Topic: Increased CPU usage using RME interfaces with recent Catalina updates?

Hi all
I got a new 16" MacBook Pro and a UFX+ last December and was blown away by the low latency and decrease in CPU usage when running Apple's MainStage with the new MBP and UFX+. There was a considerable difference (i.e. lower CPU usage) when running MainStage with the UFX+ compared with just running MainStage on the MBP without an interface.  However, I've noticed that my CPU usage when using the UFX+ is now about the same as when running MainStage without an interface....which is really weird.  Even with my previous MOTU Ultralite Mk3, the CPU usage (when running MainStage) was always less than when not using the Ultralite. My experience has always been that using a quality external audio interface reduced the amount of CPU usage on my various MBP machines when they were running MainStage.

I haven't changed anything with my MBP setup except for a) updating Catalina to 10.15.5 a little while back, and b) updating the UFX+ drivers or firmware (can't remember which) a couple of months ago.  I assume that the extra CPU usage is due to changes with Catalina but I'm curious to know if any other Catalina users with RME interfaces have noticed increased CPU usage with audio applications after recent macOS updates? It just seems weird to me that using an RME interface would result in the same CPU usage as not using an interface, especially as there was such a marked difference in CPU usage (between using and not using an interface) when I first got the UFX+ and new 16" MBP last December.

Cheers
Gary

Re: Increased CPU usage using RME interfaces with recent Catalina updates?

If you want to compare performance on Mojave vs Catalina yourself, it is pretty easy these days to add an extra macOS installation to your Mac (no partitioning needed anymore!):

Install macOS on a separate APFS volume
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891

Unfortunately I can’t install anything lower than Catalina because my MBP doesn’t support anything lower.

@MC, I’m at a gig right now and have just realised that it’s TotalMix FX that’s now using a lot more CPU. As soon as I close the TM FX mixer window, my CPU usage goes back to the level it used to run at when I first got the UFX+ last December.

What has changed with TM FX for it to be chewing so much more CPU now when it’s running??

Nothing. Your OS has changed.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 16#p146216

Also are you aware that the CPU load that you read is per Core, not total? IMHO it 's too small to worry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I’ll check out that version tomorrow.

Re CPU usage: I’m not using Activity Monitor to view CPU usage.... the increase is in the MainStage CPU monitor and I’m seeing a 10-15% increase....hardly small. That degree of increase can cause audio glitches. I guess this increase is due to upgrading from 10.15.2 (or .3) to 10.15.5 a little while back.

I’ll see how that other version goes. I can’t afford any extra CPU usage when performing live.

Thanks MC...using that other version of TM FX fixed the problem of additional CPU usage.