Upper botton for treble
Lower button for bass

Is there a setting where i can set upper for treble and lower for bass
And where can i find it?

Thank you

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Re: Intuitive BASS TREBLE

Ok you mean bass has to be down ..
First of all, never saw this mentioned in the manual.

As a little counter proof that it makes sense (like it is).
When you look at frequency measuring curves, then you have the low frequencies on the left and the high frequencies on the right.

The normal system for us Europeans is
- "from left to right"
- "from top to bottom"
So if Bass is left and treble right, then with vertical arrangement of knobs the result is:
- Bass at the top
- Treble at the bottom.

And as a mnemonic, B comes before T in the alphabet wink

I am pretty sure you might find reasons for the opposite wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Good explanation - now i can understand the reason for this design
Thank you

There are so many things in the world, which are easier to understand if explained :-)

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

4 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-30 20:31:27)

Gosh.. I had to think about this!!   My Thumb, and Forefinger know EXACTLY where to reach to adjust B/T without taxing my already limited Gray-Matter.    That seems to be the Textbook Definition of: "Intuitive"

To Wit:  "using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive."

Vienna, consider also that the Small Encoders (1&2) perform a variety of other functions in the operation of the ADI-2 DAC.  As such, I think the existing configuration is Ideal, and is simply the way it SHOULD be. 

Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-31 00:07:26)

One can try to talk it correct, but it's not.

Everywhere else it's the other way around.

Even with music notation higher voices note on top, and even the name bass (= italiano: base) suggests to be underneath.

Same strange decision like the reversed headphone outputs, 3/4 -1/2 on the front panel.
I know, the idea was to get the plug out of the way, but as soon as you have two plugs in, that's nope.

Finally it's easy to remember, with the ADI-2 everything is upside down smile
Fortunately the volume dial runs in the right direction smile smile smile

KaiS wrote:

One can try to talk it correct, but it's not.

Everywhere else it's the other way around.

Even with music notation higher voices note on top, and even the name bass (= italiano: base) suggests to be underneath.

Same strange decision like the reversed headphone outputs, 3/4 -1/2 on the front panel.
I know, the idea was to get the plug out of the way, but as soon as you have two plugs in, that's nope.

Finally it's easy to remember, with the ADI-2 everything is upside down smile
Fortunately the volume dial runs in the right direction smile smile smile

Agree with you.

+1 for bass on the botton and high on top.
As (at least my) logic and the same words suggest.

7 (edited by Curt962 2020-11-01 04:32:43)

Gosh People. 

Two (2) Encoders.   It's One or the Other.    Narrows things down  wink

It's not like we're sifting through a Bag of Marbles, etc in order to simply tweak the tone.  Not at all.  Just turn the @#+&'ing knob, (one or the other) and be done with it.   The System will work EXACTLY the same way next time, and you're going to figure it out!  Humans have the ability to adapt!   Even Old People like Me!

Interestingly, I see more clearly now WHY we need to put "Warning Labels" on everything.  Ex:  I have some Copper Sulfate solution at home.  To aid in maintaining my Septic Tank.   In BOLD print...the label states:  DO NOT DRINK!

No Sh_t,??  Really? 

Gosh.  I SO WANTED a Taste!

Maybe if the Mfr was so considerate to make the Substance NON-Poisonous, I could have things MY WAY.  :  More "intuitive" as it were..

We're NOT getting smarter folks!!

wink

8 (edited by AndreasW 2020-11-01 19:44:11)

LOL

Being a GERMAN engineer I must confess that the current B/T layout also makes absolutely no sense to me.
I don't know why, but I simply expect the highs at top and the bass at bottom position.

It was weird to me right from the beginning and still is.

Would it perhaps help to turn the ADI upside down ? wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Laughing!!

I cannot believe this matter is even a topic of discussion!  My Fingers seem to know exactly where to go, so I absolutely DO NOT GIVE A RAT'S A$$ which is which!

Wow!   Surely there are greater things to worry about yes?

Curt962 wrote:

Laughing!!

I cannot believe this matter is even a topic of discussion!  My Fingers seem to know exactly where to go, so I absolutely DO NOT GIVE A RAT'S A$$ which is which!

Wow!   Surely there are greater things to worry about yes?

I actually found it more logical for bass to be on top but that's because I typically don't adjust treble as often as bass - but I can see the rationale about treble at the 'high' position wink

12 (edited by KaiS 2020-11-02 07:56:30)

I know it's beating a dead horse, but:

At least the ADI-2 PRO aims at audio professionals, recording studios too.

We are used to have treble on top, bass at the bottom, channel 1/2 to the left ... - on the tool we are all working with all day long, the mixing console.
EQ is even labeled this way usually: Hi, Lo or the like.

I remember a live mixing console (YAMAHA PM 3000) that had reversed (rel. to common standard) Gain and Pan controls.
Everyone hated it for that, live mixing is intuitive and fast:
Guess what happens if you quickly turn a channel's signal to the right ... arghhh!

13 (edited by ramses 2020-11-02 07:51:18)

Oh dear, yes I can imagine.

On the other hand .. most of the time bass is more critical, if you operate the ADI-2 Pro with just one
and in my case with the left hand, then its great to have Bass on the top.

For my home recording studio I keep Bass and Treble at "0" all the time.
For my HiFi corner I have a permanent bass boost of +3 if I remember right, which is just right for me.

By this I have more or less kind of static settings plus the comfort of dynamic loudness.

Solution might be a setup setting Option:
Bass/Treble -- RME style or reverse

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

15 (edited by Curt962 2020-11-03 20:42:59)

Or!

I was very near the Equator yesterday, when it suddenly occured to me!!

Move to the Southern Hemisphere!  Everything is reversed there! big_smile

Even TOILETS flush backwards.  Coriolis Force.  Pure Science.   RME did it right, and embraced an entire Hemisphere of Persons who have been for SO long ignored.  smile

Curt

How does it work directly ON the Equator - please check it out.

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

17 (edited by N00b 2020-11-04 10:21:37)

Viennacalling wrote:

Solution might be a setup setting Option:
Bass/Treble -- RME style or reverse

We don't have to figure out a solution if there is no problem big_smile
As Kais said, I agree "Bass" would have been more "intuitive" to me on the lower encoder ("low pitched" refers to bass, bass part on piano scores are on the bottom, and in French, "Basses" litteraly means low!).

But on the other side, as Curt said, it's only 2 encoders, even my weak brain can handle that... And "B" and "T" are engraved on the unit, so for me it won't make sense to reverse it: the engraving won't change (FPGA programming is powerful but not that much).

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

18 (edited by Curt962 2020-11-05 00:21:33)

Viennacalling wrote:

How does it work directly ON the Equator - please check it out.

Vienna,  my DAC is sitting comfortably at 33deg No. Lat.  I was simply on a spur of the Moment Job assignment.

Now what WOULD concern me...

WHAT HAPPENS TO TOILETS ON THE EQUATOR!!??   Oh the Humanity!

The implications are frightening. big_smile

Curt

I will also add to the topic. I've been using my DAC for almost three years now, and when I sometimes want to add a little correction, I'll always turn the wrong knob. It would be nice to swap the positions of these regulators forever. Besides, it is the best equipped DAC I could dream of :-)

20 (edited by Curt962 2021-02-02 03:57:28)

How did this thread come back to life?  Please...

Let's not be the group that complains that their Gourmet Ice Cream Parfait was served Cold.  wink

Adapt.  The encoders are only mm apart.  The hand can be trained.

It's all about the Bass! (That's why it's on top)

https://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk

C'mon People!  Enjoy!

Curt