Topic: UFX+ with MacBookPro 2019

Hello all,

I have been working successfully with my UFX+ for years on different flavors of Windows and OSX. Now - with the new MacBookPro 2019 it's the first time I am experiencing an issue:

When pluggin the UFX+ to the USB-C port (via adapter from USB-A to USB-C) the device is not being recognized by the OS.

Can anyone advise what to do how to to possibly fix it ?

Thanks in advance,
best

Alex

Re: UFX+ with MacBookPro 2019

Is that the Apple adapter? Is it working with other USB3 devices (flash drive or something)?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have two adapters which are not Apple products. Then have worked so far with other USB hardware (printer, mouse and external harddrive) but they might have been USB2 based. Is there a specific adapter it definitely works with or should I use a different cable with a proper USB-C endpoint plug instead ?

I just double checked with a Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen - here no problem with device recognition using the same adapter from USB-A to USB-C. Is the conclusion that the UFX+ should not be used with an adapter ?

5 (edited by Maddcow 2020-10-23 04:13:50)

Alex, why don’t you use the UFX+ Thunderbolt port? I’m running a UFX+ with my 2019 16” MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt and using an Apple USB C > Thunderbolt 2 adaptor....works flawlessly.

Mac USB driver 3.19_4?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

>>Mac USB driver 3.19_4?

Yes, latest driver is installed. The HOST led shows blue light but the device is not recognized.

So - should I get a cable (not using the adapter anymore) or might the problem be related to something else ? Any hint appreciated.

Thanks,
best

Alex

8 (edited by Jazzalex 2020-10-23 15:39:01)

Update1: I just bought the original Apple adapter (USB-A to USB-C) with the same effect: Once the device is connected I can open the fireface settings etc. (which I cannot when unplugged) but the device does not show up in the Audio/MIDI setup (and in turn in any other app either).

When using the USB2-B plug on the UFX+ side I get an organge HOST led, when using the USB3-B plug I get a blue HOST led. This all looks fine but for some reason the device is not being recognized.

Update2: Even my Fireface UC does not work on this machine. According to the download info FF UC and UFX+ should work the same recent USB driver but on my new machine this obviously is not the case.

Maddcow wrote:

Alex, why don’t you use the UFX+ Thunderbolt port? I’m running a UFX+ with my 2019 16” MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt and using an Apple USB C > Thunderbolt 2 adaptor....works flawlessly.

USB so far had been working great for me for many years and would like to continue with – in addition also because my Fireface UC only has USB and there I basically do not have a choice but it doesn't work either on my new Mac.

Try this:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks so much - I simply had to enable the RME driver within the security settings ...

This sentence in the thread "Secure Kernel Extension Loading (SKEL) has caused continued frustration, and wasted tons of time for both customers and supporters" describes best what is happening. In that regard Apple has not done a  good job.

Now both UFX+ and UC work well as always. Thumbs up !

Best

Alex