Topic: ADI-8 QS Firmware Update query & Madiface XT malfunctioning.

Hi RME. My name is George and I am based in Melbourne Australia. I have two ADI-8 QS units which I have used happily and without issue for years, usually interfacing via ADAT, to either an older HDSPe Digiface unit or my Digiface USB interface for location work. I have recently purchased the optional Madi I/O i64 card (the newer version with the two green sync LEDs) in order to interface the ADI-8 QS with my Madiface XT and PCIe Madi-FX cards. I would like to use the Digital Patch mode functionality of the ADI-8 QS, however my ADI-8 QS firmware is at 1.2, and needs to be updated to version 3.0 or above to unlock this functionality. How does this firmware update process occur? Is it possible to do this locally here in Australia, or must the units be sent back to Germany for such an update? Does it involve physically replacing a ROM chip, or simply flashing the ROM chip within the unit?

I have been in touch with the local distributor (Bill in at Innovative Music Australia), and since Steve's passing last year, Bill let me know that they are running very behind schedule with warranty repairs locally (at least a month before my units could even be looked at). Bill recommended that I send my ADI-8 QS units to their nominated Service Center, which is a company called Technical Workshops, here in Melbourne. Having spoken to the owner at Technical Workshops, he said that they have the requisite skills and equipment but are unfamiliar with the units, as they have only recently taken over the service contract for out of warranty repairs at Innovative Music Australia.

Could someone from RME please let me know what the best way to proceed is from here? Can ROM chips be posted out, or can the necessary flashrom files be emailed across to Technical Workshops, thus allowing for the flash update process locally? I am also happy to deal with Stephan at DirectOut if he is the person to speak to about this, as I know he was heavily involved with the i64 cards.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,
George

PS I have also been having issues with my Madiface XT lately, in that there are intermittent issues with static noise at the XLR analog outs, related to phantom power being assigned to the two mic inputs. Switching phantom power on and off again sometimes resolves the issue, sometimes not, thus requiring a restart or multiple restarts to get back to a clean starting point. When the issue occurs, the static signal is present at the MIC inputs within TotalMix. There are also huge volume jumps occurring at the XLR analog outputs when this occurs, which I believe are related to this phenomenon. Any similar reports of such issues? I would prefer to resolve all of these issues simultaneously if I am sending parts in for service. I will take a video/audio recording of this phenomenon on my mobile and send it in, when it next reoccurs, showing you what it looks like on TotalMix and recording the static sounds and volume jumps.

Re: ADI-8 QS Firmware Update query & Madiface XT malfunctioning.

1. We can provide the flash file (version 3.1) and procedure to Innovative. The technicians then need Xilinx programmer and software, so this is not something any soldering iron swinger can do.

2. Very unusual for a MF XT. I would first try with a different power supply. Sometimes they get 'weak' before dying completely.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just not to create new topic:

how to know the version of firmware and will my device will work with MADI board?
I have device with s/n U12-4194 22846072.

@ antoshka: If you have a look within the manual, you will see that the firmware version flashes briefly across the two screens on startup. Please see the ADI-8 QS manual for exact details.

PS Thank you for your prompt response to my enquiry Matthias smile I am just writing up a detailed response now.

Kind regards,
George

Hi again Matthias smile

1) I have just sent through an email to support@rme-audio.de and have also CC'd both Bill at Innovative Music Australia and Jeff at Technical Workshops here in Melbourne, Australia. If you or someone within RME Tech support could please respond and pass on the relevant firmware files and any necessary details regarding the firmware update process that would be greatly appreciated.

PS The guys in at Technical Workshops are anything but simple 'soldering-iron-swingers.' They have been great with all of my repairs and do a lot of work on highly-complex audio gear. big_smile

2) As regards the Madiface XT, what is the standard procedure for posting video files on the RME forum? Do people normally link to a shared DropBox folder? If you could please let me know, I'll pass on a short video demonstrating the issues with the phantom power and volume jumps when they arise. I'll also try out another PSU to see if that helps.

Thanks again for your prompt assistance RME! cool

Kind regards,
George

Hello again RME smile

I realize that as I am posting this message, it is currently Sunday afternoon in Germany, but am just giving this thread a gentle nudge, as I have not heard back from anyone at RME support (either here on the forum or via official support email) regarding the ADI-8 QS Firmware files for Version 3.1.

Could I also ask once more what is the best way to link to a video file within the forum, so as to demonstrate the issues with my Madiface XT?

Kind regards,
George

7 (edited by ramses 2020-09-27 12:20:36)

> Could I also ask once more what is the best way to link to a video file within the forum,
> so as to demonstrate the issues with my Madiface XT?

Nothing special, upload the video to a cloud of your choice to make it available to the public,
get the URL for accessing it and finally post it on forum.

> as I have not heard back from anyone at RME support (either here on the forum or via official support email)
> regarding the ADI-8 QS Firmware files for Version 3.1.

I understood MC's answer this way, that you need to contact the RME service partner in your country which is Innovative, as the flashing requires special equipment.

Innovative Music Australia Pty Ltd.
Unit 5-Howley Place 31-37, Howleys Road VIC 3168
Notting Hill
AUSTRALIA
0061-03-95 400 658
support@innovativemusic.com.au
www.innovativemusic.com.au

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by SuburbanStudio 2020-09-27 14:02:19)

Thanks for the reply Ramses.

I've already been in touch with Innovative Music Australia, and they in turn passed me onto their nominated service centre (Technical Workshops). Both of these points of contact asked me to contact RME directly to get the files. I then sent an email to RME support requesting that they pass on the firmware files and the procedure to either Innovative Music Australia or Tech Workshops, so that we can flash the ADI-8 QS with the relevant files. I have not heard anything back as yet from anyone at RME, hence the thread bump.

As regards the video upload, thanks for the advice. I'll get that organized when the Madiface XT issue next arises.

Kind regards,
George

9 (edited by ramses 2020-09-27 14:04:10)

Hmm ok .. strange .. from an official repair center I would have expected that they get in contact with the vendor.
Sometimes Internet Mails can get lost.
Hopefully you get the attention now, where you bring this up on forum ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes, it's a particularly strange situation here in Australia as regards RME equipment. The local distributor changed hands a few years ago (having been bought out by Hal Leonard) and the old owner/manager who I used to deal with unfortunately passed away a year or two ago (resulting in more recent staffing changes). The nominated repair centre has only recently been appointed by the Australian distributor and they are not overly familiar with RME products as of yet, but they are very experienced technicians and are the authorised service centre for a huge number of digital audio brands (Digico, Yamaha, Avid, Soundcraft, Audient etc...). I have used their services before (repairing flying faders on older digital desks, etc...) and they have been great to deal with. In addition to these factors, the strict Covid lockdown imposed in Melbourne has meant that the local distributor has a huge backlog of repairs on their books. Strange times indeed!