Topic: Fireface 800 Settings change on Restart Mojave

Hi,

After updating to Mojave 10.14.6 on MacBook Pro 2013, my Fireface 800 changes from the stored settings to different settings after I log in and the Fireface Settings and Totalmix startup automatically. The Fireface seems to be receiving settings from Fireface Settings or Totalmix.

I can Read the Fireface 800 stored settings each time I restart, but I never had to do this prior to Mojave update.

I am running Driver 3.39 and firmware 2.77. Driver 3.36 gives me the same behaviour.

Re: Fireface 800 Settings change on Restart Mojave

Maybe this: Option in TM FX, Store for Current or all users in Preferences

TotalMix FX stores all settings, workspaces and snapshots for the current user in:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\ Username\Local Settings\ Application Data\TotalMixFX

Since Vista: C.\Users\Username\AppData\Local\TotalMixFX

Current User ensures that when workstations are used by several people they all find their own settings. In case the settings should be identical or given for any user, TotalMix FX can be changed to use the All User directory. An admin could even write protect the file lastFireface 8001.xml, which results in a complete reset to that file’s content whenever TotalMix FX is restarted. The xml-file is updated on exit, so simply set up TotalMix as desired and exit it (right mouse click on the symbol in the notification area or Exit), then change the file attribute.

Paths under macOS X

Mac Current User: user/Library/Application Support/RME TotalMix FX

Mac All Users: /Library/Application Support/RME TotalMix FX

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have tried your suggestions but the Fireface Settings keep on updating immediately after login when Totalmix auto launches.

Just to clarify, it is the Fireface Settings on the actual Fireface 800 device that are being updated so seems the Totalmix program is sending settings to the device as soon as it launches. 

Here is what I did:

1. Power on Fireface 800 -> LEDs show my preferred settings as stored
2. Power on MacBook and login -> Fireface Settings change to something different than what is stored in device.
3. In Fireface Settings, select Read -> updates device to my stored settings again.
4. In TotalMix Preferences, enable “Store settings for all users”
5. In All Users Library/Application Support/RME TotalMix FX rename last.Fireface800DDD.xml to last.Fireface800DDD.old
6. Quit TotalMix -> New file last.Fireface800DDD.xml is created.
7. Make last.Fireface800DDD.xml file read only
8. Restart MacBook
9. Confirm read only file last.Fireface800DDD.xml is not being updated after restart.
10. Every restart still changes Fireface Settings

Thanks for clarifying this. The Settings are not influenced from TotalMix. They are stored in a preferences file, and updated on shutdown. I will check that, but it needs some days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Any progress on this?

I checked with macOS 10.15.6 and it works as expected. The current state is saved in

de.rme-audio.FirefaceSettings.plist

found in the hidden Library (Alt Go) under Preferences.

This file is loaded by the driver on boot automatically, its settings therefore always set on boot.

Settings 'Stored' via the Settings dialog are also stored in the unit, so if the current state is different then the unit will change its settings as soon as the Mac starts. Otherwise they should stay the same, and they did here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Are you able to test on 10.14.6 Mojave?

10.15.6 Catalina has too many issues running Logic. I had to reinstall Mojave.

Otherwise, can I prove that file is being updated correctly somehow?

8 (edited by irecord 2020-08-19 09:07:42)

Actually, there is no file de.rme-audio.FirefaceSettings.plist in Preferences, only de.rme-audio.TotalmixFX.plist and I can see that file has not been modified since I installed the drivers around two weeks ago.

The file de.rme-audio.FirefaceSettings.plist is located in Users > Username > Library > Preferences and that has not been modified since install either.