Topic: Fireface 800 "stuttering" badly

I finally got my SSL Nucleus to control Nuendo while RME FirceFace 800/TotalMix is running and set as my ASIO but, as soon as I did, playback started stuttering badly during playback anytime FF800 is selected as my ASIO.
Its not the buffer. That's the first thing I checked.

- TotalMix/driver for FF800 was downloaded and from RME website within the last few days.
- No stuttering with all the same devices on and connected when I switch ASIO to Apollo Twin (which normally just runs as a host for UAD2 plugins) or SSL Nucleus.
- Stuttering is also present in Reason 11 Suite and Mixbus6 (although the space between glitches is seconds aparts, as opposed to multiple times per second in Nuendo10)

System Specs/Details:
- Windows 10 Pro (x64)
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- MPG X570 Gaming Plus v2
- 32GB RAM

Firewire PCIe: Vantech UGT-FW210
(connected via FW800 to FW800)

I've tried seemingly everything. Please help.

Re: Fireface 800 "stuttering" badly

Your descriptions so far leave one thing unclear: did the FF800 work before you made the Nucleus Nuendo control work? In that case you could simply switch off the Nucleus control to see what happens. If not there is a basic problem with FireWire performance. What FW chip is on that Vantech card? You also might have to install the legacy FW drivers, like mentioned/described several times in this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Your descriptions so far leave one thing unclear: did the FF800 work before you made the Nucleus Nuendo control work? In that case you could simply switch off the Nucleus control to see what happens. If not there is a basic problem with FireWire performance. What FW chip is on that Vantech card? You also might have to install the legacy FW drivers, like mentioned/described several times in this forum.

- Idk what chipset Vantech uses.
- The PCIe card driver is already set to Legacy.

I've got more information on the issue after some testing:

** This issue is definitely some sort of conflict between the Nucleus and Fireface800 **

FF800 works fine if the Nucleus is powered down. The problem begins the moment I turn Nucleus on. The problem ends the moment I turn Nucleus off.

• If Nucleus is on and synced to Nucleus Remote but not connecting to Nuendo, FF800 starts stuttering.
• If I'm in a Nuendo session and everything is playing fine and I suddenly turn on the Nucleus (even though it can't connect to Nuendo doing it that way), FF800 starts stuttering.
• If I then toggle the Nucleus power switch back off, FF800 goes back to playing fine.

I dont know what the conflict is or how to solve it but there is clearly a conflict somewhere.

Do you have the Nucleus connected via USB as well?
Perhaps you can try with it, disconnected from USB.

Also, for the Legacy Firewire driver, which MC mentioned, just google-search: "Legacy Firewire Driver for Windows 10".
It's a Microsoft download.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

5 (edited by Deadly Mix Productions 2020-10-08 21:51:37)

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Do you have the Nucleus connected via USB as well?
Perhaps you can try with it, disconnected from USB.

Also, for the Legacy Firewire driver, which MC mentioned, just google-search: "Legacy Firewire Driver for Windows 10".
It's a Microsoft download.

Yeah, USB is plugged in to power the iLok, e-Licenser, and keyboard that are plugged into the Nucleus' hub. I'd like to continue to use the USB ports in the Nucleus but, for the sake of troubleshooting, I'll try it with USB unplugged shortly.

As I said in the last post, I'm already using the legacy driver.

There's no issue with either device on its own. There must be a conflict between the 2 somewhere that I can't find.
If I select "Fireface800 ASIO" as my I/O device, it works fine until I turn the Nucleus on and works fine again when I turn it off.
I can select Nucleus as my interface and everything works fine, regardless of whether or not Fireface800 is switched on, but I need more than just the 2 SSL preamps.
The issue exists anytime I use FF800 as my interface and Nucleus is powered on, whether Nucleus connects to my DAW or not.
I need both devices to work at the same time. If I knew what was causing the conflict, I could start looking for solutions.

----------------*****UPDATE *****-----------------
Unplugging the USB from the SSL Nucleus did not resolve the issue. Still stuttering.

I've tried putting TotalMix in both Full and DAW mode, routing output through Analog 1 & 2 (instead of SPDIF, like I usually route it), different sample rates... I cant find a solution.

Its hard to believe nobody out there is using an SSL Nucleus and a Fireface800 or similar enough RME interface to already have dealt with this by now and found the solution.

Thanks for checking!

I think I might have figured out what causes the stuttering..

I assume that you use the Nucleus as a Monitor controller, as well, via its SPDIF. Are you, also, using SPDIF for sending the SSL Preamps into the FF800?
Based on that assumption, I checked the Nucleus' manual for where someone can configure its clocking capabilities(Master, Slave, Sample rate etc), but there was no mention of this in the manual(!!)

