1 (edited by vuther 2020-10-20 20:45:54)

Topic: ADI-2 DAC + Liquid Platinum Unity Gain

Hello,

I have an ADI-2 DAC & Liquid Platinum AMP. I was told by numerous people that to setup unity gain properly on LP, I need to set the volume knob to 1:30 and adjust my DAC's pre-amp to the desired listening level. I've done that, and it sounds good, but I just want to make sure there isn't any downsides to it.

My settings are:
Volume: -27dB
Ref Level: -5dBu
Auto Ref Level: On
Line Out XLR

I've also EQ'd quite a bit as well. Is there a better way to do this, and am I getting any performance hits from doing it like this?

Thank you!

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-21 01:02:48)

Re: ADI-2 DAC + Liquid Platinum Unity Gain

Seems to be fully OK!

The Liquid Platinum is very powerful, 3.6W into 50 Ohms, equals +25 dBu.
Unity gain fits quite good to the ADI-2 DAC's output level of +19 dBu - if you really need it for "hard to drive" headphones - think HIFIMAN Susvara.

Your practical ADI-2 Volumes setting of -27 dBr with Auto Ref Level at -5 dBu tells me, that you indeed make good use of the DA-converter's dynamic range.

If I'm right ADI-2's output level display shows short above -10dB, perfect.

Hi KaiS,

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, the output level display is always about -4dB from clipping. Appreciate you giving me some reassurance smile

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-21 08:12:24)

vuther wrote:

Hi KaiS,

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, the output level display is always about -4dB from clipping. Appreciate you giving me some reassurance smile

Fine, "Auto Reference Level" cares for switching to the next higher step if you need it louder, or doing a hotter EQ.

Please be careful not to listen too loud for too long.
Every level significantly above the loudness of people talking (~80dBSL) reduces the ear-healthy listening time.