Topic: ADI-2 FS Simultaneous use of RCA and XLR outputs

I am on the way to buy an ADI-2 fs. Having a look on the manual it seems to me that RCA and XLR outputs are both active at the same time. Can you confirm? If so, I would like to connect them to different amps, RCA to a AV receiver and XLR to a purifi class D power amp. I am a bit lost to figute out how to set-up the line out reference level: if I am selecting +7 dBu (1.74V) does that ends automatically to this value for rca output and +13dBu (3.46V) for the XLR output at 0 dBFS? If yes, it should nicely match with the input threshold of the 2 amplifiers.
Thanks in advance for your feedback

Re: ADI-2 FS Simultaneous use of RCA and XLR outputs

Ririt wrote:

I am on the way to buy an ADI-2 fs. Having a look on the manual it seems to me that RCA and XLR outputs are both active at the same time.

Yes.

Ririt wrote:

If so, I would like to connect them to different amps, RCA to a AV receiver and XLR to a purifi class D power amp. I am a bit lost to figute out how to set-up the line out reference level: if I am selecting +7 dBu (1.74V) does that ends automatically to this value for rca output and +13dBu (3.46V) for the XLR output at 0 dBFS?

No, and the manual is pretty clear on it. The same level on both outputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your answer. However Section 19 of the manual explained the following:

19.2 Line Out RCA 

The ADI-2 DAC has two unbalanced analog outputs that can operate with levels up to +15.5 dBu (+13 dBu with Volume set to +2.5 dB). The short circuit protected, low impedance line outputs are available as RCA jacks on the back of the unit. 

To maintain an optimum level for devices connected to the analog outputs and to maximize the dynamic range, the ADI-2 DAC internally uses hi-quality electronic switches, which realize a hardware based Reference Level selection in steps of 6 dB over a range of 18 dB: -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu and +13 dBu. 

Note: XLR provides a 6 dB higher output level in all settings, equalling +1 dBu up to +19 dBu.

That is why I was thinking the output level should be different from xlr and rca. Then, can you explain to me what that mean?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-06-14 11:36:55)

RCA connectors are to connect the ADI-2 DAC to typical HiFi devices which work with consumer levels and even if they offer balanced inputs the allowed levels are also here usually lower compared to what is being used in a studio.

1. ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC devices do not only support four different reference levels but also have different output levels.

2. ADI-2 DAC has additionally RCA connectors for unbalanced connections to consumer devices with an even lower level.
So .. on this particular DAC (ADI-2 DAC *) you have 4 different reference levels AND RCA plugs for connecting consumer devices with 6 dB less compared to the XLR plugs.

You can see this easily when looking into the technical data section of the manuals.

EDIT: and in manual ch 12.1 of the ADI-2 DAC FS (https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_e.pdf)

Line Output: Ref Level
Sets the reference level for the analog outputs. Choices are -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu at the RCA output, referenced to digital full scale level (0 dBFS). The levels at the XLR output are 6 dB higher, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your reply but I still do not understand how its works.
Base on the following indications from the manual, if a reference level is set-up in the ADI, how the output level can be the same at the RCA and the XLR output if they are used simultaneously?

Manual indications:
Line Output: Ref Level
Sets the reference level for the analog outputs. Choices are -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu at the RCA output, referenced to digital full scale level (0 dBFS). The levels at the XLR output are 6 dB higher, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu.

Sry this particular q: I can't answer, this is smth for RME wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by N00b 2020-06-14 14:27:08)

For me it’s like Ririt said: if you set +7 dBu on the unit, the RCA output will be at +7 dBu and the XLR output at +13 dBu (6 dB higher).
Edit: on the ADI-DAC FS smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

MC, it seems to I am not alone to understand from the manual  that if a reference level output is set at the ADI, the XLR output will give +6dB more than the RCA output if they are used simultaneously. Please explain us how it works.

