Topic: Is the ADI-2 Pro a significant upgrade from UFX+?

I now use a UFX+ and I am considering getting a HEDDphone.

Would you say the DAC and/or headphone amp on the ADI-2 is better significantly enough to give it a try? Or should I expect these devices to sound very comparable? The HEDDphone is not super easy to drive and should reveal all tiny details.

Given that the UFX+ has way more features but is also more than twice the price and came out around the same time, I don't expect them to be very different sounding.

I would still use the UFX+ for tracking. It's just the DAC and headphone amp that I'm interested in.

I know this is all subjective, but I'm curious to hear some opinions from people that own/compared both.

Re: Is the ADI-2 Pro a significant upgrade from UFX+?

UFX+ & UFX II have "Hi-Power" Phones out, the ADI-2 Series have "Extreme Power". Basically the Phones out from the ADI-2 has a significant jump in voltage. You can read the full specs in the user manuals if you like.

I tried the HEDDphone at NAMM in January with the ADI-2 DAC FS and there was certainly no problem with power.

Similarly, the DA conversion specs are better on the DAC, bit this will be more subtle. The D/A on the Fireface UFX+ is already very good.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Is the ADI-2 Pro a significant upgrade from UFX+?

Thanks Jeff, that is what I needed to hear. If the difference is marginal I'm sure the UFX+ DACs are good enough for me. I believe I better invest the money in more IO, for example using an SPL Madison.