I, then, looked for similar issues with the Nucleus in other forums, but could not find a clear answer as to where such options exist in the Nucleus.

So, I 'd suggest that you try with the optical cables disconnected, using only the analog connections of the Nucleus!
Unless, you can find a way to succesfully clock the Nucleus either as Clock Slave or Master!

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Thanks for checking!

I think I might have figured out what causes the stuttering..

I assume that you use the Nucleus as a Monitor controller, as well, via its SPDIF. Are you, also, using SPDIF for sending the SSL Preamps into the FF800?
Based on that assumption, I checked the Nucleus' manual for where someone can configure its clocking capabilities(Master, Slave, Sample rate etc), but there was no mention of this in the manual(!!)

I, then, looked for similar issues with the Nucleus in other forums, but could not find a clear answer as to where such options exist in the Nucleus.

So, I 'd suggest that you try with the optical cables disconnected, using only the analog connections of the Nucleus!
Unless, you can find a way to succesfully clock the Nucleus either as Clock Slave or Master!

No optical cables connected to Nucleus. The preamps are set up as analog preamps (2 mic xlr in and 2 xlr preamp-out to 2 Fireface inputs).
SPDIF out from Fireface 800 into PreSonus Monitor Station handles audio out.

Ok!
Wrong assumption, then!

Some more ideas..

How many ports have you set up in the ipMidi app? Do you have 6, as SSL recommends? Can you try and set it to 8?(I think this requires a computer restart)

Also, did you try connecting the Nucleus to a different usb port? Preferably, one that comes directly from the motherboard's chipset.
Also, open Device manager -> Usb controllers -> Usb Hubs -> Right click on the one the Nucleus is connected to -> Properties -> Power Management -> UnCheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device" Option.

I 'd, also, recommend to call your PC tech and ask him to disable C-states in the BIOS and any power saving options.

You can, also, download LatencyMon from here:

https://resplendence.com/latencymon

and run it on an idle system with the FF800 and Nucleus connected, and post the results here, so we can all check!

And last, but not least, what is the CPU usage when the stuttering happens?(you can check that by having the task manager open)

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Ok!
Wrong assumption, then!

Some more ideas..

How many ports have you set up in the ipMidi app? Do you have 6, as SSL recommends? Can you try and set it to 8?(I think this requires a computer restart)

Also, did you try connecting the Nucleus to a different usb port? Preferably, one that comes directly from the motherboard's chipset.
Also, open Device manager -> Usb controllers -> Usb Hubs -> Right click on the one the Nucleus is connected to -> Properties -> Power Management -> UnCheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device" Option.

I 'd, also, recommend to call your PC tech and ask him to disable C-states in the BIOS and any power saving options.

You can, also, download LatencyMon from here:

https://resplendence.com/latencymon

and run it on an idle system with the FF800 and Nucleus connected, and post the results here, so we can all check!

And last, but not least, what is the CPU usage when the stuttering happens?(you can check that by having the task manager open)

CPU usage is 7%

USB port is on the mobo.

I turned off power management on every port that gave an option when I built the computer. Everything in the studio, except the typing keyboard, has to be turned off manually when the computer is turned off.

I have the same issue whether Nucleus' USB is plugged in and running or not.

I don't see an upload option to add the image but 9/10 attempts it read:
"Conclusion: Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts."
I ran it during playback and it passed with these results:
Time Running: 02:07
Current measured interrupt to process latency: 53.70
Highest measured interrupt to process latency: 623.60
Highest reported ISR routine execution time: 543.140 (Direct X kernel)
Highest reported DPC routine execution time: 991.940

1/10 of my attempts I got it to fail (2nd overall attempt/ 1st with Nucleus, Fireface, and Nuendo running but idle)
It said:
Time Running: 00:54
Conclusion: Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experienmce drop outs, clicks, or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management. Disable CPU throttling settings in control panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
Current measured i.t.p.l.: 74.30
Highest measured i.t.p.l.: 1170.70
Highest reported ISR routine execution time: 479.750 1394 (OpenHCI Port Driver....) [my firewire port driver]
Highest reported DPC routine execution time: 1097.450 [firewire again]
Reported total hard pagefault count: 231

Unfortunately, even if I could upload the image, I accidentally saved the screenshot as a png file (rather than a JPG) and I'm having trouble duplicating the negative result.

Opened ipMIDI and switched from 6 to 8, as you suggested. I'll see if that chances anything after I reboot the pc.

I'll have to look into C-States/Power management in BIOS.

