1 (edited by GrumpyEye 2020-11-17 20:04:56)

Topic: MADIface XT + ADI 2 pro FSR B BE issues

Hey guys, I just got the Madiface XT and Adi 2 pro fsrbe a month ago, and I'm getting some serious issues with them.

My setup is:
2x Antelope Orion 32HDgen3 connected to the Madiface XT via madi, and adi 2 pro is just used for the monitoring via AES.
MADIface XT  is connected to the usb 3.0 port on my PC, and the ADI2 is connected to the usb 2.0 port. No busses or anything - straight into the motherboard usb ports.

Before all of that, I just had an orion 32HDgen3 as the main interface. And everything was going smooth when it was working (don't get me started on their software integration and bad usb protocol) so I went with RME because it was always stable and working. I had ff800 for about 10 or 12 years, and it worked without a hickup. Madiface XT is set as a master clock.

Here's what's happening now:
Every now and then I'm getting pops and clicks in my monitoring. When I look at the ADI and the madiface I see that the pops are indeed something that happens in them since I can clearly see the peak meters going down on them.

And that's when they are idle and not doing anything (for example - scrolling on the internet).

When I get into cubase.. man, that's a whole different story.. Not only that I get clicks and pops, I can't get my buffer level (or should I say latency) under 512 samples even on an empty project. And every 5 or 10 minutes everything starts to collapse and I get serious latency issues, with the whole sound getting all jittery and filled with clicks and pops, that sound like it's an buffer issue, but cubase has like 3 vst's running, and it's memory and cpu are not even that high.

I then switch the buffer size, and I get it to run for 5 or 10 more minutes without any bugs, but it happens again, even if I don't add or record anything (vst, or synths, or vocals). When I hit 2048 samples and it happens again, I have to either reload the project, or drop the buffer down to 1024 so the project runs smoothly again.
Funny thing is, I'm currently producing an hip hop album, so there's really not much going on in terms of processing, like.. I mostly use hardware synths, and the MPC or sometimes Battery as an VST, but most of the processing is done internally on the UAD DSPs. 
Thank god I'm not doing a pop project right now with hundreds of tracks and VST instruments or effect plugins, because I know that this setup wouldn't last for long. But since I'm mainly a pop producer, and I do some work for the movie industry, I really need this up and running.
The main thing is, it happens for no reason.. like in the middle of recording vocals, it just goes bonkers. Sometimes I get a high pitched metalized sound, that to be honest I never heard.. It's like ring modulation, but it's not.. Idk how to describe it. It's not subtle at all.

Yesterday I also go a bluescreen error with this message:
Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
What failed: madiface_usb_64.sys

Now, before you ask me.. my USB is set not turn off to conserve power. I did that when I made the PC. I tried connecting the madiface xt to the usb 3.1 port also (currently connected to it) but I get the same issues.

the PC is pretty new, made for my studio, and the specs are:
i7-6800k @ 3.4 Ghz
ASUS Strix x99 motherboard
64gb of ram
Windows 10 Pro

Also, I have to state that before upgrading the studio with the two RME interfaces, I didn't get any similar issues.
So, do you have any idea what could be causing this problem? Any solutions?

Thank you

P.S. sound skipped and popped 10 times as I was typing this post, with youtube going in the background.. sad

Re: MADIface XT + ADI 2 pro FSR B BE issues

X99 chipset ... weren't there issues ? and the XT has a lot of channels ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by GrumpyEye 2020-11-17 20:59:31)

ramses wrote:

X99 chipset ... weren't there issues ? and the XT has a lot of channels ..

I don't get your question? No, there were no issues before... the only issues I had was with antelope's buggy software that sometimes worked, and other times didn't.
Nor do I understand what are you referring to with XT having a lot of channels?
I am not using them all at the same time.

I am streaming around max 10 to 12 IO at the same time.. maybe 14. For the SPL DES, TDX, Neve 542, and sometimes I use the la2a, 1176 or 2xdistressor.. so, it shouldn't be overwhelming the usb port.

Also, I shouldn't get pops and clicks while typing this post with spotify running in the background.

Search the forum for X99.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I thought X99 meanwhile has a 'none DAW' reputation. This is a 'USB can't handle the load problem'. Note that in isochronous transmission there is no scaling. Even if you record and playback only 2 channels, USB will have to transmit all channels of the XT all the time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is it only USB being affected ? Maybe a HDSPe MADI FX would be the solution in such a case.
The card is very similar except Mic inputs.
FX effects, 3 MADI busses, AES, MIDI I/O, Analog Output and the optimizing driver only allicating computer resources for a group of 8 channels.

MC wrote:

I thought X99 meanwhile has a 'none DAW' reputation. This is a 'USB can't handle the load problem'. Note that in isochronous transmission there is no scaling. Even if you record and playback only 2 channels, USB will have to transmit all channels of the XT all the time.

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. I'm new to madi, to be honest.

Which motherboard would you recommend then? Something that would be compatible with this processor that I have, so I don't have to switch the whole system.
Thanks.

ramses wrote:

Is it only USB being affected ? Maybe a HDSPe MADI FX would be the solution in such a case.
The card is very similar except Mic inputs.
FX effects, 3 MADI busses, AES, MIDI I/O, Analog Output and the optimizing driver only allicating computer resources for a group of 8 channels.

too late. I already got the madiface xt, also I don't have any more available pci-e slots since they are all used up with UAD cards.

Do you have nvidia or AMD graphics?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Do you have nvidia or AMD graphics?

Yes.. Nvidia Geforce gtx950.
I have 3 screens connected to it, and I'm doing some video editing now and then.
Why do you ask? smile

From what I read, no experience, An AMD card will fix this. Also some obscure mouse trail setting might help. Search X99 on this forum.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

GrumpyEye wrote:
MC wrote:

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. I'm new to madi, to be honest.

That's not about MADI but the only way to transfer multi-channel audio of that amount over USB. Also mentioned in the XT manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME