1 (edited by Maddcow 2020-10-28 03:10:43)

Topic: [SOLVED] Why am I getting this hum through my UFX+?

Hi all
A long story but to cut it short: I need to use my gig rig with a 12V battery setup (using a pure sine wave inverter) but when I run the audio out from my 12.9” iPad Pro into the UFX+, I get a loud hum/buzz through the UFX+ channels with the iPad audio. This hum/buzz is not present when the rig is running on mains power. Also, an ART DTI 2-Channel Transformer / Isolator Box box placed between the iPad and UFX+ removes the hum/buzz when the system is running on 12V power.

Does anyone know why I’m getting this buzz/hum from the iPad audio when the UFX+ is using 12V power? I’ve got other devices running audio into the UFX+ (e.g. Sennheiser wireless mic system) but there’s no noise with that.

Cheers
Gary

Re: [SOLVED] Why am I getting this hum through my UFX+?

Hmmm, interesting. The thing is that my iPad isn’t connected to any other power source or ground, which has me a bit confused. Or maybe that’s the issue? i.e. the other units in my rig are connected to power and therefore grounded, but the iPad isn’t?

Hi!

So, please do yourself the favour and look for professional advise from actual experts.Not sure you'll find them here (or in general on the internets with all the self-proclaimed experts).

The people from RME know what they are doing and saying!

but read from good source is one way :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

Better be safe than sorry wink

I agree ;-)

regards S-EH

4 (edited by cyrano 2020-10-26 11:44:04)

You can run both iPad and UFX+ from external batteries. Probably the Sennheiser too. Macs and other laptops too. Hec, even a desktop can be run from a 12V battery supply. And I suppose the inverter is fed by 12V lead-acid batteries.

So my simple mind immediately wanted to know why you're making it hard on yourself by inserting a known-to-be-a-pita device like an inverter?

It's a ground-loop of some sort. These are hard to fix when complicated inverters are involved.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

You can run both iPad and UFX+ from external batteries. Probably the Sennheiser too. Macs and other laptops too. Hec, even a desktop can be run from a 12V battery supply. And I suppose the inverter is fed by 12V lead-acid batteries.

So my simple mind immediately wanted to know why you're making it hard on yourself by inserting a known-to-be-a-pita device like an inverter?

It's a ground-loop of some sort. These are hard to fix when complicated inverters are involved.

It's a long story but my gig and power requirements can only be met by using a 12V battery.....I've looked at literally every other option and 12V is the only way I can go, so I need an inverter.  I've been using a lead-acid battery for testing but plan to get a 120AH Lithium Iron Phosphate battery so it's nice and light, in addition to having some serious gig time.

However, I discovered today that the inverter I've been borrowing to test my proof-of-concept doesn't appear to be pure sine wave (even though it's SUPPOSED to be) and that is almost certainly the problem.  I only realised this morning that it's not the iPad at all because every 1/4" output on the UFX+ has hum, even if no audio inputs are connected.  I get no hum when the rig is connected to mains power and so it must be the inverter.  I'm looking at getting a Victron Phoenix inverter and these are supposed to have cleaner power than mains, so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Solved: I bought another pure sine inverter and the hum has disappeared. The first inverter was also pure sine wave but I guess it wasn’t actually pure at all.

7 (edited by cyrano 2020-10-28 17:15:09)

Now you know why I don't trust the specs for inverters. Too many imaginary data out there...

These also usually don't age too well. Your sine could turn into a triangle wave in a few years.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...