Topic: MacOS: Using volume/media buttons to control Babyface (Pro) Output

I have a Babyface Pro running on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4 and RME Totalmix.

I would like to use the Mac volume/media buttons (i.e. Volume Up and Down on the Magic Keyboard) to control the output of Phones 3/4. Pressing the volume keys currently changes the output of Analog 1/2, which I can see in the Mac application "Audio MIDI Setup".

Changing the volume of Analog 1/2 via this method is a little flimsy, but it appears to work. But can it be made to work (in an advisable/recommended way) for Phones 3/4?

Re: MacOS: Using volume/media buttons to control Babyface (Pro) Output

I just got my Babyface Pro FS, and I have the same question as above. After hours of working with the Totalmix and learning it, I guess I know relatively how it works, but I cannot for the life of me make the Phones 3/4 to link to the Mac Output Volume. As the person above me said it's possible to change the volume of AN 1/2 as it seems that it is somehow linked to the Mac Output Volume by default, but how about the Headphone outputs? Anyway to trick or modify the Totalmix to be able to do that? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Bump! Anyone? I just purchased a Babyface Pro FS (for this spot it's placing an old Focusrite unit). And I need to know how to enable or link the phone output to the Output Volume of Mac OS. AN 1/2 seems to be working, but I cannot find a way to link the Mac OS Volume with any other fader within the Totalmix.

4 (edited by 9794 2020-11-26 15:08:08)

It seems I was able to solve this via the paid software Loopback by Rogue Amoeba for MacOS.

It allows you to create a virtual device and route monitoring to the Babyface Pro. You can then use the Mac volume keys per usual to control the virtual device.

I'm not sure if there are any problems associated with this, but so far it seems to work fine. The additional latency in Ableton Live seems to be 0.5 ms.

https://i.imgur.com/qmwO7us.png