Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS Connection

Hi,
I have been considering buying an ADI-2 DAC FS since it looks like a great DAC/Amp combo and have been doing a lot of reading on its features but I have seen on this forum that some people are having issues with USB 3 connection. I was wondering how common this issue is and whether I should be worried because I don't have USB 2 connections on my laptop, they are all USB 3.0. It would not be a problem if I were living in a country where returns are accepted but if I buy an electronic device here (Turkey), I am stuck with it, no returns. So I am not sure whether I should be taking this risk or not.

I'd appreciate hearing some thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS Connection

USB-3 problems seem to be chipset related, so giving this information about your computer is necessary to anwer the question.

igok wrote:

Hi,
I have been considering buying an ADI-2 DAC FS since it looks like a great DAC/Amp combo and have been doing a lot of reading on its features but I have seen on this forum that some people are having issues with USB 3 connection. I was wondering how common this issue is and whether I should be worried because I don't have USB 2 connections on my laptop, they are all USB 3.0. It would not be a problem if I were living in a country where returns are accepted but if I buy an electronic device here (Turkey), I am stuck with it, no returns. So I am not sure whether I should be taking this risk or not.

I'd appreciate hearing some thoughts on this.

Thanks,

I have an ADI-2 DAC and USB 3 ports on my computer (Apple iMac), and no problem at all, on Windows 10 or Mac OS.
Please read this post: when you plug the ADI-2 DAC on an USB 3 port,

You connect it to a USB 2 controller which is part of the USB 3 implementation and port.

If your USB controller is well designed, this will work. And a piece of advice: don't create problems before they occur. Most of the computers have USB 3 ports nowaday, and very few people have encounter this issue. And this issue is due to bad USB controller. The RME is not the problem wink

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

KaiS and N00b, thank you for your input! I guess I am more worried than I should be. You are right, why would they bring out a product that can only be used with a kind of technology that is becoming less common(?). Consumer laws don't really protect the consumers here, so I have probably become too apprehensive due to past experiences.

I am using Windows 10 on a Dell Laptop. The chipset is Intel 2.6Ghz 6600U.

Thanks again,
Cheers,

5 (edited by ramses 2020-10-20 16:51:29)

igok wrote:

The chipset is Intel 2.6Ghz 6600U.

Just in case it would be of interest to you. Intel 6600U is the CPU, the main processor of your computer,
while the chipset is roughly said something different, it connects the CPU to the rest of the computer for I/O purposes (usb, lan, ..).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

igok wrote:

I am using Windows 10 on a Dell Laptop. The chipset is Intel 2.6Ghz 6600U.

What is the laptop model number, e.g. E7470 etc? This may help pinpoint your chipset vendor (as opposed to your CPU vendor Intel)

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

ramses and fieldstu, thanks for the help! For the chipset, device manager says I have Intel 100 Series Chipset Family and a small software called Speccy says my chipset is Intel Skylake-U 08. I am using Dell Latitude E5470.