Topic: Noise in Babyface headphone out 1 when using trackpad.

Hi all,

I've recently noticed that I get some kind of irritating interference noise from the main Phones output when using my Macbook Pro 2015's trackpad - or an external Magic Trackpad - with my Babyface. Specifically just the Phones output on the unit NOT on the breakout cable - the latter one is dead quiet.

So as an example, if I'm scrolling, and ONLY then, I hear a faint scratchy, high-pitched noise from the main output, regardless of how Totalmix is set in terms of channels or even the main Phones out - it's the same level whether the output is at full volume or -infinity.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I can use the breakout cable and I won't hear it but I like to avoid the clutter on my desktop.

FWIW I've got the Babyface connected by USB directly to the Mac, no hub, and I'm not using an external power supply for the Babyface. Firmware is the latest.

Thanks!
Matthew

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6

Re: Noise in Babyface headphone out 1 when using trackpad.

Hi,
sorry I don't have an answer but the same problem with a Fireface UC : I "hear" the movement of the mouse moving, it's getting worse when I have hard drive connected… some kind of usb interference ? I tried different cables but nothing helps.

To check if it is ground loop noise is easy. Disconnect everything from the fireface or babyface (all in and outputs) just an usb cable and headphones. If it is not on the headphones then it is a ground loop and not usb interference.
Then reconnect devices one by one (for example speakers) and see when it comes back. It is not that that device is the cause then but that it closes the ground loop. Then you need to figure out how to break the loop.
I have a totally different setup, many devices, but only one device causes the loop, my novation circuit. I now have it connected through a cheap stereo DI box, with ground lift on and all is quiet again. I am not saying this is a solution for you, just that if it is a ground loop, braking it fixes the noise.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

This is great advice, vinark. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Babyface, Macbook Pro 2015, OSX 10.14.6