Topic: UFX+ on/off switch not working

Hello,

A couple of months ago I ordered a a UFX+ on Thomann and set it up. Everything was working fine.

After a few days, the on/off switch stopped working. I was unable to turn the device off. If there was any power connected to it, the device was always on.

Not the end of the world but given it was brand new, I returned it to Thomann and after weeks of waiting I received a brand new unit.

I unpacked it today, checked that the on/off switch was working properly (it was). Then a few hours later the on/off switch is no longer working...

It seems unlikely that I would get two units in a row with the same defect so maybe I'm missing something here?

I am using a Furman M-10X as a power source to the RME UFX+. Could that have caused the issue?

The problem remains when I use the power chord connected straight to the wall plug.

Any help to identify and remedy the problem would be appreciated.

Re: UFX+ on/off switch not working

Please send the unit in for service.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Any chance they could have send you the same ufx again? Has been known to happen.....

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I reckon they sent you the same unit.

Maddcow wrote:

I reckon they sent you the same unit.

Unfortunately, I have the same issue! On/off-switch not working in a brandnew device!

Either RME has issues with its quality control or maybe now I have received your device (though I ordered a new one at the full price).

We are investigating this. Seems like we got a bunch of low quality power switches that work only a few times then break. That's disappointing for us as well as we use these for maaaany years and never had serious issues with them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We are investigating this. Seems like we got a bunch of low quality power switches that work only a few times then break. That's disappointing for us as well as we use these for maaaany years and never had serious issues with them.

You're selling € 2000+ Product and you now start investigating this? What about quality control???

Besides from this, if I now send back my ufx+ to Thomann, I will most likely get an new ufx+ with the same defect within hours, thanks to your excellent quality control?

So, shall I send back now or shall I wait?

My second RME product, my second product with complete defect within a week. Thank you!!!

8 (edited by horstenberg 2020-10-23 11:32:49)

horstenberg wrote:
MC wrote:

You're selling € 2000+ Product and you now start investigating this? What about quality control???

Besides from this, if I now send back my ufx+ to Thomann, I will most likely get an new ufx+ with the same defect within hours, thanks to your excellent quality control?

So, shall I send back now or shall I wait?

My second RME product, my second product with complete defect within a week. Thank you!!!

So, no answer to this?!

Once again: Is it safe now to send back the defective device to the seller and receive an new device? Or are you still "investigating" and don't know if the new products on the shelves may last only for a couple of days?

I'd not talk to RME but to Thomann your reseller.
1) did they send you back the product you earlier returned (proven by s/n)
2) were they refunding the money for a twice failing product so this takes the stress out of the situation?

And curious, why did you not make use of the kind offer of RME service to have your UFX repaired?
in less words: RME is just being open and honest in how they assess the situation but not to blame.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Thanks for this thread. I have the same experience. A month ago I've bought UFX+ from Thomann and the power switch has broken two days after. Thomann have send me a brand new machine and now you can probably guess why I have found this thread; the power switch has broken again in the same way yesterday! Fortunately in ON state in both cases. That switch knows how to end its life in a very responsible way!

Dear RME team, I really like your products and I understand that this is a silly situation for all of us. Is there any possibility to solve it at a more local level? I mean, now I have to send it back to thomann, they will send it either to you for repair or they send me brand new product (when I still can't be sure that the switch is not going to take a place in the #MakePowerSwitchBreakAgain campaign). I need UFX+ daily for work and it will take at least a week to replace it and definitely more in the repair scenario. And all of this because of the switch for 2–4 euros max which I can replace in about 30 minutes, but of course I would like to keep the guarrantee active for that delicate parts inside. I am from Czech Republic – is there any possibility to let some expert repair it with your technical blessing without breaching the warranty? Thanks for your reply!

Filip Beneš

fibenes wrote:

Thanks for this thread. I have the same experience. A month ago I've bought UFX+ from Thomann and the power switch has broken two days after. Thomann have send me a brand new machine and now you can probably guess why I have found this thread; the power switch has broken again in the same way yesterday! Fortunately in ON state in both cases. That switch knows how to end its life in a very responsible way!

Dear RME team, I really like your products and I understand that this is a silly situation for all of us. Is there any possibility to solve it at a more local level? I mean, now I have to send it back to thomann, they will send it either to you for repair or they send me brand new product (when I still can't be sure that the switch is not going to take a place in the #MakePowerSwitchBreakAgain campaign). I need UFX+ daily for work and it will take at least a week to replace it and definitely more in the repair scenario. And all of this because of the switch for 2–4 euros max which I can replace in about 30 minutes, but of course I would like to keep the guarrantee active for that delicate parts inside. I am from Czech Republic – is there any possibility to let some expert repair it with your technical blessing without breaching the warranty? Thanks for your reply!

