1 (edited by dadadada 2020-11-08 16:08:14)

Topic: Totalmix not showing VU meters/Levels

Hi,
I am confused as to why Totalmix stopped displaying any levels in the mixer. (VU meters next to each fader)
I see the levels on my UFX+ hardware display, and hear them in the speakers, but nothing is visible in any channels of Totalmix.
Not on the outputs, not the inputs, nothing.
I tried reinstalling but no difference.

I am on latest UFX+ firmware, OSX 10.15.7 and a 2019 mac pro.

Re: Totalmix not showing VU meters/Levels

Which driver, which TM FX?

Did you check that the UFX+ is selected as device in TM FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver 3.19 which i thought installed totalmix as well?
Totalmix is 1.66

Yes, there is only one interface available and that is UFX+, which is selected.

Does the UFX+ work as playback and record device? Is the Settings dialog opening?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
Not exactly sure I understand the question but yes, it works for record and playback when used in my DAW.
Settings dialog opens in totalmix without issues, the Fireface USB settings app opens as well when I launch it.
Oh and fireface firmware is v52.

Can you try DigiCheck NG 0.85 to check its level meters?

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30796

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see the levels on the hardware display. I see no levels or anything else on Digicheck NG.
Selected device is the UFX+

Any ideas what is going on?

9 (edited by dadadada 2020-11-12 10:21:43)

After every restart I get this message:

Changes detected - Channel, FX and Mix settings of Device and TotalMix are different.

Click Yes to use the TotalMix settings (default)

Click No to upload the Device' settings into TotalMix

Mix Settings can be estimated only.

I tried options / reset mix  / total reset.

No difference.

I've used a different older unit on this machine before (UFX not UFX+) which I no longer own.
Maybe I should try to reset everything on this machine as if totalmix was never installed?

Maybe some old settings files are causing confusion here?

Would appreciate some more help, I've used RME devices for 10+ years now and never had such issues before.

Can you provide a screenshot of Totalmix?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

13 (edited by dadadada 2020-11-12 16:50:22)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nudikn2v7vvb … x.jpg?dl=0

Any idea what is happening or what I should do? Did the screenshot help?

Any ideas what I should try? Thank you!

dadadada wrote:

I've used a different older unit on this machine before (UFX not UFX+) which I no longer own.
Maybe I should try to reset everything on this machine as if totalmix was never installed?

Maybe some old settings files are causing confusion here?

Would appreciate some more help, I've used RME devices for 10+ years now and never had such issues before.

The screenshot is a bit confusing. The 12 analog input channels show level, you can read the text, it is the self noise of the AD conversion. As soon as you apply a solid input signal the bars of the level meters should come up in green. All digital and software channels show UFL, means nothing is going on (no input signal, no playback signal).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by dadadada 2020-11-17 08:08:22)

MC wrote:

The screenshot is a bit confusing. The 12 analog input channels show level, you can read the text, it is the self noise of the AD conversion. As soon as you apply a solid input signal the bars of the level meters should come up in green. All digital and software channels show UFL, means nothing is going on (no input signal, no playback signal).

Sure, but of course there was audio playing at full level (mic input and software playback) while i made the screenshot. While I made the screenshot levels were displayed as expected on the display of the UFX+ hardware and at the same time audible at the usual level through my speakers. No levels at all are shown at any point in totalmix regardless of wether there is a signal or not.

That is the reason I posted here. 

sidenote: I recently installed a few drivers mostly to get audio into video calls like: Zoomaudio, roque amoeba loopback, Blackhole (which replaced soundflower) and Dante Via and DVS. Maybe one of those causes totalmix to behave like it does?

Can you reproduce this with a different setup or computer? Not something I've seen, sorry...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just tried on my macbook air with 10.12.6
First time install of totalmix on this machine.
Installed totalmix 3.19
Everything works fine.
So what should i try on the other machine?

Then you might be on the right track. One of the other softwares interferes and steals the audio data or blocks it between Core Audio and TotalMix FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just in case it helps anybody with similar issues:
The solution was to use a different USB port - for some reason it did not work with my Sonnet PCIe USB card, but it does when connected directly to the internal USB port.