1 (edited by Lkdog 2020-10-27 06:56:18)

Topic: Is adding an RME ADI-2 DAC to an OPPO 105 an upgrade?

Have been thinking of adding an external DAC to my OPPO 105 universal player that I use to play CDs/SACDs/DSD files, and as network streamer.

It goes into a VAC Standard tube preamp and then Odyssey Kismet monoblocks.
I like my preamp so woudl be keeping that in the signal chain.

Would the RME ADI-2 DAC be a meaningful upgrade?
I was looking at the PS Audio DSD DACs, but the prices used are really pretty high.

The price on the RME and the reviews are pretty impressive.

Any input is welcome.

Thank you.

Re: Is adding an RME ADI-2 DAC to an OPPO 105 an upgrade?

Hi Lkdog! smile

It depends on what you mean by "meaningful upgrade". I think in 2020, meaningful upgrades won't be on electronics: a good electronic today (especially player, DAC) is 100% transparent for our ears (the S/N ratio and distorsions rates of modern electonics outperform our limited ears...).
You want meaningful upgrades? Check your speakers and your room... Measure and treat your room, and then eventually apply an EQ for room correction.

And for this last one, room correction, RME ADI-2 DAC can be a meaningful upgrade with its integrated 5 bands EQ. And a lot of other meaningful features: good headphones amp, very clever and unique dynamic loudness function, smart volume handling (4 hardware levels) for instance.

But just for the sound quality, and despite of those silly hifi reviews are saying, for me the upgrade won't be "meaningful" between 2 DACs nowaday...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

@MADI hero -

Thanks for the reply. I just had my amps upgraded by the original builder (Odyssey) . It was a major noticeable improvement.
We did remodel our main listening area and I have done basic Room treatment and careful speaker and sub placements.

Was simply wondering about the newer DAC technology as my OPPO 105 is a few years old.
It has been very good and my sound quality is very good, but one is always looking for improvements.

4 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-27 23:18:16)

Lkdog,

Welcome!  Questions such as this are a tricky proposition.  Almost like cuddling a Skunk. smile

Here, in the midst of an RME user group, you will surely find that we DO enjoy our RMEs!   Keep in mind, the large group of Professional users here who view "Meaningful Upgrades" in a much, MUCH different context than might the Home Audio Enthusiast/"Audiophile"user.

N00b outlined the Key Points earlier.  The RME's Technical Performance, and Incredibly Useful Feature Set have no Rivals.   In the Less-Clearly Defined Audiophile World?   The Choice is Yours in deciding if the "Dreamscapes"..."Emotionality"..."Harmonious Blossoming of Textures.. ,etc. Et al are resonating with your Chi.  wink

Whatever...  wink

Download the User Manual for Starters!   Spend some time with it, and then perhaps see if you can get an RME on Home Demo from a local dealer.   This will go far, and answer ALL your Questions!   Let us know how it goes. 

Enjoy!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

5 (edited by fieldstu 2020-10-27 23:24:35)

"Deeper", "Exclusive", "Beautiful", "Impressive", ..

I'd say try to loan somewhere the RME external DAC and listen in your own a/b test if it suits you better than what you have or not.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

6 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-28 00:02:38)

Lk,

I neglected to mention the RME "Bit-Test"    Manoman!!   If ANYTHING in the Digital Data Path is amiss.. you'll know!!   No guesswork!   That's Cool, and AFAIK. NOBODY else offers this!

Granted, it does not test the Chocolatiness of a Vocal, or the Velvetiness of a Bowed String.  Traditionally, Consumption of a Fine Scotch Whiskey has been the accepted test methodology for such asessments.

All the Fun aside, we're here on the RME Forum because of the Product's Legitimacy.  RME makes NO Statements, NOR Claims that have not been verified by independent tests. 

Honesty Deserves Loyalty.

RME for you!

Curt

fieldstu wrote:

"Deeper", "Exclusive", "Beautiful", "Impressive", ..

I'd say try to loan somewhere the RME external DAC and listen in your own a/b test if it suits you better than what you have or not.

You do NOT miss a "Catch-Phrase" do you Stu!  smile

Good on You! 

Curt

LOL. Actually I am a guitarist who does a fair amount of mixing with prosumer gear ( DAW software/ AXE FX 3/ Focusrite hardware/and Yamaha powered monitors). I realize RME has pro audio gear roots.

Agree the audiophile waxing poetic is obnoxious.

I just love great sound and stumbled on this DAC as a possible upgrade to my OPPO 105.

Maybe I will order one I can return and if it doesn't work out I can return it.

Lkdog wrote:

Maybe I will order one I can return and if it doesn't work out I can return it.