10 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-10-16 15:26:30)

Hello!

No worries that you couldn't upload the image!
The info that you provided is enough! We know, now, that it's the firewire driver that creates the stuttering.

I checked your MoBo's Manual, so I can offer some guidance!

Firstly, you need to enter BIOS by hitting the "Delete" button, when your computer boots.
When you enter BIOS, switch from "EZ" Mode to "Advanced"
Then, navigate to "CPU Features" Tab
There you will see some options(I will write the ones you need to change)

- Global C-state Control   ->  Switch that to "Disabled"
- Relaxed EDC throttling  -> Switch that to "Disabled"
- AMD Cool’n’Quiet  -> Switch that to "Disabled"

Save the changes and Exit BIOS

After performing these tweaks, repeat your tests and post an update whether the problem is eliminated, or it persists, still !

EDIT: Also, what happened with the ipMidi change? Did that help?

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

No worries that you couldn't upload the image!
The info that you provided is enough! We know, now, that it's the firewire driver that creates the stuttering.

I checked your MoBo's Manual, so I can offer some guidance!

Firstly, you need to enter BIOS by hitting the "Delete" button, when your computer boots.
When you enter BIOS, switch from "EZ" Mode to "Advanced"
Then, navigate to "CPU Features" Tab
There you will see some options(I will write the ones you need to change)

- Global C-state Control   ->  Switch that to "Disabled"
- Relaxed EDC throttling  -> Switch that to "Disabled"
- AMD Cool’n’Quiet  -> Switch that to "Disabled"

Save the changes and Exit BIOS

After performing these tweaks, repeat your tests and post an update whether the problem is eliminated, or it persists, still !

EDIT: Also, what happened with the ipMidi change? Did that help?

Thanks. No, same problem with 8 ports enabled as its been with 6. I also replaced the old ethernet cable I was using with a new Cat8 to ensure the Nucleus had a wide highway to transmit its data (needed a longer cable than the 5ft I'd been using anyway) and that made no difference.

Hopefully this works because, otherwise, I fear I'm gonna have to retire the Fireface to a Standalone ADAT. If so; I'm not gonna risk getting the same issue from another FW interface, I need 8+ I/O with expandability, I'm using Nuendo (not PT HD), I'm on Windows (not Apple), and I'd rather build around a long running format like ethernet over Thunderbolt-3; so the only option I see is to move to a Dante system.
That means switching to Nucleus 2 and probably a Mothership. That's something I plan on doing down the road but a) it's redundant, since Nuendo allows linking computers running Nuendo through SPDIF, so I could keep expanding the studio without Dante, if I wanted and b) I'm trying to put money aside to add a C800G right now, then I'm building a lunchbox filled with Neve, API, SSL, Pultec, etc... so I don't wanna spend any more than I have to on anything else right now.

Sorry, just had to vent a little to collect my thoughts. My studio has been closed for weeks while I sort out all these issues (this, RFI, physical routing, UPS dented my Nucleus so had to order a new front bumper, choosing Nucleus v1 over 2 because I use the ff/rwnd buttons too often to give them up- only to find out v1 doesn't have Dante, trying to find a shockmount piece for my RCA 77B that I didn't realize was needed when I bought it... and so on). Sorry, again. I guess I wasn't finished venting lol. I'm better now... I think.

Anyway, I gotta pick up my guitar from the repair shop (my 1yr old son decided to push a guitar stand over with my Les Paul Studio on it), then I'm headed to the studio to try those changes to BIOS. If I can get it done before I pick my daughter up from school, I'll post an update whether or not it solved the issue.
Hopefully it doesn't cause the fans to get too loud. I like peace & quiet when I'm mixing and I wasn't planning on building a second studio PC until after I get a new command station (studio desk).

I dont have those options. I pull up BIOS by hitting delete while powering up > F7 to toggle EZ and Advanced > Settings... nothing that says C-State or any of those things. I do, however, see an "ErP" powering saving option (which has been disabled since day 1) but thats it.

I wanted to write so many things for your previous post, but I don't have time right now!

Just saw your latest post!
The settings you are looking for are in the OC section of your BIOS.

Here is a link to your MoBo's manual:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_ex … 37v2.2.pdf

I'll post, again, later!!

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

I wanted to write so many things for your previous post, but I don't have time right now!

Just saw your latest post!
The settings you are looking for are in the OC section of your BIOS.

Here is a link to your MoBo's manual:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_ex … 37v2.2.pdf

I'll post, again, later!!

Thanks. I see where it is in the manual. Kinda buried in there a little under subcategories.

