Topic: Some questions about MADIface XT and MADI.

MADIface XT - Mono Signal is recognized like a stereo.

Hello, I am a student majoring in the keyboard that used MADIface XT for the first time yesterday.
Originally, I find the information directly and solve problems directly, but the MADI products I recently purchased were too difficult to use, so I visited the forum. smile
I have a lot of questions because I still have a lot to ask. sad

//

Coaxial MADI (MADI 3) on the MADIface XT (32-channel) converter is connected with a 75 ohm BNC cable.
(MADIface XT Out -> ANDIAMO XT IN/MADIface XT In -> ANDIAMO XT)

1. MADIface XT was set to 44.1 kHz, and no other settings were touched.
Originally, synthesizer L/R must be entered into TotalMix's input 129/130 to be correct. Input 129/130 enters the same mono signal L on both sides and 131/132 enters the same mono signal R on both sides.

//

2. I have several synthesizers, and I wanted to record them in multi-track, so I bought the MADIface XT.
Is my use correct?

//

3. I have a hardware effector unit PCM91 from Lexicon.
Route the synthesizer input 1/2,3/4 from TotalMix to AES/EBU Out on the MADIface XT, and connect PCM91. Is it possible to use PCM91's AES/EBU out like SEND/RETURN if I connect it to the AES/EBU input of MADIface XT and then set AES/EBU to Main in TotalMix?
Please advise me if there is a more efficient way.

3-1. I've got a lot of other analog effectors, and I've been trying to figure out how to use a lot of output and input from the MADIface XT, and I'm thinking of connecting all of them in parallel.
[Example: Input 1/2 (Synth)-Output 1/2 (effector)-Input 3/4 (Effector)]
I'm thinking of using a lot of output and input in this way. Can I use it like this?

//

4.How do you usually use a lot of output? If you create a 22.2 surround monitoring environment with a studio monitor and provide individual CUE to all performers, isn't there really a lot of output left?

//

5. All the instruments that I usually use are LINE LEVEL-capable instruments (e.g. synthesizers). So, I entered the CONVERTER without going through MIC PREAMP. Is there a problem if I use them?

//

6. I heard that there is a function called MIDI Over MADI.
If I can use MIDI, I'd like to connect a few more of my keys and adjust various synthesizers with the master keyboard, is that possible?

//

7. The main MADI to ANALOG converters are often 32 channels, so wouldn't they be able to use all 64 channels, the maximum bandwidth of MADI?

7-1.MADI used something that looked like DAISY CHAIN in the picture. So, can we use multiple channels just by going from MADIface XT OUT to Converter IN, from Converter OUT to another converter?

//

I'm sorry I posted too many questions. If there's a problem, I'll delete it right away.

Re: Some questions about MADIface XT and MADI.

to 1) what is the question here ?
to 2) if you want to connect many devices at once, yes then you need devices with many analog inputs
to 3) AFAIK Cubase allows you to use external HW like a VST plugin including latency compensation (!), you can use either analog or digital ports as you prefer
to 3.1) You can connect multiple synthies and effect units. You need to think about signal flow and latencies, maybe it would be better to use "sends" instead of using multiple "insers" in one or more channels.
to 4) sorry, I am using only using stereo, can't comment to that
to 5) sorry I do not understand your question, pls rephrase. Synthesizers you connect to line level inputs. In most if not all cases consumer level. Maybe the AD/DA converter that you use supports different reference levels per port, so that you can use consumer and studio level as you need.
to 6) MIDI over MADI is being used for remote controlling RME devices by using not used bits in the MADI protocol. This saves you MIDI cabling. If you need MIDI, then pls use the MIDI ports on the RME device.
to 7) MADI offers 64 channels @44.1/48 kHz ("single speed"). If you record with "double speed" (88.2/96 kHz), then you have only 32 channels left, because of channel multiplexing. 2 channels are needed to form one @88.2/96 kHz.
to 7-1) with MADI you can daisy chain up to 8 devices à 8 channels @44.1/48 kHz, the distance between each of the devices may be up to 2km (OM3/4 multi-mode). On special order you can get the devices also with single mode which allows up to 10km between each of the daisy-chained devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

First, thank you so much for answering all the questions. It helped me a lot.

Answer the missing question:

1) In my TOTALMIX, left and right are tied (stereo)
Then we need left and right signals to L/R (ch 1/2 for example) *[1 - left, 2 - right]
But It Recieve Left mono signal to L/R (ch1/2), and Right signal to next channels L/R(ch3/4) *[1/2 - left, 3/4 - right]
Is this normal because I use a 32 channel converter?
And since the channel is already tied to a stereo (ch1-2), can I tie it up to a "real stereo" (ch1/2-ch3/4)?

5) The question was whether it was okay to connect directly from line out to the MADI converter. (This issue has been resolved.)

You've been a great help. Thank You! smile

4 (edited by ramses 2020-12-06 11:27:18)

to 1) in HW inputs (top row) click to the wrench symbol then you can change a stereo channel to mono. Then use the panorama knob to set the mono channel to the center, so that you have this channel in the center of the stereo panorama for your TM FX submix. For the DAW this doesn't matter, HW inputs are always passed 1:1 unmodified to the application (DAW). The TM FX setting is for the (near zero-latency) monitoring only.

You're welcome ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13