1 (edited by dirtloves 2020-07-27 03:11:57)

Topic: Roon & Disappearing WASAPI issue... i'm going crazy!

I am trying to get my ADI-2 DAC FS working with Roon properly. I have:

1) Install RME driver (0.9.716.0)
2) Flash ADI-2 to latest firmware
3) Set the bitrate appropriately in MADIface (per manual pg40)

After this it works, we have system audio.
I can then enable the WASAPI interface in Roon and get music playback as expected
I can then enable the ASIO interface and that will play music at fixed volume
I then set the volume to the WASAPI:ADI-2 DAC so it will control volume appropriately, and as soon as I hit play on a track the WASAPI interface crashes

At that point I have no sound at all from Windows, managing sound playback devices shows "no audio devices are installed", and the WASAPI interface is gone from Roon. I can still play on fixed volume through the ASIO interface.

If I uninstall/reinstall the dac/drivers/madiface then I can repeat the process.

I hope I'm just making a mistake somewhere, I would appreciate any help greatly.

Misc details: intel cpu (i7), win10, known good usb cable

Re: Roon & Disappearing WASAPI issue... i'm going crazy!

Of course, as soon as I posted this I figured out what is happening, but it still seems wrong... Roon is changing the sample rate up to 768, which causes the wasapi device to be unavailable, which causes Roon to set the DAC to fixed volume. I admit I am a novice here so if someone could help me understand where I am going wrong...

dirtloves wrote:

Roon is changing the sample rate up to 768, which causes the wasapi device to be unavailable, which causes Roon to set the DAC to fixed volume.

Disable sample rate conversion in dsp settings and see what happens.

joachim.herbert wrote:

Disable sample rate conversion in dsp settings and see what happens.

Thanks, that resolves the issue, is there any way to work with sample rate conversion on?

dirtloves wrote:

...is there any way to work with sample rate conversion on?

PCM or dsd? Check where src maxes out.  Maybe 384k. You can set any combination of in out.

But why do it, anyway? You upsample (CPU load), transfer the blown up data (more bandwidth needed) just to pass it to a near perfect DAC that does his own thing anyway. Not a single benefit here. Unless you want to impress audiophools.

joachim.herbert wrote:

But why do it, anyway?

All fair points, I just wanted to hear the difference (if there was one to hear.) DSD is what I was upsampling to.

And I am absolutely in love with this DAC. Thanks for your help!

I up-sample to 768khz PCM with no problem, both from within Roon and in HQPlayer connected after Roon. And up-sampling does give some benefits (if done good) since it replaces the internal rather simple up-sample done in the DAC.

For DSD, I think the RME DAC requires DoP though, so I would guess DSD256 is maximum.