9 (edited by KaiS 2020-06-15 09:08:54)

@Ririt
Which ADI-2 model do you want to buy:

• ADI-2 FS: analog in and out, ADC and DAC, no DSP, no LCD display.
• ADI-2 DAC FS: no analog in - one DAC only, DSP, LCD display.
• ADI-2 Pro FS: analog input to ADC, two DACs with independent outputs, DSP on all i/o's., LCD display.

The level handling of those is different.

I want to buy the ADI-2 DAC FS.

Then you wrote the wrong title for this topic.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Ririt 2020-06-14 17:12:04)

Sorry Matthias If I was wrong with the title. However my question is still the same...I would appreciate if someone can explain to me what I should expect as output levels on RCA and XlR outputs when used simultaneously on the ADI-2-DAC FS? Thanks in advance for your reply

13 (edited by N00b 2020-06-14 18:05:57)

Ririt wrote:

Sorry Matthias If I was wrong with the title. However my question is still the same...I would appreciate if someone can explain to me what I should expect as output levels on RCA and XlR outputs when used simultaneously on the ADI-2-DAC FS? Thanks in advance for your reply

This has been answeres yet. On the ADI-2 DAC FS, + 6 dB on the XLR outputs, like said in the manual.

So your first statement:

if I am selecting +7 dBu (1.74V) does that ends automatically to this value for rca output and +13dBu (3.46V) for the XLR output at 0 dBFS

is OK with the ADI-2 DAC FS. (But not with the ADI-2 FS, your wrong title misled us).

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Thanks that is clear now! Sorry to misled all of you with the title of the topic! Still not familiar with The names of these amazing devices!

KaiS wrote:

@Ririt
Which ADI-2 model do you want to buy:

• ADI-2 FS: analog in and out, ADC and DAC, no DSP, no LCD display.
• ADI-2 DAC FS: no analog in - one DAC only, DSP, LCD display.
• ADI-2 Pro FS: analog input to ADC, two DACs with independent outputs, DSP on all i/o's., LCD display.

The level handling of those is different.

Slightly older thread, but I believe your final bullet on the ADI-2 Pro FS is potentially misleading. The user still only has one set of analog outputs that are shared, XLR/RCA. The user cannot place different settings on each set, as they are the same output logically. Otherwise, one could use that interface for a high/low pass analog xover, which you cannot. Correct?

BTW, on my ADI2 DAC fs, when I connect subs to my RCAs and powered monitors to my XLRs, the sub output is almost non-existent. I do not believe this is simply a -6dB difference. SPL-wise, RCA's measure about 18dB down. Is anyone using this device successfully with both XLR and RCA outputs connected to separate inputs?

First - wrong. The Pro's phones output 3/4 is independent and a perfect unbalanced stereo output. Some users use it for crossover setups, but we don't encourage such usage as we feel it is cumbersome.

Second - level difference on DAC is 6 dB If you measure 18 then you have to find out why...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your reply. I suppose that makes sense, but wouldn't that apply to the ADI2 DAC for as well?

18 (edited by jmudrick 2021-02-03 14:58:52)

I have my DAC connected via XLR outputs working fine. However when trying to run in parallel the RCA out to my Crown amp in bridge mode I'm getting no output to the RCA connected sub. This is supposed to work by default right, there is no setting for dual output as far as I find? Any suggestions? Same amp, sub, and cables connected to my Schitt DAC working fine.

jmudrick wrote:

I have my DAC connected via XLR outputs working fine. However when trying to run in parallel the RCA out to my Crown amp in bridge mode I'm getting no output to the RCA connected sub. This is supposed to work by default right, there is no setting for dual output as far as I find? Any suggestions? Same amp, sub, and cables connected to my Schitt DAC working fine.

That's similar to how I am using mine. I have the RCA outputs going to a pair of powered subs. I have the ADI2-DAC fs, not the Pro. The output is dramatically lower than my previous integrated amp's RAC output, and forced me to increase the sensitivity on the subs by at least 1/3 of the overall available rotation (no dB marks on the knob for the sub).