Topic: DAC/AMP for Babyface (first edition)

Hello, everybody,
I just bought some Sennheiser HD650s to mix a 15 track disc more accurately.
I have a latest generation 16" Macbook connected to an RME Babyface (First Model).

I haven't got the headphones yet but from various reviews I've read it seems that the headphone output of my sound card is not powerful enough to drive 300 Ohm impedance headphones.
What I really need, which is why I bought the HD650s, is a neutral and qualitatively excellent listening experience.
Not having a treated studio available, I have to rely on quality headphone listening.

But I am totally confused about the choice between DAC or AMP.
At first I thought of amplifying the headphone output with an AMP (and I had oriented myself to the SCHIIT MAGNI 3+). Then I read that a DAC connected via USB can provide a better conversion giving me a more faithful audio signal. But I got totally confused.

What solution do you recommend for my Fireface?
I have a budget of 100/150€.

Thanks in advance!

Re: DAC/AMP for Babyface (first edition)

I recommend to not spend money until you tried the 650 on the Babyface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello All! Hi MC!
I'm one step further than fabiomelis, Ive got babyface (first ed) and HD650 for about two days.
The first impression after connecting the hd650 was that they sound quieter than my AKG k240 mk2 at the same volume level, which seems understandable. So I turned up the volume. When using it, I don't go over 0db, I don't have to. And now the question: if the volume of the hd650 suits me, do I not need an additional amplifier (e.g. JDS Atom) or do I lose the characteristics of the hd650 due to a weak babyface amplifier? The question is crucial, I cannot find a definite answer. Some write that it affects the overall reception of the HD650, others that it is only about the volume level. MC please help.

The "sound quality" won't change. If the volume is sufficient for you, all is well.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by toothpaste 2021-03-05 18:53:11)

I have the babyface (first edition) and I am using it with the HD650. I prefer to listen to music at around -25db. At 0db they are deafeningly loud! I felt the need to post it here after seeing lots of people posting about how babyface won't be enough to drive 300ohm 650s. Either all these people are deaf or they don't know how to use TotalMix FX. Anyway as MC pointed out, you definitely should try the 650s before purchasing an amp!

6 (edited by waedi 2021-03-05 18:17:22)

My Babyface silver is very loud !
With this midrange consumer headphone you should be careful not to overdrive, it can damage your ears.
What interface you use ?
In the beginning you speak of Babyface first edition and at the end you ask for help for a Fireface ?!
and what exactly is your headphone ?
The HD650s is a 150 Ohm, you say yours is 300 Ohm.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

My Babyface silver is very loud !
With this midrange consumer headphone you should be careful not to overdrive, it can damage your ears.
What interface you use ?
In the beginning you speak of Babyface first edition and at the end you ask for help for a Fireface ?!
and what exactly is your headphone ?
The HD650s is a 150 Ohm, you say yours is 300 Ohm.

You are talking about your Babyface being very loud without really mentioning what headphones you use. So it doesn't really say anything!

And then, you are spreading misinformation. HD650 is 300ohms. I never came across a 150ohm model. Do you have any proof such a model exists?

I was wrong sorry.
I was looking at the 660s, I wanted to look your model HD 650s, but this one seems to not exist.
The HD650 is 300 Ohm. You probably got that one.

I used my Byerdynamic with 250Ohm, not a big difference.

You have a Babyface
You have a headphone
Plug in and listen.
no reason to not do.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

I was wrong sorry.
I was looking at the 660s, I wanted to look your model HD 650s, but this one seems to not exist.
The HD650 is 300 Ohm. You probably got that one.

I used my Byerdynamic with 250Ohm, not a big difference.

You have a Babyface
You have a headphone
Plug in and listen.
no reason to not do.

I know for a fact that I have the HD650. So this is not a matter of probability, unless I am blind smile
Also, it's a common misconception that a higher impedance headphone is always harder to drive than a lower impedance one. There  are some low impedance headphones that are super difficult to drive and some high impedance ones that are not so difficult. Sensitivity is a good keyword here.