15 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-10-17 18:26:38)

Sorry, for taking that long to reply!
Had a long list of songs to learn, then I got tired and fell asleep!

So, what happened? Did you manage to change the settings in the BIOS? Did that help?

Hopefully this works because, otherwise, I fear I'm gonna have to retire the Fireface to a Standalone ADAT. If so; I'm not gonna risk getting the same issue from another FW interface, I need 8+ I/O with expandability, I'm using Nuendo (not PT HD), I'm on Windows (not Apple), and I'd rather build around a long running format like ethernet over Thunderbolt-3; so the only option I see is to move to a Dante system.

I hope this will work, as well ! But, if it doesn't and you retire the FireFace to a standalone ADAT, and untill you move to another format, I 'd suggest to consider getting the DigiFace USB.

It's a 32 Inputs/34 Outputs(@44.1/48KHz, 16/18 I/O @88.2/96KHZ, 8/10 @176.4/192KHz)) USB Audio Interface with 4 ADAT In and 4 ADAT Out ports(plus a Headphone Output). And you won't have to "break the bank"! It costs around 360 Euros!
And you can use the FireFace for AD/DA, in stand-alone mode!

Here's a link:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_digiface_usb.htm

I own that one and its performance is rock solid!!

If you want the Pci-e equivalent, along with MIDI I/O and AES/EBU I/O, you can consider the HDSP-e RayDAT

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_hdspe_raydat.htm

This one costs around 600 Euros

That means switching to Nucleus 2 and probably a Mothership. That's something I plan on doing down the road but a) it's redundant, since Nuendo allows linking computers running Nuendo through SPDIF, so I could keep expanding the studio without Dante, if I wanted and b) I'm trying to put money aside to add a C800G right now, then I'm building a lunchbox filled with Neve, API, SSL, Pultec, etc... so I don't wanna spend any more than I have to on anything else right now.

The Mothership offers a lot of options, as I 've found out(because I was not aware of it) and if you decide to use Dante connectivity, you can, also, consider the DigiFace Dante(and keep the Nucleus v1 as a controller)

https://www.thomann.de/gr/rme_digiface_dante.htm

Also, I see that you 're building a studio Heaven smile

Sorry, just had to vent a little to collect my thoughts

Any time!!

Anyway, I gotta pick up my guitar from the repair shop (my 1yr old son decided to push a guitar stand over with my Les Paul Studio on it)

Big Shiny Thing! Time to play! smile
Rock Star genes, maybe? smile
Apart from light-hearted joking, I hope it was not too expensive of a repair!!

Waiting for update!!

I found CPU Features. I disabled AMD Cool N Quiet and Global C State Control (they were in auto) but I don't see Relaxed EDC Throttling.

OC Explore Mode [Normal]Enables or disables to show the normal or expert version of OC settings.

[Normal] Provides the regular OC settings in BIOS setup. 
       [Expert]  Provides the advanced OC settings for OC expert to configure in BIOS setup

Perhaps, you need to change this setting to 'Expert' for the 'Relaxed EDC Throttling' Option to appear.

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

OC Explore Mode [Normal]Enables or disables to show the normal or expert version of OC settings.

[Normal] Provides the regular OC settings in BIOS setup. 
       [Expert]  Provides the advanced OC settings for OC expert to configure in BIOS setup

Perhaps, you need to change this setting to 'Expert' for the 'Relaxed EDC Throttling' Option to appear.

I didn't notice an expert setting. Just the switch to advanced and back when I hit F7

19 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-10-19 12:06:11)

Hmm, I'm sorry but I can't check that, since I have a different MoBo.
The quote I posted above was a quote from your MoBo's manual.

But, apart from that setting, did the other ones help? Does the stuttering persist? Has the situation improved?

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hmm, I'm sorry but I can't check that, since I have a different MoBo.
The quote I posted above was a quote from your MoBo's manual.

But, apart from that setting, did the other ones help? Does the stuttering persist? Has the situation improved?

No change. Still stutters so bad that its unusable. I wish I at least knew the cause. If I knew it was TotalMix that's causing it, then I could start looking at different brands of AD/DA converters. If I knew it was a conflict with using firewire, I could start looking at USB-C, AVB, or Dante systems.

I think it is a firewire problem, due to the nature of the connection.
I'd suggest that you read Chapter 30.3(Page 87) and on, in the manual of the FF800.

There is, also, this option in the FireFace Settings which you can try:

Bandwidth Allows to reduce the amount of bandwidth used on the FireWire bus. See chapter 7.6.

