1 (edited by polybox 2020-08-04 20:17:22)

Topic: How to send tracks from daw to Fireface 400 ADAT outputs?

Hello,

I bought recently ADA8200 interface specifically to extend my  Fireface 400 with another 8   analog outputs that I can send from my DAW (Reaper) to inputs of my outboard analog mixer.

Let’s say I configured my total mix to send all 8 software playback channels (that come from 8 tracks of my DAW) to all 8 analog outputs of FF400 which all go to input of my analog console and that works fine.

Now I would like to send another 8 tracks from my daw to FF400 ADAT outputs that they appear on all ADA8200 outputs to have finally total 16 analog outputs (8 FF400 + 8 ADA8200) coming  from 16 tracks in DAW and finally sent into analog mixing console.

Is it possible to achieve this scenario using FF400. And if yes how?
Because currently I cannot figure out how can I feed DAW track directly to ADAT output?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Piotr

Re: How to send tracks from daw to Fireface 400 ADAT outputs?

You select the ADAT output channels in the DAW. If these don't show up there you have the Bandwidth Limit in the FF400 Settings dialog set to Analog only.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by polybox 2020-08-05 11:16:40)

Hello Matthias
Thank you for the reply.
Apparently I have Bandwidth Limit set to all, so in my matrix  I see all 18 inputs (inc. ADAT) all 18 outputs (inc. ADAT) and 8 software playback channels. In Reaper I as well see all ouputs including ADATs, but if I select ADAT output, no signal is sent to it:
I do not see any activity in matrix view etc. The only way I can send signal to ADAT output is to link software playback channel and ADAT output, so then i can see activity signal in matrix and hear it.
It looks to me that ADAT outputs can only mirror 8 software playback channels, and can not act as separate independent outputs.

Can you please confirm it?

Best Regards

Piotr

P.S. I can make necessary screenshots if needed

polybox wrote:

It looks to me that ADAT outputs can only mirror 8 software playback channels, and can not act as separate independent outputs.

No, that's not the case. ADAT playback should work just fine. Try toggling the Bandwidth setting from analog back to all channels. And test playback withdifferent software also.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

polybox wrote:

Apparently I have Bandwidth Limit set to all, so in my matrix  I see all 18 inputs (inc. ADAT) all 18 outputs (inc. ADAT) and 8 software playback channels.

Apparently (and obviously) Bandwidth Limit Analog is active. It does not reduce hardware outputs and inputs. Think about which data travel over the FireWire cable...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes indeed analog limit was active for some reason:
toggling the Bandwidth setting to analog and back to all channels fixed it and I see all 18 software playback channels as well!
Thank you for your help and quick response!
Best Regards

Piotr