Topic: Problems with Fireface 400 midi and Mojave 10.14.6

Hi there, since I updated I don't get OSX to recognise Fireface 400's midi ports.
It won't show up in the Audio Midi Setup utility.

I tried refreshing midi devices... no success.

Randomly I get a osx message that says the "Midi Plugin" is not updated.

I installed last September drivers that are supposed to work with Mojave.
Any ideas?

Re: Problems with Fireface 400 midi and Mojave 10.14.6

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_338.zip

10/21/2019 New in Version 3.38

- Bugfix: MIDI Input did not work anymore

- Fixed: partly black letters in Settings dialog with Dark mode

Please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there, thanks for the quick reply....
I installed the update but no success....
The midi plugin still no loading in the audio midi setup utility....

Any idea?

Hi,

Same problem here, with RME Fireface 800 under Mojave
I did uninstall all extension and RME files as this thread indicates :
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=9233
then updated to 3.38 but no success
I did find an old version that restored the MIDI when I did the 3.37 update but cannot find it again...
Thanks for your help

Hi
Here is a quirky turnaround to restore MIDI port with RME Fireface 800 under Mojave until a new Driver update is provided.

First you won't be able to use Total mix but you'll get back to Fireface mixer !!

It's a downfall I know but that's the best I could find.

Now you have to download the 3.06 Driver update from RME and run it !
https://www.rme-usa.com/downloads.html? … 86_306.zip

it might work right away but if it doesn't the run the 2.77 Flash update again (don't forget to turn the Fireface off and On after update)

And now you should have MIDI again.

I really hope the guys from RME come up with an update, but I hope this will help you before you drive creazy like and almost buy a new sound card...

best regards

We are working on this, of course. I don't recommend to downflash the unit and use old drivers. Use whatever cheap MIDI interface you have lying around to help out until we have a fix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I Agree that downflash or downgrade is not an ideal option but I didn't had any other as I needed the synch MIDI out from the Fireface !
If I had another sound card with MIDI working then I wouldn't be posting here :-)

I realize that in our creazy world or fast obsolescence this sound car is old but it worked fine untill now and I expect it to still work fine as long as I'm on a firewire 800 port for this matter.

I should upgrade to a more recent interface but as there are so many choices in the market I'm wondering witch manufacturer to go with. I've been a long time RME customer, and you can really appreciate a good customer-manufacturer relation in crisis moment, if you follow my thinking ;-)

I hope RME can come up with a solution with this issue, in the meantime I have to go back to work now that I have MIDI again with my quirky turnaround.
best regards.

Same problem here.

FireWire driver 339 from our website should fix this, please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes MC that solved it !

Well done to your team.

Does that mean that somewhere it is working still in 32 bit for MIDI ?

Best regards

Hi team,

Apparently the 3.39 partially solved the problem only, my config:
- Fireface 400, firmware 1.71, driver 3.39
- Macbook Pro 15 touch bar 2016, Mojave 10.14.5 (maybe here is the point, but it pissed me off to loose 2.6go just for an update)
- Cable FW800=>400, Apple adapters FW800=>TB2, TB2 => TB3

When the Fireface is on before the Mac, I can normally use MIDI ports in Logic and Ableton, but I won't see the ports in the OS MIDI options.
When the Fireface is on after mac OS, the ports are invisible for all softwares.

So have you tried the 3.39 driver with 10.14.5 ? Is there a way to fix this half-issue ?

Thanks in advance.

@MC

Did you had time to see my message ? Thanks in advance.

I'm checking.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm having a similar problem here so I wanted to find out whether a solution has been found please. My old Mac with High Sierra failed and I now have a Mac running Mojave 10.14.6 with Logic Pro X 10.5. I installed the Firewire software for my FF400, which has Kernel Driver 3.39, driver 3.39 and firmware 1.71. The Mac NEVER recognises the FF400 when the interface is already connected and powered up, and never has, so my workflow is to wake up the Mac, power up the FF400 and THEN connect the Firewire cable. However, lately only the Audio part of the FF400 is activated each time. About 50% of the time the MIDI part of the FF400 does not activate. I find that I can open Apple Audio MIDI Setup and Refresh, and usually the FF400 MIDI will then appear. If it does not I have to unplug the Firewire cable, power cycle the interface and try again. So the changes to my system are: Mojave instead of High Sierra. 3.39 instead of 3.38 (I think that's what I had before) and Firewire is now via an Apple TB to FW adapter. Any suggestions?

ran into the exact same issue and spent hours stuffing around in the studio trying to figure wft happened to both fw400 and 800. midi was working albeit sluggish, then bam.. nothing. im using mojave and have the latest drivers, firmware everything. i did have a thought thread that it could be a mac os issue, I've been really hating on that company of late breaking stuff left right and centre. midi seems to send a garbled mess to outboard gear, the virus ti doesn't like being hooked up to it at all and will melt down. maybe its time to move on to universal audio ?