Topic: MIDI remote for more devices, e.g. UFX+?

Hi all - I'm wondering if there are plans to expand the set of remote controllable devices in MIDI Remote beyond the current list (ADI-642, ADI-6432 /ADI-6432R, ADI-648, ADI-8 QS, M-32 / M-16 AD, M-32 / M-16 DA, Micstasy, OctaMic XTC, as of MIDI Remote Version 1.71).

I read here https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29421 that RME doesn't see MIDI Remote on highest priority, but I can imagine it is a very useful tool in a lot of recording setups.

The UFX+, for example, does a perfect job as a stand alone mic preamp, headphone amp and monitor controller in a studio or on stage. In our voiceover recording setup, we connect our recording room w/ 1 UFX+ and two edit suites w/ 2 MADIface Pro via a MADI bus. Audio and talkback work fine, TotalMix is a breeze - however, I don't see a possibility to remotely e.g. set the mic gain or make small routing adjustments on the UFX+ in the recording room.

Do i definitely need a PC/Mac connected to the UFX+ to remote control it? Tried to run the UFX+ in CC mode with TotalMix for iPad and point TotalMix Remote to the iPad's IP address, but TM Remote seems to be restricted to control a running PC or Mac instance of TotalMix.

Thanks!

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

Re: MIDI remote for more devices, e.g. UFX+?

We have plans to add this host functionality to the iPad app. This will solve your 'remote without computer' problem. Please be patient, I have no date.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks @MC for the quick reply, looking forward to it!

ProTools, Hindenburg

MC wrote:

We have plans to add this host functionality to the iPad app. This will solve your 'remote without computer' problem. Please be patient, I have no date.

But this would connect locally via USB?  Are there plans to introduce remote control for the UFX+ via MIDI over MADI?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

5 (edited by hardyroede 2020-10-11 06:45:01)

mjfe87 wrote:

But this would connect locally via USB?  Are there plans to introduce remote control for the UFX+ via MIDI over MADI?

You would need an iPad connected via USB locally to the UFX+, which acts as a host so you can remote control it via another iPad / Mac / PC via IP in the same way as TM Remote works only with Mac / PCs as hosts today.

But I agree with you that remote capability for a standalone UFX+ in the same fashion as MIDI Remote works for Octamic XTC et al. would be even more elegant, or even to integrate a UFX+ as Aux Device in a TotalMix FX instance running on another connected interface.

ProTools, Hindenburg

hardyroede wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

You would need an iPad connected via USB locally to the UFX+, which acts as a host so you can remote control it via another iPad / Mac / PC via IP in the same way as TM Remote works only with Mac / PCs as hosts today.

But I agree with you that remote capability for a standalone UFX+ in the same fashion as MIDI Remote works for Octamic XTC et al. would be even more elegant, or even to integrate a UFX+ as Aux Device in a TotalMix FX instance running on another connected interface.

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk