Topic: Safe to downgrade firmware? Also encoder problems.

Hi!

Is it safe to flash a version of the firmware older that the one currently on the device?

I've started having a problem where the main rotary encoder would randomly register some clicks in the opposite direction of what I'm turning it, (e.g. turning clockwise, but volume decreases and vice versa) and wanted to check if it's due to a firmware update, or the encoder is starting to die sad

Re: Safe to downgrade firmware? Also encoder problems.

That's a clear encoder problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by hadadzhi 2020-12-23 12:07:23)

Thanks!
So, how do I replace it when it breaks completely? smile

hadadzhi wrote:

Hi!

Is it safe to flash a version of the firmware older that the one currently on the device?

I've started having a problem where the main rotary encoder would randomly register some clicks in the opposite direction of what I'm turning it, (e.g. turning clockwise, but volume decreases and vice versa) and wanted to check if it's due to a firmware update, or the encoder is starting to die sad

Iam starting to get problems.

This dac is fantastic, rme certainly have produced a killer dac.

My encoder is starting to misfire, not a lot though. Mines 6 months old.
There must be a QC issue.

Mine also had scratched screen. And a failing remote, new battery didn’t fix it.  I don’t think these problems are common.

Like MC said the encoder is shot.
Get a replacement.

I actually start to have the encoder problem occasionally as well, mine is a little more than a year old. Got a Pro FS R coming my way soon so hopefully I won't have to use the encoders as much anymore with the new remote. Would you guys recommend RMA'ing the old ADI-2 Pro to fix the encoder problem?

6 (edited by Delysid 2021-01-22 15:06:22)

I would like to report the volume encoder issue, as well as encoder 1 being observed to skip sometimes also. ADI-2 DAC V2 is ~10 months old, and I was familiar with the problem before purchasing the unit. To try to avoid encountering the same, I used the remote for roughly 70-80% of volume adjustments, but skipping still crept in. To make things worse, some buttons on the remote are being less sensitive to an average actuation force. Now I really have to step on them to register (not a biggie).

Is there going to be a revision of the encoders (volume in particular), because it seems to me that the issue is not isolated to a few random units as I thought (again, statistical data pulled out of my a$$, I'm just stating based on what I have noticed so far).

Could there be a particular weather condition not suitable for encoders, like too hot/cold, humid/dry?

Overall, these issues don't bother me so much so long the encoders aren't shut. Besides, volume always decreases when it skips, so there are no sudden jump scares in that regard. RME nailed the feature set so HARD that you are left with nothing but love for this all in one package (ADI-3 DAC: 10 band PEQ is a must! Also, whoever said to get rid/or change the B/T function of encoder 1&2 for current dac design, DON'T.

I will be sending dac back to thomann just before warranty expiration to get them replaced. But until then I would like to gain confidence that the unit can be used without anxiety.

Mines got worse too.
I agree with what your saying.
I hardly used my encoders and they are skipping ect. Remote is becoming unstable too.

Iam sending mine back. And will be after a refund.  As the unit is not fit for purpose.

I love the dac ect..  but these Dacs are failing miserably. £870 is too much to loose.
I have 2 other Dacs so I won’t really miss it.  Shame. It’s such a nice dac.

Are there similar Serialnumbers?

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Viennacalling wrote:

Are there similar Serialnumbers?

I don’t think batch numbers would be linked.

I guess that the encoders haven’t been tested long enough     before the dac release on the market.
The problem is made worse because the encoders are used a lot,  flicking through menus and sub menus ect.  It’s a QC issue.
I love what this dac can do. But I don’t have any peace of mind while using it. 
The remotes are crap , I think that they are made in China       while iam talking about the remote ,
I have noticed 5he button tab lettering is fading  .

I contacted the store and I am getting my cash back.

10 (edited by Delysid 2021-01-22 21:46:45)

What's quite interesting to me is that during the time of PRO non FS, DAC FS, and later on PRO FS, these issues were quite rare. I don't even remember stumbling upon such reports on this forum FWIW, and I was lurking here already around that time, showing great interest in these units.

Then, 1-1.5 years ago, encoder issues just started popping up left and right, mainly for newer production models, while older ones were unaffected if I remember correctly. You could argue that there were way more units in the world by that time, which is true. But them failing often and prematurely is not THAT likely (not impossible though).

And it's not like this was new endeavour for RME when it comes to encoder implementations in general, they've been doing this for a while now.

What makes the most sense is that it could be a bad batch of encoders. Can't make much more of this to be honest.

Edit: Just noticed some other threads having older models reported too.
I don't know anymore, could be random after all...
Whatever it is, confidence it doesn't give.

Yes older models are effected too.
A couple of mates purchased an adi 2 dac fs and pro version.
Both had issues within 2 months,  ranging from encoder problems to one of the channels dying.

Both sent their units to be fixed ,both received refurbished units. NOT their purchased ones.
Both had scratches on screens ect.

Both returned for a full refund.
I purchased mine around July 2020  started to get issues 3 months later.

Should have been a warning to me.
But hey!. We live and learn

terrys999 wrote:

Mines got worse too.
I agree with what your saying.
I hardly used my encoders and they are skipping ect. Remote is becoming unstable too.

Iam sending mine back. And will be after a refund.  As the unit is not fit for purpose.

I love the dac ect..  but these Dacs are failing miserably. £870 is too much to loose.
I have 2 other Dacs so I won’t really miss it.  Shame. It’s such a nice dac.

Interesting, how could the remote be unstable for you, not responding to your inputs?

I think the encoder problems probably can get fixed with a firmware update. My ADI-2 Pro FS seems to suffer a bit from the encoder problem, going back a few db sometimes when turning the main encoder.

The FS R seems to use stiffer encoders but that might be down to it being brand new, I also noticed the relay clicks sound a bit different now compared to the Pro FS, the power button also seems to power down now when Autodark is activated which is a nice touch.

The encoder cannot be fixed with firmware update, MC posted that it is due to broken encoder,
The encoder as to be replaced.
My remote sometimes fails to flash, sometimes takes 4-5 attempts for it to work.
New battery too.

I know the pcbs v3 used different components.
Relays were replaced with another make .
Caps were replaced with wurther capacitors
V1 v2 had nichicon

14 (edited by Soundbar 2021-01-25 20:17:52)

I really wonder why we are still seeing these dreaded encoder issues - even with new devices?
Come on, haven't this issue been solved properly by RME (and by that I don't mean using up your faulty encoder batch)?

Also, there are still many devices out there - (non FS) which are out of warranty - and suffer from this problem.
And to my knowledge RME is still asking absurdly high replacement prices. I find this very disappointing.

15 (edited by terrys999 2021-01-28 11:06:19)

I don’t think it’s a batch issue.
I think that the encoders are not up to the job period.
You have to remember that these encoders have a lot to do.  They aren’t up to the job

Rme need to find a solution. Fast....  or this will damage sales.

If looking for a good dac to buy  and saw what problems people were having .
People will defiantly not buy.
Sound wise I cannot fault. But whoever designed the encoders should be fired. Period

When I first brought the dac I was soooo excited. Sounds wonderful then hooooo.

Mines in the box ready for refund. Actually quite upsetting.

UPDATE...
I decided to get the adi fixed. Not a refund.
The adi is too dam good to let go.

I would definitely miss not having it.

Let’s hope all goes well.

Delysid wrote:

[...]
(ADI-3 DAC: 10 band PEQ is a must! Also, whoever said to get rid/or change the B/T function of encoder 1&2 for current dac design, DON'T.
[...]

"2" in ADI-2 DAC is the number of channels, not the revision of the machine (please see ADI-8, M32 etc.)

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

17 (edited by Delysid 2021-01-27 12:44:09)

I don't think anybody should be fired, but I do understand your frustration. I think it's time for RME to acknowledge the issue and do something about it, as it has become more than just an occasional failure of volume encoders to operate as expected.

I forgot to mention that I have used RC for most output switching operations, instead of pressing on now faulty vol enc, seeing it as a possible point of failure. So at least in my case, it wasn't operated till death.

I did test encoder 1&2 thoroughly, and they are functioning without error. So please disregard my previous statement about it being otherwise. I must have left it in between of the notches so it probably didn't register next turn. Or it could be just me seeing something that wasn't there, because I started over observing the unit since volume encoder started messing around.

Edit: Thanks for making that clear N00b

fix these problems with new firmware
I have volume problems too