Let's do your homework first, to ensure that the RME has the connectivity, etc that you need.  I'm confident that it will. 

That said, be absolutely certain you clearly understand the Retailer's Return Policies!   There are variations, and they don't often function like Libraries where you can just Borrow Gear for a few days. Uh uh...Noooooooo

Ok!  I had to say it!   A good-faith transaction is always better. 

Curt

Hi Lkdog,

Purchased the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE about a month ago. Had been trying out a BabyFace Pro Fs for a little over a month, wonderful unit but limited in digital connections. I have had a UFX+ for several years. Also a hack guitarist with WAY too much GAS...

About 3 months ago I read about transferring cd’s 1:1 onto a hard drive. Have been using Db Poweramp CD Ripper and it has been amazing! I sit and listen like I did 25 years ago, am amazed at how much better it sounds than listening to the CD or SACD from a Denon DV-3910 (and of course from the CD-ROM)

So I tried the BabyFace Pro this way in comparison to the UFX+; sonically not much difference, both exceptional.
Then I received the ADI-2 and it has been a step up in every way other than not having TotalMix and of course connectivity when compared to the UFX+.

(Audiophile alert:) Has a more open sound in subtle ways and mix placement is more defined. In other words it reproduces the space around the instruments better. High frequencies seem more relaxed even when compared to the UFX+.

Going with either of the Pros would be an upgrade for your DAW as well. Interesting to compare the AES/EBU digital out from the Axe FX into the Pro with the Axe FX analog outputs. The noise floor makes a difference to me even on spoken recording, cleaner signal, less added to the recording. Need an analog mic preamp though.

For headphones, read the posts. Drives them well and sound quality is RME.

It was painful going over double the BabyFace price, but I am very glad I upgraded. It is not as portable but is easy to carry if used live.

Listening Equipment: MacBook pro > Evidence Audio Lyric HG XLR's > pair of Adam A7X

paulsfinney wrote:

Hi Lkdog,

Purchased the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE about a month ago. Had been trying out a BabyFace Pro Fs for a little over a month, wonderful unit but limited in digital connections. I have had a UFX+ for several years. Also a hack guitarist with WAY too much GAS...

About 3 months ago I read about transferring cd’s 1:1 onto a hard drive. Have been using Db Poweramp CD Ripper and it has been amazing! I sit and listen like I did 25 years ago, am amazed at how much better it sounds than listening to the CD or SACD from a Denon DV-3910 (and of course from the CD-ROM)

So I tried the BabyFace Pro this way in comparison to the UFX+; sonically not much difference, both exceptional.
Then I received the ADI-2 and it has been a step up in every way other than not having TotalMix and of course connectivity when compared to the UFX+.

(Audiophile alert:) Has a more open sound in subtle ways and mix placement is more defined. In other words it reproduces the space around the instruments better. High frequencies seem more relaxed even when compared to the UFX+.

Going with either of the Pros would be an upgrade for your DAW as well. Interesting to compare the AES/EBU digital out from the Axe FX into the Pro with the Axe FX analog outputs. The noise floor makes a difference to me even on spoken recording, cleaner signal, less added to the recording. Need an analog mic preamp though.

For headphones, read the posts. Drives them well and sound quality is RME.

It was painful going over double the BabyFace price, but I am very glad I upgraded. It is not as portable but is easy to carry if used live.

Listening Equipment: MacBook pro > Evidence Audio Lyric HG XLR's > pair of Adam A7X

Thanks for the input. Too many choices out there. I am using a huge library of ripped CDs I play via JRIVER over my home network to the OPPO which has a network adapter built in. Have about 15,000 CDs ripped as I was given access to a local DJ full library, the local library system here has a great CD collection, and I have several hundred of my own over the years.

The RME DAC looks great.

12 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-31 16:52:21)

paulsfinney wrote:

...Have been using Db Poweramp CD Ripper and it has been amazing! I sit and listen like I did 25 years ago, am amazed

(Audiophile alert:) Has a more open sound in subtle ways and mix placement is more defined. In other words it reproduces the space around the instruments better. High frequencies seem more relaxed even when compared to the...

+1 for DbPoweramp!  DbPA is such a fine system.  I bought the "Reference" package years ago, and it just keeps "Upgrading" without costing me an additional Cent.   And?  Multiple Device support means the entire family has the latest version on THEIR Computers! (As if they actually needed it)  One never knows.  Maybe my Wife DOES want to upsample her Mp3s to DSD.  big_smile

DbPA - I like!

PS:  The unrelated  "Audiophile Alert" made me laugh! big_smile

Curt