All channels (default) activates all 28 input and output channels.
       Analog + SPDIF + ADAT1 disables channels 21–28 (ADAT2).
       Analog + SPDIF activates all 10 analog channels plus SPDIF.
       Analog 1-8 activates only the first eight analog channels.

The string Errors does not refer to buffer errors, but FireWire transmission errors. The display will be reset on any start of a playback/record. More information can be found in chapter 30.3.

I suppose that now, it is set to 'All Channels'. You can try with each setting and check when the stuttering stops. If it stops with one of these settings, then it is definitely a firewire bandwidth problem.

Another setting that you can, also, try and see if it improves the situation, is the "Enable MMCSS for ASIO" Option.
This can be found in the "About" Tab of the FireFace Settings.

Here's a link for the Manual:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fface800_e.pdf

Waiting for update, as always!

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

I'd suggest that you read Chapter 30.3(Page 87) and on, in the manual of the FF800.

Bandwidth Allows to reduce the amount of bandwidth used on the FireWire bus. See chapter 7.6.

The string Errors does not refer to buffer errors, but FireWire transmission errors. The display will be reset on any start of a playback/record. More information can be found in chapter 30.3.

I suppose that now, it is set to 'All Channels'. You can try with each setting and check when the stuttering stops. If it stops with one of these settings, then it is definitely a firewire bandwidth problem.

Another setting that you can, also, try and see if it improves the situation, is the "Enable MMCSS for ASIO" Option.

I just remembered that I still have my Alesis MasterControl. As soon as I get a chance, I'm gonna check these out and reinstall MasterControl software so I can hook it up and see whether it works or gives me the same problem. If it works, the problem is specific to Fireface or TotalMix. If it gives me the same issue, its a firewire problem.

If I can't fix it in a satisfactory setting, I'll either have to get an Apollo 8 firewire (if the issue is RME specific) [which wouldn't be so bad because I could make up for much of the cost by selling my Twin Duo] or start looking at the converters and features on USB-C, Dante, and AVB interfaces. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

I'm sure RME will be pleased to hear that the problem still remains (maybe even worse) with the Alesis MasterControl (firewire) hooked up and running as the ASIO for Nuendo.
SSL asked me to try to run the FF800 through ASIO4ALL and see if that makes a difference but ASIO4ALL doesn't seem to be able to connect. I assume its because TotalMix is installed and runs automatically when I turn the device on.
Just like the FF800, MasterControl ran fine the moment I switched the Nucleus off.

24 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-10-23 01:31:11)

Aah, this was to be expexted! Everyone here has great confidence in the RME Drivers!
They 're the best! smile

So, something else is hogging your system. Most propably a PCI lane needed for the FireWire gets used by something. I can't figure out what, though! (maybe it's the Usb Port you have the Nucleus connected to)

Here's a quote from the manual:

FireWire audio is in several ways different from RME's earlier PCI audio interfaces. First of all, our  cards  have  a  PCI  interface  which  has  been  developed  by  RME  and  optimized  for  audio.  FireWire on the other hand, uses OHCI-compatible controllers that have not been optimized for audio, no matter from which manufacturer they are. Our PCI data transmission is per channel, while  FireWire  is  working  interleaved,  i.e.  it  transmits  all  channels  simultaneously.  With  the  Hammerfall,  drop-outs  thus  occur  only  on  the  last  channels,  which  is  not  always  noticeable,  while  a  drop-out  with  FireWire  always  concerns  all  channels  and  is  thus  perceived  much  clearer. Apart from this, RME's PCI audio cards establish a direct connection with the applica-tion  under  ASIO  (Zero  CPU  load),  which  is  principally  not  possible  with  FireWire,  because  communication  has  to  be  established  by  the  operating  system's  FireWire  driver.  Compared  to  our PCI cards, the FireWire subsystem creates an additional CPU load at lower latencies.

One Fireface 800 can achieve a performance similar to a PCI card with an optimal PC. An 'op-timal'  PC  has  an  undisturbed  PCI  bus.  Intel's  motherboard D875PBZ e.g., has network, PATA and SATA connected directly to the chipset. No matter what you do with the computer, FireWire audio is not being disturbed. The same holds true for the ASUS P4C800, as long as you leave the additional SATA controller (PCI) unused.

So, it's not RME specific, as you 've found out.
Did the 'Bandwidth' settings help at all?

According to the second paragraph of the quote above, we need to find out what occupies the PCI lane of the chipset!
So, what other cards do you have installed in your system?
How many hard drives?
Any NVME drives?
How many USB Devices in total?

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Aah, this was to be expexted! Everyone here has great confidence in the RME Drivers!
They 're the best! smile

So, something else is hogging your system. Most propably a PCI lane needed for the FireWire gets used by something. I can't figure out what, though! (maybe it's the Usb Port you have the Nucleus connected to)

Here's a quote from the manual:

FireWire audio is in several ways different from RME's earlier PCI audio interfaces. First of all, our  cards  have  a  PCI  interface  which  has  been  developed  by  RME  and  optimized  for  audio.  FireWire on the other hand, uses OHCI-compatible controllers that have not been optimized for audio, no matter from which manufacturer they are. Our PCI data transmission is per channel, while  FireWire  is  working  interleaved,  i.e.  it  transmits  all  channels  simultaneously.  With  the  Hammerfall,  drop-outs  thus  occur  only  on  the  last  channels,  which  is  not  always  noticeable,  while  a  drop-out  with  FireWire  always  concerns  all  channels  and  is  thus  perceived  much  clearer. Apart from this, RME's PCI audio cards establish a direct connection with the applica-tion  under  ASIO  (Zero  CPU  load),  which  is  principally  not  possible  with  FireWire,  because  communication  has  to  be  established  by  the  operating  system's  FireWire  driver.  Compared  to  our PCI cards, the FireWire subsystem creates an additional CPU load at lower latencies.

One Fireface 800 can achieve a performance similar to a PCI card with an optimal PC. An 'op-timal'  PC  has  an  undisturbed  PCI  bus.  Intel's  motherboard D875PBZ e.g., has network, PATA and SATA connected directly to the chipset. No matter what you do with the computer, FireWire audio is not being disturbed. The same holds true for the ASUS P4C800, as long as you leave the additional SATA controller (PCI) unused.

So, it's not RME specific, as you 've found out.
Did the 'Bandwidth' settings help at all?

According to the second paragraph of the quote above, we need to find out what occupies the PCI lane of the chipset!
So, what other cards do you have installed in your system?
How many hard drives?
Any NVME drives?
How many USB Devices in total?

1 SSD (on mobo)
1 HDD (sata for storage)
Video Card
Vantech FW card
USB3 card that's been unplugged from the power for months (because it didn't work in the port I was willing to give up for it)

I tested it with only plugging in and powering on:
Nucleus (ethernet
RME Fireface800 (firewire)
iLok (usb2)
e-Licenser (usb2)

Ok! Thanks for the info!

There is a block diagram in Page 21 of your MoBo's manual, that we can see what is connected through the Chipset and what is connected directly to the CPU.

My guess is that the hogging happens on the Chipset, where both the Firewire and the Ethernet controller are connected to, and that is why the stuttering happens when you turn the Nucleus or the FF 800 on.

So, let's begin with something easy:

Disable the Onboard Soundcard
This can be done in:
BIOS -> Settings -> Advanced -> Integrated Peripherals -> "HD Audio Controller" set this option to 'Disabled'
Save the settings, and exit BIOS

Perform a test to check if that improved the situation(even if it doesn't, this will release some Bandwidth from the CPU)

------  The next steps will require some familiarity with PC Internals! If you 're not comfortable opening PCs, please ask a friend who knows, or your PC Tech --------

Now, if you use your HDD only for storage(as you wrote), turn off your PC, disconnect from power, and disconnect the SATA cable from it.
Re-boot.
Perform a test again, and check if the stuttering persists.

If it stops, check in which SATA Port the HDD was connected and:
    if it was connected in SATA1 or 2, re - connect it in any of the SATA 3 to SATA 6 Ports
    if it was connected to any of the SATA3 to 6 Ports, re - connect it to either SATA1 or SATA2 Port
Perform a test again!

If this doen't stop the stuttering, you 'll need to check where the M2 drive is connected to

Is it on the first slot? (M2_1 directly from the CPU)
or the second one? (M2_2 from the Chipset)

I wouldn't advise to change slots for this one, since you have your Operating System installed there.
What you could do, is get another SATA Drive(SSD or HDD), install Windows on this one, then remove the M2 Drive and then perform another test!

These kind of drives occupy full PCI-e x4 lanes, so it might not be possible to have an optimal system with everything connected as they are, now(Firewire, Nucleus and M2 drive)

Or, finally, if you don't want to get in all this hastle, you can get a new USB or PCI-e Audio Interface(some recommendations are in my post #15)

27 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-10-24 15:35:45)

Also, you can perform some more easy tests, by removing the i-Lok and e-Licenser(I know you need them, just for the sake of testing).
These are notorious for hogging systems and many people despise them(myself included)

Waiting for update!

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Also, you can perform some more easy tests, by removing the i-Lok and e-Licenser(I know you need them, just for the sake of testing).
These are notorious for hogging systems and many people despise them(myself included)

Waiting for update!

