Topic: RME ADI 2 | Suitable Battery Australia

Hi RME ADI 2 users, 

I am searching for a battery bank for my RME ADI 2.
I noticed there's a particular unit suggested within the RME forums, however this is not available in Australia.

Do any users have suggestions?

Cheers
Steve

Re: RME ADI 2 | Suitable Battery Australia

'Allo Steve!   Cheers!

I've been with the Forum a good while, and none of us are promoting a Battery Power Source.   Battery Power is a fine option in a remote monitoring situation...but adds nothing to an actual listening scenario.

The SMPS included with your RME is quite a fine piece of engineering!  Use that!

I just saved you Money!  smile

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Or grizaudio has a mobile usage in mind.

5 (edited by grizaudio 2020-09-06 01:16:09)

Curt962 wrote:

'Allo Steve!   Cheers!

I've been with the Forum a good while, and none of us are promoting a Battery Power Source.   Battery Power is a fine option in a remote monitoring situation...but adds nothing to an actual listening scenario.

The SMPS included with your RME is quite a fine piece of engineering!  Use that!

I just saved you Money!  smile

Best,

Curt

I understand the technical measurements, and the performance of the standard supply. 
My reasoning is for remote listening, and off the grid usage.

I found this link. I guess I could order from the US:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25745
https://www.xtpower.com/store/XTPower-X … p153185136

Griz,

I would at least expect an amazing Aussie BBQ Recipe in return for all this. smile

My email is shown...

Thx Mate!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

With a transparent system, battery does give an increase in sound quality. In fact, even different batteries sounds different. I used a normal 12V seal lead acid battery first and then switched to a LiFePo4 battery and the lead battery sounds slightly grainy in comparison (but it still sounds noticeable better than the included SMPS).

More specifically, I use 4 LiFePo4 cells connected in series, each 3.2V and 20Ah. They last way more than a day, and I charge at night. In Europe these can be bought for example here:
https://shop.gwl.eu/LiFePO4-cells-3-2-V … b9guihak83

There is also a version with the above cells already connected in series:
https://shop.gwl.eu/LiFeYPO4-batteries- … -20Ah.html

https://www.evlithium.com/car-audio-battery.html

9 (edited by KaiS 2020-12-10 13:37:02)

I'd like to remind everybody that these high energy density batteries can easily start a strong fire when used carelessly.
Especially dangerous are those that are made for cars or DIY, with open contacts.

Without education in electronics I strongly suggest to leave your hands off of them.

The one that is fit with a standard mains connector might be better suited for layman's purposes.

Hi , I want to share a bad experience with EVLITHIUM company. I ordered litihum batteries from them with delivery to my home. They charged 450 US$ for the shipping. Then upon arrival they notice a delivery to the closest port instead of home delivery ! Finally the asked for 900 US$ to deliver to my home !!! DO NO TRUST THESE PEOPLE

Given the input range of the ADI-2 any simple lead-acid 12v battery from the nearest hardware store will do the trick.
I would only go for lithium batteries if you need to save weight or volume.

12 (edited by JanS 2021-09-30 15:40:02)

MagnusH wrote:

With a transparent system, battery does give an increase in sound quality. In fact, even different batteries sounds different. I used a normal 12V seal lead acid battery first and then switched to a LiFePo4 battery and the lead battery sounds slightly grainy in comparison (but it still sounds noticeable better than the included SMPS).
https://shop.gwl.eu/LiFeYPO4-batteries- … -20Ah.html

The ADI-2 DAC / PRO uses an internal switched power supply, just saying.
Sorry pal, but claiming that a battery chemistry makes any difference in sound quality on this unit is way more bullshit than I could silently ignore. lol

13 (edited by KaiS 2021-09-30 16:06:09)

MagnusH wrote:

...then switched to a LiFePo4 battery and the lead battery sounds slightly grainy in comparison ...

Imagine how grainy it sounds when the battery explodes and burns the house down...

Joke aside:
Be sure to use properly built batteries with well dimensioned fusing (2 A slow blow suggested) before connecting flimsy 18 gauge cables to batteries that are capable of melting car starter cables.

Else the above isn’t impossible to happen.

grizaudio wrote:

Hi RME ADI 2 users, 

I am searching for a battery bank for my RME ADI 2.
I noticed there's a particular unit suggested within the RME forums, however this is not available in Australia.

Do any users have suggestions?

Cheers
Steve

I can recommend this one, which you can get at Officeworks. Great warranty support, certified to Australian safety standards.

You can set it to 12Vdc output very easily.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off … ck-colp200

Good find - that is the XT Power just with a different brand name printed on. But note that you want to have the additional wall wart charger for quick charging, and I don't see that mentioned there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Good find - that is the XT Power just with a different brand name printed on. But note that you want to have the additional wall wart charger for quick charging, and I don't see that mentioned there.

This one charges via microUSB plug and only needs 5V 1amp to charge

So any phone charger will do.

I think even charges from USB 2.0 port at slower rate.

I don't know of XT can be bought locally as OP wants. This one I linked has been certified for local safety

It 'not only needs', it is limited to. Using its dedicated wall wart power supply charges MUCH quicker, via the 12V output socket which then works as input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It 'not only needs', it is limited to. Using its dedicated wall wart power supply charges MUCH quicker, via the 12V output socket which then works as input.

Yes noted, if speed is a problem.

Not a problem if left recharging overnight.

Also so cheap, buy 2.

The big benefit is safety approved locally

Keeps insurance companies happy :-)