Topic: Feature I think would make this even more perfect ADI-2 DAC

To act as a preamp I am missing additional analog/LFE to plug a subwoofer in the ADI-2 DAC FS

Also with that added analog out, if you could adjust high/low pass filter for the speakers that would be awesome.

As in, I plug the sub, that includes it's own filter so not needed but my speakers just go down from 80hz and then the signal starts to go down, so setting a filter to just send them 80hz or above or customize it would be cool since the subwoofer could be covering that.

Wouldn't it cool?

Also perhaps an analog out to take an already amplified phono signal?

Which device could beat this beast I wonder

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-17 15:53:44)

Re: Feature I think would make this even more perfect ADI-2 DAC

All these features you ask for exist - in the ADI-2 Pro, and couldn't been just added in an inexpensive way to the ADI-2 DAC, at least not in a more advanced way than you already have built in in most subwoofers.
For full functionality you need a second DAC and one ADC, like with the ADI-2 Pro.

And that's the point:
X-over functions are already built in if you buy a integrated combination of subwoofer and satellites.
Even if you combine your own sat/sub, most subwoofers have the filters, and filters never may be dublicated anyway.
These combinations need a standard stereo signal and that's it.

Optimized setting up of a subwoofer/sat combi in a room is impossible without measuring equipment.
It doesn't help to use any theoretical, numerical values like "I have a x-over at 80Hz on sub and sat".

The reason:
At the typical crossover frequencies the wavelength' are long enough to interact, but short enough to do this in a negative way.
Variables like: room placement, standing waves, phase shift at x-over frequency, level matching and others need to be tuned to each other.

One feature I would love to have for ADI-2 is software application to manage it's settings/profiles.
My current setup is where ADI-2 is in D/A mode and it gets SPDIF input from UCX which is connected to computer via USB (ADI-2 is connected to computer via USB as well but only for convenience of easy firmare updates in this scenario - this is the setup that ramses kindly suggested in his excellent writeup/diagram and it does work well).
However, my by far most common use case for ADI-2 is actually as a DAC only (where UCX is not needed at all unless I need microphone and guitar inputs) - so I would love to be able to simply select a saved profile via some type of computer app and get all settings for ADI-2 loaded that way (similar how settings for UCX and other mixers are handled in the great TM FX). This way one of my profiles would be for ADI-2 in DAC mode and the other in D/A mode and all other corresponding settings could be loaded via simple mouse click by switching active profile. Seems like this should be possible to implement but of course not sure how many other people would find it useful (so whether this is good investment of time for RME developers is perhaps debatable ...).

4 (edited by ezra-s 2020-10-18 14:43:52)

KaiS wrote:

All these features you ask for exist - in the ADI-2 Pro, and couldn't been just added in an inexpensive way to the ADI-2 DAC, at least not in a more advanced way than you already have built in in most subwoofers.
For full functionality you need a second DAC and one ADC, like with the ADI-2 Pro.

Thanks , to be honest I didn't look at the pro version.

KaiS wrote:

And that's the point:
X-over functions are already built in if you buy a integrated combination of subwoofer and satellites.
Even if you combine your own sat/sub, most subwoofers have the filters, and filters never may be dublicated anyway.
These combinations need a standard stereo signal and that's it.

Optimized setting up of a subwoofer/sat combi in a room is impossible without measuring equipment.
It doesn't help to use any theoretical, numerical values like "I have a x-over at 80Hz on sub and sat"..

Yes I had one of those mics and just thought it would be nice to be able to set apart the sattelites without affecting the sub and vice-versa, thinking more or less the same you mention, thing is now If I apply a high/low pass filter in my DAC settings I would be affecting the sub since both have both signals.The reason:

KaiS wrote:

At the typical crossover frequencies the wavelength' are long enough to interact, but short enough to do this in a negative way.
Variables like: room placement, standing waves, phase shift at x-over frequency, level matching and others need to be tuned to each other.

Perhaps it is really not that necessary, thanks for your feedback! wink

tomg wrote:

One feature I would love to have for ADI-2 is software application to manage it's settings/profiles.

This!!! This!!! It would be awesome!!!