I should have a little time Sunday during the day or Monday night (when I'm back to working on the renovations I decided to do now while the system is acting up).
That actually sounds like a reasonable solution. Thank you. If it doesn't work, I'm probably gonna have to suck it up and run only 6 inputs @96kHz with the Fireface800 to the Apollo Twin via ADAT for a bit while I choose a USB or Ethernet interface.

29 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-10-27 14:29:55)

You're welcome!!

At least, we got to the bottom of it!
I had forgotten that you, also, have the Arrow(EDIT: Ooops,I meant the Twin), so you can have some work done, untill you decide on a new interface!

If, by any chance, you perform any of the above tests, please post an update with the outcome!!

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

You're welcome!!

At least, we got to the bottom of it!
I had forgotten that you, also, have the Arrow(EDIT: Ooops,I meant the Twin), so you can have some work done, untill you decide on a new interface!

If, by any chance, you perform any of the above tests, please post an update with the outcome!!

Just a little update. I haven't been able to do anything with the studio because the little renovation project turned into a bigger one so the entire studio is unplugged and shoved in the center of the control room area right now. Hopefully I can get everything straightened up and running this week and get back on track.

I've been looking at what to switch to that has USB2/USB-C/or Ethernet to PC ports, 2+ sets of ADAT I/O (to connect the RME FF800 and run it as a standalone converter). I'm undecided whether to shell out for an interface that has everything I'll want down the road (plenty of high quality analog inputs, analog in from a snake in case I go that route on a lunchbox,  Dante or AVB maybe to build a network, professional quality AD/DA conversion, etc) or just buy a Digiface USB to run my FW800 in and out of @96kHz via dual ADAT and maybe another standalone converter down the road if I need it. Before I do that though, it seems like I should sell the 800 and add the money I'd spend on the Digiface and get the version with USB instead though.
Idk. Any recommendations are welcome.

The DigiFace USB recommendation, was, kind of, an express solution, so you could have some work done, as there was a feeling of urgency in your thread.

It is a great interface and I 'm using it every day! But, I don't know your specific requirements!

So, a few questions first!

How many simultaneous Mic Preamps do you require?
How many Line Inputs and Outputs for external gear?
Is the Burl Mothership still in the equation? Which one(B16 or B80)?
Are you, also, considering MADI connectivity?
And finally, what is the budget?(Because, you said you're ,also, saving for the Sony Mic and building that wonderful lunchbox with Neves, APIs etc)

A safe route would be to get the DigiFace USB, now, so you could generate some income and upgrade later, but some more information would be welcome, so we(me and other forum members) can advise you, better!!

worst gear ever, worst costumer service, the most expensive ever! huge regret buying the Fireface uc. lotta issues, the most frustrating situation I've ever had its with RME BS! 1million thumps down!

worst gear ever, worst costumer service, the most expensive ever! huge regret buying the Fireface uc. lotta issues, the most frustrating situation I've ever had its with RME BS! 1million thumps down!

No I don't agree I have been using RME stuff for 20 years + both with PC and
mostly this days Mac, works perfectly well and good support so 2 million thumps up :-)

regards S-EH

34 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-11-04 15:21:34)

Yeah, almost ten years for me!

Firstly with an HDSP 9632, and for the last year and a half, a DigiFace USB! Rock solid performance and not a single glitch!!
So, another 2million from me!!

@uriel
There's no need to be negative, man!
And please, don't hijack a thread that has nothing to do with your situation. If you had read a bit, you would have found out that this "problem" has nothing to do with the FF800 itself.
Instead of accusing people and RME, why don't you open a new thread explaining your situation?

35 (edited by tomg 2020-11-04 17:21:53)

I think RME is the best deal around if you want high quality with German engineering at very fair price. I especially take issue with complaints about customer service - it's exactly the opposite. Support is amazing and anyone who is on this forum can clearly see that RME are reading the posts on daily basis and replying (and also other very experienced people with audio backgrounds are helping). Also, the fact that they are still supporting most of their very old devices via TotalMix and/or drivers is a huge benefit compared to most other vendors.

I absolutely can't complain about the interface itself.  The quality is amazing. I just didn't realize I'd have a problem using my ethernet control surface (SSL Nucleus) with a firewire interface when I decided firwire was a great way to save money on a feature I didn't think would matter.

Back on topic:
I'm temporarily sucking it up and connecting the the FF800 to the Apollo Twin via ADAT for 6 total inputs at 96kHz tomorrow. I'm not planning on staying that way very long but I check with Sony every week or 2 and last night I finally got directed to a distributor I can order my C800G through, so I'm about to drain the budget and have to wait to stack some more away for the rest of my upgrade plans for maybe a month or 2.

