Topic: UCX SPDIF / AES Connection

Hello to all,

I have been doing quite some research on this topic without being able ton find any clear answer.

I would like to try reducing my signal chain and drive my Genelecs speakers with the UCX using the digital connection.

If I understood things correctly, in a classic environment, I would have to use this signal path:

RME UCX SPDIF OUT > COAXIAL CABLE > Neutrik NADIT BNC-M (to convert 75 Ohms to 110 Ohms) > AES CABLE > GENELEC DIGTAL IN

Nevertheless, I am slightly confused with what I have read in the manual and also post implied on this forum.

It seems that the RME UCX has the capacity (through a professional mode) to connect straight to AES equipment.
In such case it would mean I could simply use a Spdif to AES cable straight into my Genelec, with no impedance issue.

1) Did I understand this information correctly? (here is the manual part I am referring to)

The Fireface UCX inputs accept SPDIF as well as AES/EBU.
To receive signals in AES/EBU format, an adapter cable is required. Pins 2 and 3 of a female XLR plug are connected individually to the two pins of a phono plug. The cable shielding is connected to pin 1 of the XLR and the ground contact of the phono plug.

Professional AES/EBU equipment can be connected to the Fireface UCX thanks to its ‘Profes- sional’ format option and a doubled output voltage. Output cables should have the same pinout as those used for input (see above), but with a male XLR plug instead of a female one.

2) I cannot seem to find how to switch SPDIF to this professional mode

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: UCX SPDIF / AES Connection

1. The 'impedance issue' is only an issue with very long and/or critical cables. In reality it doesn't matter at all if you use 110 Ohm cable on 75 Ohms I/Os or vice versa. It will just work with no measureable difference on the AD or DA converted signal.

2. UCX Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: UCX SPDIF / AES Connection

Great, thank you very much for the answer!