Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS using both analog output at the same time.

Is it unwise or counterproductive to use both analog out in the ADI-2 DAC at the same time.

As In..  I am pluging XLR out to an amplifier (Behringer A800) and RCA out is plugged to SB-1000 Subwoofer.

RME ADI-2 like we have mentioned other times is set to auto ref level on, gain/volume in both the amp and the sub is pretty low and ADI-2 DAC normally goes about -15dBr -7dBr the max volume I use to have.

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS using both analog output at the same time.

Ezra, I'm not sure, but give it a try!

You won't ruin anything...

You MUST consider however that the Balanced Output of your RME has 6db Greater Output!    You will need to compensate by increasing level on your Sub, or decreasing level on your Behringer.

My SVSs don't need this.  They're Balanced all the way. wink

Love those SVSs!    Great Team behind them

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Hey Curt962!

Yes, I'm already doing it, adjusted gain/volume in both to match in my hearing, great combination in sound.

My question is precisely that since both outputs have different level If there is any problems from the DAC to handle both outputs to different devices wihich probably different sensitivity and all those things I still have no clue about.

And yes, SVS has been a great addition to my room since I recently added it, seems everyone seems to recommend them and talk well about it, it was easy choice, specially the sb-1000 with its small form factor, ideal for my 11m2 room smile

4 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-30 22:28:54)

Hi Ezra!

The DAC Chip doesn't care.  It's the Analog Output devices that are doing the Bull Work.   Methinks they can handle both simultaneously without issue.   It's been done already.

Oh!!!  On Level Matching your Sub to your Mains...You pushed my Button!!  smile  (I only have One Button now.  There once were several)

Please use an SPL Meter (or equiv)!   Simple test:  Shoot some Pink Noise through your Mains (Only!) .  Adust Vol to achieve a 75-80db SPL.   NOW LEAVE THE VOL ALONE!! 

Now shoot that same Signal through your Sub (all by itself...no mains) Adjust IT'S Level to match that which the Mains produced.  Voilá!!   You are now Level Matched, and will not endlessly fart around with Sub Level.   You will already know...Sub Level is MATCHED!!

Ezra, I've done this before, and trust when I say that omitting this step will cause you to spend MORE time dinking around with Sub Level, than you EVER would listening to Music. wink

In preserving one's Sanity,  Level matching is mandatory.

Just Saying...

Fun Stuff!

Curt

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but that  SB-1000 Subwoofer left me wondering if I would benefit on getting one too...
I use my ADI-2 DAC Fs connected to a pair of hedd type 20, any advantages on adding that SVS sub to my setup?

Regards
Fábio

Hi Fabio!   Long time!...Welcome Back!

I always believe a Pair of Subs is a fine idea, and my Hedds are real happy with my SVSs (SB4000equiv)

Refresh my memory please.   How much Room do you have?   

Best!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Fabio!   Long time!...Welcome Back!

I always believe a Pair of Subs is a fine idea, and my Hedds are real happy with my SVSs (SB4000equiv)

Refresh my memory please.   How much Room do you have?   

Best!

Curt

Hi Curt, thanks for the reply and warm welcome!
I will be soon moving to a new house, but atm my room is about 5m length and 5m wide.

Regrds

8 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-31 15:29:50)

Ok...

A Pair of Subs (Pairs have advantages) is a costly, albeit Wonderful proposition!

I think it best to direct you to SVS (US) for specific guidance.   Specifically, I'll ask you to communicate with Ed Mullen:

edm@svsound.com 

He's the Chief of Engineering, and would be most qualified to discuss sales in your Country, Product choices, and implementation.    I will say from first-hand experiences, that Ed is a Walking, Talking Repository of Acoustic/Technical Knowledge!!

No Audiophile BS.    wink

It costs nothing to ask!

Best!

Curt

*If I can extend my Sermon just a bit further...

Like RME, one of the BEST advantages SVS offers, is the Customer's easy access to Expert Technical Guidance, and Product Support!  This is Valuable, as the most amazing Sub on Earth can make you VERY SAD if poorly implemented in a Room.  wink

I've had my SVSs almost 10yrs, and have never had a moments regret.     How's that?  big_smile

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Ezra!

The DAC Chip doesn't care.  It's the Analog Output devices that are doing the Bull Work.   Methinks they can handle both simultaneously without issue.   It's been done already.

Oh!!!  On Level Matching your Sub to your Mains...You pushed my Button!!  smile  (I only have One Button now.  There once were several)

Please use an SPL Meter (or equiv)!   Simple test:  Shoot some Pink Noise through your Mains (Only!) .  Adust Vol to achieve a 75-80db SPL.   NOW LEAVE THE VOL ALONE!! 

Now shoot that same Signal through your Sub (all by itself...no mains) Adjust IT'S Level to match that which the Mains produced.  Voilá!!   You are now Level Matched, and will not endlessly fart around with Sub Level.   You will already know...Sub Level is MATCHED!!

Ezra, I've done this before, and trust when I say that omitting this step will cause you to spend MORE time dinking around with Sub Level, than you EVER would listening to Music. wink

In preserving one's Sanity,  Level matching is mandatory.

Just Saying...

Fun Stuff!

Curt

Hey Curt!

Great tip, and I have REW and a mic lying around to test that, so I will do it, I generally do it by ear with good results, but definetly with the mic and the pink noise to get certain db, it will be just perfect!

Thanks for the great tip!

Fsilva wrote:

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but that  SB-1000 Subwoofer left me wondering if I would benefit on getting one too...
I use my ADI-2 DAC Fs connected to a pair of hedd type 20, any advantages on adding that SVS sub to my setup?

Regards
Fábio

No worries.

I had the same question until a couple of months ago when I bought my subwoofer. Just get one, do not doubt, music is whole when you get the real full range, until that point you will always have the feeling you are missing something, or at least, that was the feeling I had until I got mine.

11 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-31 19:28:04)

Hi Again Ezra!

Setting Subs "by Ear" CAN work (if you're a Trained Cellist/Bassist)    I'm neither...but we did it that way nonetheless routinely decades ago.   It truly didn't work then either.  We were continually raising/lowering Sub Levels to suit the moment.  No!  I say

Man!!

A few Measurements, and you just might be amazed!

I love this Stuff!!  big_smile

Thanks for stopping by!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Ok...

A Pair of Subs (Pairs have advantages) is a costly, albeit Wonderful proposition!

I think it best to direct you to SVS (US) for specific guidance.   Specifically, I'll ask you to communicate with Ed Mullen:

edm@svsound.com 

He's the Chief of Engineering, and would be most qualified to discuss sales in your Country, Product choices, and implementation.    I will say from first-hand experiences, that Ed is a Walking, Talking Repository of Acoustic/Technical Knowledge!!

No Audiophile BS.    wink

It costs nothing to ask!

Best!

Curt

*If I can extend my Sermon just a bit further...

Like RME, one of the BEST advantages SVS offers, is the Customer's easy access to Expert Technical Guidance, and Product Support!  This is Valuable, as the most amazing Sub on Earth can make you VERY SAD if poorly implemented in a Room.  wink

I've had my SVSs almost 10yrs, and have never had a moments regret.     How's that?  big_smile

Thanks for the heads up Curt!!
I will follow your advice and contact him for guidance!

Regards,
Fábio

I would like for you to WIN Fabio!

Let's not worry about your existing Room...Let's think about your NEW HOME! That's where all this gear will be..   wink

Curt