Filip Beneš

The non-reaction of RME really is unacceptable. RME didn't reply adequately here in this forum, so I asked thomann to contact RME. Because I don't want to send my current device back and receive another defective one later. Thomann told me that they contacted RME on that issue and asked for a solution. What happened until now? Nothing.

So RME, where are you?? Why do you refuse to answer? Why don't you care about the problems that you cause?

12 (edited by VV 2020-12-13 20:14:31)

We have that same problem. Just installed the brand new UFX+ to our live streaming rack, and got a slight electric leak to my fingers from the device. After that noticed the power switch button was dead. When I look the unit closely,  I can notice slight scratches from bottom and rack ears,  so it seems got already faulty device, returned by someone else to Thomann.

This is no good, as it's known issue by both RME and Thomann, and it looks they are posting returned units to customers!
We were planning to use this for professional live video stream productions.
We can't afford any risk for example the power unit dies during the production. I'm going to return the unit and demanding the money back, there's no way we can take the risk!

Same problem here in a brand new product hmm

Just got ufx plus from Thomann and these posts got me little worried about the on/off switch. Could I avoid bad switch syndrome just by leaving ufx switch permanently on and switch off power from the mains? Is there any downside on this?

Many thanks in advance!

Markku

mkane wrote:

Just got ufx plus from Thomann and these posts got me little worried about the on/off switch. Could I avoid bad switch syndrome just by leaving ufx switch permanently on and switch off power from the mains? Is there any downside on this?

Many thanks in advance!

Markku

I use a power strip with on/off button to power on/off my UCX and ADI2 PRO FS (so I leave their switches on on permanently), and also my Adam A7X monitors. I have not had any issues with this setup (I would just make sure to not go cheap on that power strip).

> I use a power strip with on/off button

Me too since years with 8 devices:
pc, monitor, 2x active speakers, UFX+, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and optionally on demand: 2x Mic Preamps.

https://www.brennenstuhl.com/en-DE/prod … vv-f-3g1-5

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks guys. Will get a decent power strip.

18 (edited by herebos 2021-01-14 23:55:03)

Same issue here. Unit bought yesterday and the power button stopped working after two times.

Now, I would like to ask Mr. Daniel Fuchs if having a functional button would make the unit costs more the same as including a thunderbolt cable? (For those unaware, Mr Fuchs replied rudely when I was pointing out via email that spending 2400£ on an interface and not finding the cable is kind of offensive and he said that including the cable would make the interface costs more...)

Can also RME confirm OFFICIALLY whether using a power strip instead of the button can damage the unit long term?

For the record, my reply was in no way rude - it was relatively straightforward, though.
Concerning the switch, the reason is provided in MC's post above. This is a quality issue of a third-party component, which is unfortunate. Please contact the retailer or local distributor for warranty repair options.

As for the cable, the thing about Thunderbolt cables is that they cost more because of a) licensing and b) active electronics. See e.g.  https://www.cnet.com/news/thunderbolt-c … e-cheaply/
Adding such a cable that would be of no use to users who connect to USB (likely the vast majority), or those who might end up needing a longer TB cable, would add cost with no value. I am sure you would not feel treated fairly if you had to pay for something that you would never even use. To avoid such waste, the choice of a suitable TB cable is left to the user. A supplied USB cable that turns out to be too short can always be used somewhere else. This may not be the case for a TB cable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

perhaps if a customer tells you you have been rude (which arguably is something related to subjective perception so neither of us can be absolutely certain) what you should do is pay attention because it is part of your job to be polite. I disagree totally with what you are saying, this is not a 50£ product but it does not matter, it is ok to disagree (the way you answer does however) . End of the story.

Instead could you answer the question if it is ok to use a (good) power strip to shutdown the interface?

herebos wrote:

this is not a 50£ product

No, the 50£ product is the TB cable;)
I for one appreciate that RME don´t include a TB cable with the UFX+, as I´m pretty sure they wouldn´t think of including a 3 m TB cable, which is what I would need if I was to use TB. And if they did include a 3 m TB cable, that would raise the price for the UFX+ by a lot more than £50, which would probably be pretty disturbing to those needing a 1m cable...
The only scenario that would annoy the hell out of me would be if the store didn´t alert me to the lack of TB cable in the UFX+ box, making me having to buy one separate.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

herebos wrote:

Instead could you answer the question if it is ok to use a (good) power strip to shutdown the interface?

Sure, no problem to do so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

23 (edited by Kendalph 2021-04-14 02:55:38)

Hello RME team!

