Topic: Fireface 400 / Catalina / Mac Mini 2020 Compatibility

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can advise on the conpatibility of the original fireface 400 with Mac OSX Catalina and the new mac mini?

I'm currently running a Macbook pro (with fireface port) on High Sierra and have used the Fireface as my main interface for years. I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac Mini for extra processing power and would love to continue using the Fireface as my main interface.

From reading around here I believe it is possible to connect to the Mac Mini using a couple of adaptors but can't see it written anywhere that the new drivers will work for the Fireface 400. Can anyone advise?

Many thanks
Scott

Mac mini 64GB RAM, RME Fireface 400, REAPER, ABLETON

Re: Fireface 400 / Catalina / Mac Mini 2020 Compatibility

If I go to https://www.rme-audio.com/downloads.html I can select Fireface 400 > Mac > Driver and I get a link to the FireWire driver (3.39) that supports 10.9 and up. (Older driver versions for older OS versions also still available.)

You will need both an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C connector) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter to connect a FireWire device to a Thunderbolt 3 port.

Re: Fireface 400 / Catalina / Mac Mini 2020 Compatibility

Hey Breun,

Brilliant, many thanks. I hadn't noticed that selection option on the RME downloads page. That puts my mind at rest.

Mac mini 64GB RAM, RME Fireface 400, REAPER, ABLETON