1 (edited by ClickTrackAudio 2020-08-03 23:11:20)

Topic: Digiface Dante not outputting via MADI

Hello...I was attempting to run the Digiface Dante by sending a signal out from the computer through MADI to another set of devices.   Intially it was a digico console, and when the digico wasn't seeing the signal from the Digiface Dante, I tried two separate Tascam DA-6400's that both have MADI and Dante inputs. 

None of these devices saw the MADI stream from the digiface dante.

I have the latest drivers and firmware installed and am using a signal routed to MADI outputs 1 & 2 via TotalMix.  The mode in the driver is set to MADI mode (Not wordclock).

The unit receives data via MADI from all the devices used (I see "sync/lock" shown in the driver window along with the mode and sample rate) however no output data or even detected by the Digico and the tascam units.

I'm starting to think this is a hardware issue as I can't see any other reason that the unit wouldn't be sending out the MADI stream.

Can anyone think of anything I haven't done to enable MADI output or, at very least, check if the unit THINKS it is sending MADI data out?  Is there a driver update that I should be using? 

BTW:  Computer is a Macbook Pro running Mojave

Cheers & Thanks

Re: Digiface Dante not outputting via MADI

Connect MADI output to MADI input then check in TM FX if data show up at the input.

It might be more efficient to contact RME support directly. Othwerwise you need to post screenshots of Settings dialog and current TM FX routing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I did what you mentioned and yes, something isn't right.

With the input connected to the output, the "state" lamp turns on momentarily then turns off.  The driver menu shows "no input" under input status, which in itself is a big indicator that something isn't working.

> I have the latest drivers and firmware installed

Firmware should be 36 at least. Driver should be 3.19 network version. Please confirm.

Are you sure the unit is running on internal or Dante clock when establishing the MADI loop?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have a screenshot that the forum software isn't allowing me to post...
However yes, Driver is 3.19 network and firmware is v36.

You raise a VERY good point, however.

I connected Dante Controller and the unit DOES show the clock source as being "Dante" under Clock Status.

However when I go into device view, I can't find any setting to flip the clock to internal.
I have performed a complete "clear configuration", however the clock source does come up as dante.

Is there somewhere else where this can be changed/configured?

and PS...all through this, while resetting the unit, there is still no lock found on the MADI input in the Fireface USB settings driver window.

Thanks!

This is a network interface, and the clocking is ONLY set in the Dante Controller. Our manual does not include that software as there exists an extensive online help, see link in our manual. You can configure the DF Dante to Internal clock, Dante input or MADI input as clock source, within the Dante Controller (tab Clock Status).

I checked again: the only way for the MADI loopback to fail is when the DF Dante has been checked as 'Sync to external', which will cause a MADI clock loop. Otherwise, Master or Slave, it will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi...

Dante Controller provides you with the clock setting, but there isn't anywhere to change to internal for the Digiface Dante.

I have been in contact with RME support via the local distributer and they do indeed think there is a problem with the unit itself.
Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

ClickTrackAudio wrote:

Dante Controller provides you with the clock setting, but there isn't anywhere to change to internal for the Digiface Dante.

Obviously that is the case when it is set as Grandmaster Clock in Dante Controller.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME