Tidal MQA Core decoder is broken when used with professional audio interfaces.

Not sure if this is the case as sample rates won't switch for me using WASAPI with JRiver or Roon either.

There are other treads on this forum with others experiencing the same issues. I don't think that there's ever been a definitive solution.

Further to my previous post, If I set my Anthem preamp as the output device with Tidal in exclusive mode, sample rates change fine.

I seem to remember an early firmware having this problem, so make sure you update to latest firmware for the ADI-2 DAC. Or maybe it was an early USB/ASIO driver.

I use Tidal from Roon and have no problems, it switches sample rate according to music (I use MQA unfold in Roon so MQA is usually 88 or 96 khz).

I've not yet the ADI-2 (going to buy it... now or as soon as it will integrate the 4499... in decision;) but in my setup, using Audirvana on MacOS (but there's a Win version as well), the player directly integrates with Tidal and takes charge of MQA conversion to the highest possible res before sending it out to the external DAC.

Using Toslink is another way to solve this (Tidal does autoswitch with optical interface)