What Im looking for is plenty of inputs (no less than 8 line), 2 ADAT in & 2 ADAT out (to add FF800 for an additional 8 I/O when working at 96kHz or less), 2 preamps that are worth putting up against my VT737sp, 1073, SSL SuperAnalogue, etc. and would be a plus but otherwise I just need the inputs to be separate from the pres, USB2 would be cheapest and easy in to integrate into any system but USB-C seems like a better option. Something that connects to the PC via an Ethernet Gigabit network router along with the Nucleus and internet cable would be best for future-proofing as my system grows, especially since I use Nuendo (which itself allows you to combine computer via a network or even SPDIF, allowing me to dedicate one computer/command station for MIDI composing, another for mixing, another for recording or mastering, etc) so that seems like a way to lean in the future (rather than selling PCs and building 1 new one everytime I want a PC upgrade, adding new PCs and turning them into unique stations would be preferable due to RAM/SSD/CPU/port limitations per mobo).
Oh, yeah, and I'm on Nuendo so PT-HD capabilities isn't necessary, unless the unit is what Im looking either way.

It gets complicated because, while the answer is obviously to just shell out a few grand and get a Dante enabled Red, Burl, etc unit; there's always another legendary compressor/preamp/EQ/channel strip that money could go to that'll never lose value, never be obsolete, etc (like digital gear does), and RME already gave me 8 amazing AD/DA converter ports via ADAT so I'm not gaining a whole lot.

I'm probably rambling trying to be thorough but I should clarify, I will not likely need to record a hell of a lot of inputs simultaneously any time soon. I prefer to record band members individually for more control in post when I win the debate anyway ("you want bleed? Here. I'll make a group channel in post" lol)
I dont need anymore simultaneously recording than the 16 from an 8 in interface plus my FF800 would provide pretty much ever.
What I need the inputs for is so that I can just leave everything ready to go. Have all my I/O setup in Nuendo and named, if I have more I/O than I have preamps for I can use them to route out to hardware for analog processing, but otherwise all I/O stay setup so that I can just plug mic/line cables into the preamp or HiZ input I wanna use and create a track with that in selected.
Oh, for outs I'll need 2 for sub, and 5 for monitors. coax SPDIF I/O would be nice to so that I can run out to a monitor controller for talkback and headphones and the would be SPDIF in would be incase I choose to System Link in Nuendo through it later on. (I think I could actually use the SPDIF ports on the FF800 as long as the other has ADAT out x2, I assume but never tried.

37 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-11-08 16:58:26)

Ok, great!!

An audio interface that ticks all your boxes, except AVB(more on this later), is the UFX+
Channel count is: 12 analog + 16 ADAT + 2 AES + 64 MADI = 94 channels Input plus Output = 188 channels in total.

Here's the link:
https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-ufx.html

For the SPDIF co-axial, you can use these cables:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_aes … male_3.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_aes … able_3.htm

to change from AES to RCA connection!

Exceptional quality in everything! Great clean Mic Preamps, great converters, DuRec(Direct Recording in USB Flash Drive),
DSP processing, 2 great Phones Outputs, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connectivity and many more features!

You can get this first,
and now for AVB, there are a few options for expanding later! These can be connected via MADI Optical and add AVB in the picture!

For another 4 Mic Pres, or Line or Hi-Z Inputs plus AVB, there is the 'AVB Tool'
    Link:  https://www.rme-audio.de/avb-tool.html

For 12 Mic Pres(4 of them Mic/Line/Hi-z) plus 3ADAT Outs, plus AVB, there is the '12Mic'
    Link:   https://www.rme-audio.de/12mic.html

...continued in next post(can't remember max number of links per post)

38 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-11-08 17:10:31)

For the UFX+ +12Mic combination, here's a great review by Ramses, explaining possible uses, connections and routing!
Link:   https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31806

You have to download the PDF from the blog article, so you can read it! It's very thorough, clear and well written!

And, finally for 32 Line Analog to Digital, and/or Digital to Analog, plus AVB,
the M32 A/D Pro and/or the M32 D/A Pro (these are separate units)

Link:   https://www.rme-audio.de/m-32-pro.html

With each of these MADI to AVB converters(depending on additional features), you can route channels from(or to) the UFX+ via MADI, into(or from) a network and to(or from) any other computer you would like!

Also, if another interface is needed on the other computer, you can add the DigiFace AVB in the picture!
  Link:    https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-avb.html

Hope, this gets you covered! Let us know, what you think!!