Topic: Problem updating MadiFace driver, killed MadiFace.

After reading about driver update 0.9728 (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 20#p161020) i decided to do so. I saw two installation windows very short. Therefore i opened the driver settings, about, and saw version 9673. Startet system new, still 9673. Running RMEIinstaller.exe again, new start, still 9673.

Manual says:

Windows Plug & Play methods do not cover the registration of the ASIO driver. This entry can be removed from the registry by a software de-installation request. This request can be found (like all de-installation entries) in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Click on the entry 'RME MADIface', then Uninstall.

I had no entry 'RME Madiface'.

Then i made my big mistake. i uninstalled the ADI-2 Pro in the windows device manager with driver 9673. Afterwards i tried to run RMEInstaller.exe for 9782 again. But then i only got ADI-2 Pro (5990144) no MadiFace and no ASIO support.

I cleaned the registry already, tried to install the new 9673 and the old 9673 several times, without and with ADI-2 Pro connected. Nothing helped. 3 hours wasted.

I installed ASIO4ALL v2.13. This workes, can be selected in Foobar2000 and my ADI-2 Pro FS shows correct sampling rates. But i want my RME ASIO MadiFace back. Has someone any idea?

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

2 (edited by JoW 2020-11-07 15:20:49)

Re: Problem updating MadiFace driver, killed MadiFace.

This is the software setup I have with my ADI-2 Dac, but  I assume it is similar with the Pro.
Since you also seem to be from Germany, I assume, you have your windows system set to use the german language - like I have.
If you have any differences, let me know:

You might need to uninstall Asio4All before (re-)installing the RME drivers - not sure about this.

When I go to Windows Menu > Einstellungen > Apps
and search for "RME", I see 2 apps:
- RME MADIface USB
- Windows-Treiberpacket - RME MADIface (release-date current-version-number)

When I open the Windows Menu, type "geräte-manager" and open it,
I can select "Audio-, Video- und Gamecontroller" > RME ADI-2 DAC
Right click it and select "Treiber aktualisieren" > "Auf meinem Computer nach Treibern suchen" > "Aus einer Liste verfügbarer Treiber auf meinem Computer auswählen" there you should be able to switch between the windows-default driver and the one (or possibly more) by RME. Of course, here you want to select the RME Driver, if it is not already selected.

When I open the Windows Menu, type "start-apps" and open it,
I see an entry "MADIface Settings" which is enabled.

3 (edited by rawac 2020-11-07 15:56:22)

JoW wrote:

You might need to uninstall Asio4All before installing the RME drivers - not sure about this.

I tried to install RME Drivers about 10 times before i installed Asio4All today the first time.

JoW wrote:

When I go to Windows Menu > Einstellungen > Apps
and search for "RME", I see 2 apps:
- RME MADIface USB
- Windows-Treiberpacket - RME MADIface (release-date current-version-number)

This is perhaps part of the problem. They are not there.

JoW wrote:

When I open the Windows Menu, type "geräte-manager" and open it,
I can select "Audio-, Video- und Gamecontroller" > RME ADI-2 DAC
Right click it and select "Treiber aktualisieren" > "Auf meinem Computer nach Treibern suchen" > "Aus einer Liste verfügbarer Treiber auf meinem Computer auswählen" there you should be able to switch between the windows-default driver and the one (or possibly more) by RME. Of course, here you want to select the RME Driver, if it is not already selected.

I can select ADI-2 Pro, but it has an exclamation mark and says

Die Treiber für dieses Gerät wurden nicht installiert. (Code 28)

Es sind keine kompatiblen Treiber für dieses Gerät vorhanden

I can't find a Windows default driver or a RME driver, after "Aus einer Liste verfügbarer Treiber auf meinem Computer auswählen"

JoW wrote:

When I open the Windows Menu, type "start-apps" and open it,
I see an entry "MADIface Settings" which is enabled.

Not there, neither enabled nor disabled.

Any possibility for a manual installation with "Treiber aktualisieren", update driver dialog by selecting a directory which contains the files, not the installer.exe?

The 2 windows i see when running RMEInstaller.exe are the Microsoft Visual C++ Minimal Runtime. Both are only a short "flash".

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

It seems like you have trouble running the installer.
When I open the installer, I also have 2 windows flashing and closing, but then I see a 3rd window with the usual Install Wizard. From there on everything works as expected.

Maybe you can try right click on rmeinstaller.exe and then select "Als Administrator ausführen".
I don't know of anything else that might help here.

DPINST.LOG in the Windows directory...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by rawac 2020-11-08 08:27:12)

First: Thank you all for your help!

C:\Windows\DPINST.LOG , last change from January, 7th 2020 says:

INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   01/07/2020 18:50:55
INFO:   Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO:   Version: 6.2.9200
INFO:   Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO:   Service Pack: 0.0
INFO:   Suite: 0x0100, Product Type: 1
INFO:   Architecture: AMD64.
INFO:   Running under Local System Account
INFO:   Interactive Windows Station
INFO:   Command Line: '"C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI5DA3.tmp" /SW /SA /Q /PATH "C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WDCSAM\\"'
INFO:   DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   Current working directory: 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer'
INFO:   Running on path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WDCSAM\'
INFO:   No valid 'dpinst.xml' file provided.
INFO:   Install option set: Suppressing Wizard but no OS popups.
INFO:   Install option set: Running in quiet mode. Suppressing Wizard and OS popups.
INFO:   Install option set: Suppress Add or Remove Programs entries.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WDCSAM\\wdcsam.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'c:\program files (x86)\western digital\wdcsam\\wdcsam.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0xE000024B)
INFO:   Returning with code 0x80010000
INFO:   01/07/2020 18:50:55

@JoW
I always do updates with an administrator log in with full rights. But i had the same idea as you, started RMEInstaller.exe with right click and "Als Administrator ausführen". Didn't change anything.  I also had an idea, that RMEINstaller.exe is somehow connected with my trouble. That was the reason i asked for guidance for manual installation.

The trouble with RMEInstaller seems not to be new. I updated to 9700 in January and to 9723 in October, but didn't looked for success. Now i know, it didn't work then.

I have also tried to install with deactivated virus protection, firewall, ... but ineffective.

Ralf

That means Windows own installer did not start at all, without error messages. The only reason I could think of is the two dialogs that you see, they try to install the necessary net components. If that fails the installer won't work. But again you should have seen an error message. I have to search which ones these are, you could try to install them manually then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Tried again to solve the problem. Put all old MadiFace*.* Files back to the Windows directories from my Backup this summer.
C:\Windows\System32\madifaceusb.exe is now running, but does not connect to the ADI-2 Pro and does not open Settings. I'm thinking about the driver for the ADI-2 Pro beeing still a problem.

http://www.rawac.de/bilder/RME/ADI2Pro_Driver_Missing.jpg

Ralf

Ok, not .NET but VC redistributables:

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Install these first then try the driver again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by rawac 2020-11-09 19:46:17)

Sorry, i have to ask you for more help.

Installed both Visual C packages. No problem with this:

http://www.rawac.de/bilder/RME/MS_Visual_C_installed.jpg

Restarted the computer, then started RMEInstaller.exe. Did not change anything: no installation program window visible, only the two short Visual C++ progress bar windows. I tried several times, also started the Task Manager before. During this 2 times 1 second the Visual C++ windows are visible Task Manager says RMEInstaller.exe is running, but nothing before, between or after.

Still the exclamation mark with the yellow triangle in the device manager (Geräte-Manger), as shown in my post yesterday.

By the way: Setup_591.exe for DigiCheck runs without any problem.

Ralf

I have no explanation for that, sorry. I also can not remember to have seen that case before. You could try to disable all kinds of anitivirus and malware software on your computer, maybe that doesn't like the installer.exe. If you don't have then at least disable Defender.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by rawac 2020-11-10 07:50:11)

MC wrote:

... You could try to disable all kinds of anitivirus and malware software on your computer, maybe that doesn't like the installer.exe. If you don't have then at least disable Defender.

This was one of the first things i tried: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 73#p161073

rawac wrote:

First: Thank you all for your help!
I have also tried to install with deactivated virus protection, firewall, ... but ineffective.

When i asked for an advice for manual installation i thought about installing the driver for the ADI-2 Pro FS, not the Visual C++ Runtime. I also looked up the log file of the security software. No entry about RMEInstaller there, ore anything else at the time i tried.

Ralf

I think you should save all work ect.
Reinstall windows.
I find that the easiest solution.

14 (edited by rawac 2020-11-10 15:58:35)

@terry999:
Reinstalling windows would be easy, but reinstalling the Embracadero Delphi X3 development suite with the old Borland BDE is more than painful. My whole music database depends on this.

@Matthias:
Had some more tries. Did RMEInstaller.exe on an other system and had a close look.

http://www.rawac.de/bilder/RME/Treiberinstallation_madiface.jpg

Put all these files together and used the old command line:

http://www.rawac.de/bilder/RME/Kommandozeileninstallation_madiface.jpg

Ok, no certificate, but this can be bypassed by starting windows 10 with option 7

http://www.rawac.de/bilder/RME/Kommandozeileninstallation_madiface_v02.jpg

Looked good, but still not working. Windows does not connect this driver to the ADI-2 Pro, the exclamation mark with the yellow triangle is not gone. Something is still missing.

My computer shows: ADI-2Pro (59901544)
On the good installation it is shown as: RME ADI-2 Pro

Ralf

I've given up.

I made several other installations with the Microsoft C++ Runtime meanwhile, all are working without any problem, only Madiface ... sad sad sad .

Today i bought a cheap netbook, 11" display, 64 GB SSD, 200 Euro. Nothing for real computer work, but enough for connecting an 2.5" external drive via foobar2000, foobar ASIO support, Madiface USB driver to the ADI-2 Pro FS. (Now i know what Windows 10 S-Mode means and how to get rid of it)

Ralf

16 (edited by leo2821124 2021-04-12 14:24:16)

I just got my adi-2 2 weeks ago having exactly the same issue with all the c++ runtimes installed.
When i was trying to fix this up, i found this thread.
After a few more attempts, i've finally got this worked out.
Just in case someone might have the same problem, i'll just share how i fixed it here.

It seems like the rmeinstaller.exe will extract the whole installation file to the path: %LOCALAPPDATA%\temp\rme before the Driver Package Installer starts up and somehow it just acts up.
So i just ran the installer in Windows Sandbox and copied all the file in that path to the current OS through the cloud drive . Then run the dpinst64.exe in that file to install the driver. Everything just works fine right now.

Hope this would help. smile

Hip hip hooray big_smile cool

Got my Madiface driver back! That was the right idea.

I didn't use a sandbox, just an other computer with Win10.
When the RME Driver Installer appeared on the screen i could copy C:\users\<my account>\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\ (all files and subdirectories) to an USB stick. Cancel or perform the RME Driver Installer deletes the directory. Copying this onto the Computer with the problem, into the same location, i was able to start dpinst64.exe there.

Leo, if you ever come to the south west corner of Germany, please send me an email. I will invite you to the best bottle of German beer you have ever drunk.

Ralf

18 (edited by beat8000 2021-04-12 21:55:22)

I had a similar issue when I did some tests with several asio drivers. Suddenly my Madiface app did not appear any more in the system tray and all reinstall trails with the rmeinstaller failed. Fortunately I could solve this issue with a deletion of the Madiface app in Programs and Features and after that with a new install.

I have just forced your issue with a manual deletion of the Adi 2 pro driver and RME Madiface in Programs and Features. I also got the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager and a failure with the rmeinstaller.

This error could be solved with an additional deletion of the Adi 2 Pro driver in the device manager and with the option delete the driver software for this device. After the reinstall the Madiface app did not appear immediately in the system tray but only after a restart.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

beat8000 wrote:

I had a similar issue when I did some tests with several asio drivers. Suddenly my Madiface app did not appear any more in the system tray and all reinstall trails with the rmeinstaller failed. Fortunately I could solve this issue with a deletion of the Madiface app in Programs and Features ....

I think, it is not similar, because in my case

1. the old MadiFace was still visible and working, just the update didn't work

2. I had no >RME MADIface< App Programs and Features, so no uninstall was possible

Even deleting the device, manual cleaning of the registry and deleting the old files by hand did not help.

Here is the DPINST.LOG after the manual installation yesterday.

INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   04/12/2021 17:43:56
INFO:   Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO:   Version: 6.0.6000 
INFO:   Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO:   Service Pack: 0.0
INFO:   Suite: 0x0100, Product Type: 1
INFO:   Architecture: AMD64.
INFO:   Interactive Windows Station
INFO:   Command Line: '"C:\Users\Ralf Wacker\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\dpinst64.exe" '
INFO:   DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO:   ****************************************
INFO:   Current working directory: 'C:\Users\Ralf Wacker\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   Running on path 'C:\Users\Ralf Wacker\AppData\Local\Temp\rme'
INFO:   User UI Language is 0x407.
INFO:   Install option set: Force install if driver is not better.
INFO:   Install option set: uninstall will be set to delete driver binaries.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'C:\Users\Ralf Wacker\AppData\Local\Temp\rme\madiface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'c:\users\ralf wacker\appdata\local\temp\rme\madiface_usb.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
SUCCESS:c:\users\ralf wacker\appdata\local\temp\rme\madiface_usb.inf is preinstalled.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageGetPathW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageGetPathW  (0x0)
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
INFO:   Installing INF file 'c:\users\ralf wacker\appdata\local\temp\rme\madiface_usb.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO:   Looking for Model Section [Devices.NTAMD64]...
INFO:   No matching devices found in INF "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\madiface_usb.inf_amd64_f7fcf25ebcf9332c\madiface_usb.inf" on the Machine.
INFO:   No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\madiface_usb.inf_amd64_f7fcf25ebcf9332c\madiface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0xE000020B)
INFO:   No matching device was found for 'c:\users\ralf wacker\appdata\local\temp\rme\madiface_usb.inf'. Driver will be installed when plugged in.
INFO:   Created entry in Add or Remove Programs for 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\madiface_usb.inf_amd64_f7fcf25ebcf9332c\madiface_usb.inf'.
INFO:   Returning with code 0x100
INFO:   04/12/2021 17:44:29

This shows dpinst64.exe wasn't running at all, when  RMEIinstaller.exe failed.

Ralf

leo2821124 wrote:

I just got my adi-2 2 weeks ago having exactly the same issue with all the c++ runtimes installed.
Just in case someone might have the same problem, i'll just share how i fixed it here.

It seems like the rmeinstaller.exe will extract the whole installation file to the path: %LOCALAPPDATA%\temp\rme before the Driver Package Installer starts up and somehow it just acts up.
So i just ran the installer in Windows Sandbox and copied all the file in that path to the current OS through the cloud drive . Then run the dpinst64.exe in that file to install the driver. Everything just works fine right now.

Too complicated. wink

path\rmeinstaller.exe /manual

will extract all files into C:\RMEdriver. Problem is this function was broken since 0.9679, but is back in the just released v 0.9735.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
leo2821124 wrote:

Too complicated. wink

path\rmeinstaller.exe /manual

will extract all files into C:\RMEdriver. Problem is this function was broken since 0.9679, but is back in the just released v 0.9735.

Are you sure the right update file was posted for version 0.9735? I just downloaded and updated my ADI2 PRO FS but my driver version is still showing up as 0.9734 (after rebooting). Then I checked your download page again and realized the download link is still pointing to the file that indicates it's the 0.9734 version?

22 (edited by rawac 2021-04-14 07:20:18)

Looks like a typo. Instead of clicking the link i copied it. After pasting it in the address line of the browser i changed the 4 to 5:
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_m … _09735.zip
and got the (brand new) zip file.

Using this zip file and the parameter ...\rmeinstaller.exe /manual i got MADIFace Series Settings Driver version 0.9735, Driver date 12.04.2021 installed. (ReadMe log says, that the unpack option /manual is the only change to 0.9734, therefore no need to install, if everything is working with 0.9734. I just wanted to see, whether it works manually on my computer.)

Ralf

rawac wrote:

Looks like a typo. Instead of clicking the link i copied it. After pasting it in the address line of the browser i changed the 4 to 5:
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_m … _09735.zip
and got the (brand new) zip file.

Using this zip file and the parameter ...\rmeinstaller.exe /manual i got MADIFace Series Settings Driver version 0.9735, Driver date 12.04.2021 installed. (ReadMe log says, that the unpack option /manual is the only change to 0.9734, therefore no need to install, if everything is working with 0.9734. I just wanted to see, whether it works manually on my computer.)

Thanks. Your fixed link also worked for me (including installing from that file - all is working as expected after installation).

rawac wrote:

ReadMe log says, that the unpack option /manual is the only change to 0.9734, therefore no need to install

Nope. readme says TM FX 1.72 is included.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
rawac wrote:

ReadMe log says, that the unpack option /manual is the only change to 0.9734, therefore no need to install

Nope. readme says TM FX 1.72 is included.

Sorry, i thought the ADI-2 Pro does not support TotalMix. This made me think that ADI-2 Pro users do not need to install it.

Ralf

There are lots of people that read less than half of a thread, and even half of posts. They will find this and get a false impression. That's why I added the info. Yes, else no change for ADI-2 Pro and DAC users.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME