Topic: Using two separate line-ins on the ADI-2 Pro

Quick question as I'm scratching my head on whether this is possible or not - I've read the manual and I'm coming up lost on various searches. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a novice, so I may not be using the right terminology - apologies upfront if that's the case!

I'm looking to purchase an ADI-2 PRO and in addition to using its DAC capabilities, I would like to route in two separate line-ins: one from a microphone pre-amp and one from an IR box for a guitar input. It's unclear to me if the ADI-2 Pro will allow me to split the two line-ins. Could someone please confirm?

The full proposed signal chain would be Microphone > pre mic (QuidMic?) > Line in ADI-2 Pro > PC and Guitar > Amp > Two Notes Torpedo Live > Line in ADI-2 Pro.

Would that work?

Re: Using two separate line-ins on the ADI-2 Pro

The ADI-2 Pro has ONE STEREO Line In, you can even use as TWO MONO Line Ins.
Most recording software allows to asign these to independent tracks.

The full signal chain would be:

• Microphone > mic preamp (QuidMic?) > Line in LEFT ADI-2 Pro > PC recording Track 1.

• Guitar > Amp > Two Notes Torpedo Live > Line in RIGHT ADI-2 Pro > PC recording Track 2.

@KaiS - that's awesome, thanks so much for clarifying.

When the ADI-2 Pro recognises it has two different sources plugged into left/right - does it automatically show up as different devices within MacOS/Windows or as a single source and will controlling the mix, thus, be left to the user through the ADI-2 Pro/mic pre, etc. ?

jepblep wrote:

When the ADI-2 Pro recognises it has two different sources plugged into left/right - does it automatically show up as different devices within MacOS/Windows or as a single source and will controlling the mix, thus, be left to the user through the ADI-2 Pro/mic pre, etc. ?

No, there's no mechanism to identify the source, or sources.
How should this work?

It's the recording software that (should) have the option to handle the stereo source as two mono sources.

Mine - Sequoia - has this option.
Have a look in yours.

KaiS wrote:
jepblep wrote:

How should this work?

It's the recording software that (should) have the option to handle the stereo source as two mono sources.

Have a look in yours.

Thanks for taking the time out to clarify, really appreciate it. ADI-2 Pro has been ordered.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know it matters if the two lines are using XLR vs TRS?

6 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-26 10:41:17)

jepblep wrote:
KaiS wrote:
jepblep wrote:

How should this work?

Have a look in yours.

Thanks for taking the time out to clarify, really appreciate it. ADI-2 Pro has been ordered.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know it matters if the two lines are using XLR vs TRS?

It's not specially mentioned in the manual - just had a look - but no, it doesn't matter.
In the Line In combi socket XLR and TRS are just paralleled.

Connector: XLR - 1/4" TRS
Hot: ........ Pin 2 - Tip
Cold: ....... Pin 3 - Ring
Shield: ..... Pin 1 - Sleeve