I own a RME Fireface 800, which now is in need for a revision
(due to a condenser problem, most probably, given the symptoms :
it took more and more time to power up,
and then one night I heard a clear "pop" — and that was the end of it ;-) ).

However,
this unit served me beautifully for almost every day in 10 years (since February 2012),
which I feel was a rather fair deal.

I will have my Fireface 800 repaired, 
but I was planning to sell it second-hand after the repair,
and to upgrade to the new RME UFX+
(mostly to benefit from the Thunderbolt connexion,
which is way faster than FW-800).

Then I landed on this forum page, because I've heard of
this problem with the POWER SWITCH BUTTON on the UFX+.

I have to say that I feel rather disappointed when thinking to the concept of
buying a brand new equipment when knowing that
one of its main control will fail in just a few weeks or months of use.

This defect is the only thing that prevent me from investing money
in this otherwise great piece of gear.

So what I would really like to know
(and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one)
is whether the newly produced UFX+
still have this same button problem or not
?

And if not,
which SERIAL NUMBERS can be considered safe?

Thanks a lot for your answer(s). 

~ KENDALPH — (2021-04-14 Wednesday 03:40 GMT+2) ~

Ordered my unit in December 2020 from dv247 in the UK. Switched the unit off last night and it stayed on. Found this thread. Like others, I'm a little concerned if I RMA the unit, I'll just end up with another defective one. A list of affected serial numbers would be very helpful. I'll see what dv say, but if the device itself isn't repaired and returned to me directly, how can I be sure it won't happen again? Was this fixed long enough ago that even if I get a replacement unit, it will be free from this issue?

Unsurprisingly, this is actually really easy to fix since it's just a snap-in panel mount switch with spade terminals, and the chassis cover slides off backwards so you don't even need to slide it back that far to swap the switch. I finally got a response from DV247 and they want me to send it all the way back to Germany (MusicStore), presumably so they can then verify the issue and forward it on to RME or an authorised repair shop.

Given that I can get a replacement switch shipped to me tomorrow for under £10, I'm just going to fix this myself. It's worth the personal expense to not be without an interface for at least a few weeks. Should also note that the implication that opening up the device voids its warranty appears to be complete BS according to EU and US law, but don't take my word for it...

I measured the switch and it's a standard 19x13mm SPST rocker switch. I bought one of these from RS.

Well, you can fix many things yourself. In fact, with a bit of know-how, you could replace chips on your own if you wanted to. This is a 2000eur+ audio interface though, it's not some 100eur Behringer product. Now I'm also worried for my switch on my UFX+. Who knows which batch I bought.

I would like to take this topic as an opportunity to report my experiences with the RME service. I am also one of the users whose power switch on the UFX+ became defective after a short time. (see my last post)
On the one hand, this is annoying for the user, but on the other hand, this can happen with any device, regardless of the price range. From my point of view, it is also okay if RME refers here in the forum to the respective resellers to handle the warranty case.

However, I am very disappointed with the way the problem is handled afterwards.
I sent my UFX+ in for repair 3 MONTHS ago. To date, my reseller (Thomann) has not received any status regarding the repair, despite several requests.
We are still talking about the replacement of a small hardware switch!

Since last week, the device is supposedly being sent back (RME -> Thomann), but there is still no tracking number and no feedback at all.

I find this behaviour the really annoying thing with these very high-priced devices.
Why does the user have to wait more than 3 months because of such a small thing?
Why does the user not receive any information at all?

This casts a very bad light on the company and at this point I can unfortunately only advise against the products if the service quality does not improve significantly!

In the end, I have been missing the central interface in my project studio for more than 3 months and I have to obtain loan equipment everywhere and several times.
That doesn't make it very easy when you don't get any feedback at all about repair times etc.

Hello again RME team!

Still no answer to my question after 4½ months…
Is there someone out there? Anybody alive?
Or does everyone at RME died from some real or imaginary disease? :v

Seriously, this is not fair.
You're supposed to be a pro company, remember…
Hope that soon some charming princesses will wake you all up! ^_^

29 (edited by ramses 2021-09-01 16:10:55)

waedi wrote:

What is the adresse you sent your device ? are you sure your box arrived ?

Pls don't mix the cases. Kendalph (post #23 and 28) was not the person who send something to RME, it was KarbaS (post#27).

BTW .. I would leave such things to RME itself, further postings by others only make a thread longer and perhaps even worsen the overview.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Kendalph wrote:

Hello again RME team!

Still no answer to my question after 4½ months…

I don't think there's a list of serial numbers, but new devices are not affected - why would we continue to use a faulty component...?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME