Topic: PS5 and RME ADI-2 DAC

Sony in their focus on redefining the 3D audio have decided to drop toslink port...(?? WTF) So how can RME ADI-2 be hooked up to it? Will it work via USB? I don't manege to get ps5 yet so I couldn't try it...

Re: PS5 and RME ADI-2 DAC

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Sony in their focus on redefining the 3D audio have decided to drop toslink port...(?? WTF) So how can RME ADI-2 be hooked up to it? Will it work via USB? I don't manege to get ps5 yet so I couldn't try it...

I think not.
I suspect usb is for computer connection   I maybe wrong.  Would be interesting for see.

I have done a bit more research on this and PS5 supports usb DACs that use UAC1, but not anything newer than that. I know some DACs have the ability to toggle between UAC1 and UAC2, I dunno if it's possible but it would be great if an option to switch between UAC1 and UAC2 would be added to firmware for better compatibility.

That will definitely not happen. UAC1 is limited to 48 kHz 2 channels - not worth the development effort. Also it seems the PS5 UAC1 is less compatible than the PS4 one. IMHO Sony will have to update their firmware adding UAC2, especially as they removed the optical port.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah I have a feeling sony won't do that... balls

6 (edited by HenningGrote 2020-12-08 15:51:51)

If your TV has a SPDIF optical (Toslink) out, maybe connecting that to the RME could work.

You will only get audio, that is sampled by the TV, but you will get audio from your games to the RME / your HiFi syste. Might be worth to try out.

HenningGrote wrote:

If your TV has a SPDIF optical (Toslink) out, maybe connecting that to the RME could work.

You will only get audio, that is sampled by the TV, but you will get audio from your games to the RME / your HiFi syste. Might be worth to try out.

I have a PC monitor, it doesn't have any audio ports or audio hardware whatsoever.

8 (edited by kathampy 2021-08-06 02:46:36)

I use this box to add SPDIF and Coaxial output to my PS5. The digital output is bit-perfect and is not affected by the PS5's volume control as the device advertises hardware volume control. Only the analog RCA ports are affected by the volume control, so you bypass the PS5's volume limit on headphones when using SPDIF or Coaxial. HDMI audio on the PS5 doesn't support 3D audio - you must use USB instead of the TV's SPDIF output.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SR7BYD6/

9 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2021-08-06 03:10:27)

kathampy wrote:

I use this box to add SPDIF and Coaxial output to my PS5. The digital output is bit-perfect and is not affected by the PS5's volume control as the device advertises hardware volume control. Only the analog RCA ports are affected by the volume control, so you bypass the PS5's volume limit on headphones when using SPDIF or Coaxial. HDMI audio on the PS5 doesn't support 3D audio - you must use USB instead of the TV's SPDIF output.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SR7BYD6/

Thank you so much that's awesome!
Do you know if I can get it from a shop located in EU? Shipping from USA is 52$ ;(

10 (edited by kathampy 2021-08-06 03:15:35)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Do you know if I can get it from a shop located in EU? Shipping from USA is 52$ ;(

Anything with the C-Media CM108B chipset is UAC1 and should work.

The Behringer UCA202 is another device with identical behaviour. This also has a line input, so you can connect a microphone with a pre-amp to the PS5. The other device exposes the line input to the PS5 but has no physical input, so you have to keep switching the microphone input on the PS5 to another device each time you connect it.

kathampy wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

The Behringer UCA202 is another device with identical behaviour. This also has a line input, so you can connect a microphone with a pre-amp to the PS5. The other device exposes the line input to the PS5 but has no physical input, so you have to keep switching the microphone input on the PS5 to another device each time you connect it.

I found Behringer UCA202 in local store.
I don't use mic, but that's good to know. Is there a way to check if device is UAC1 compatible? Since most of them don't list that spec.

12 (edited by kathampy 2021-08-06 03:39:16)

You'll have to plug it in and find out, or search for the chipset and if there's a UAC1 firmware. The UCA202 is UAC1.

HenningGrote wrote:

Go to tv settings and change pcm out to bitstream,  that way audio outs will send audio unchanged.

14 (edited by kathampy 2021-08-06 15:50:46)

terrys999 wrote:

Go to tv settings and change pcm out to bitstream,  that way audio outs will send audio unchanged.

If the input is PCM, newer TVs typically do real-time Dolby Digital encoding instead of passing through PCM when you set the output to Bitstream.

The HDMI audio on PS5 does not support headphone HRTF anyway, so the TV output should not be used for games. You have to use USB.

15 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2021-08-13 17:12:09)

kathampy wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

My Behringer UCA202 arrived today, and I can't get bit perfect output from it for the life of me, the sampling rates changes just fine but bit test fails, I dunno why, it passes with every other spdif sound card I have as well as usb, so it's not player issue (I tested it on pc running win 10)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

My Behringer UCA202 arrived today, and I can't get bit perfect output from it for the life of me, the sampling rates changes just fine but bit test fails, I dunno why, it passes with every other spdif sound card I have as well as usb, so it's not player issue (I tested it on pc running win 10)

The SPDIF stream is generated internally from the same WASAPI playback device as the volume-controlled analog outputs, but bypassing the hardware volume control. Any APOs or anything else on the playback device in Windows will affect the output stream. Others have confirmed the output can be bit-perfect if the OS is not affecting the signal. This shouldn't be an issue on the PS5 anyway.

PS5 firmware 2.0 adds support for 3D Audio over HDMI, so you will be able to use a TV or HDMI audio extractor.

kathampy wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

The SPDIF stream is generated internally from the same WASAPI playback device as the volume-controlled analog outputs, but bypassing the hardware volume control. Any APOs or anything else on the playback device in Windows will affect the output stream. Others have confirmed the output can be bit-perfect if the OS is not affecting the signal. This shouldn't be an issue on the PS5 anyway.

PS5 firmware 2.0 adds support for 3D Audio over HDMI, so you will be able to use a TV or HDMI audio extractor.

I don't have PS4 and my PS5 pre order hasn't been fulfilled yet, so I can't test it, I report back when I get a PS5; it's weird though that it's not working on pc, since every other PCI-X sound card with spdif out that I have works just fine.

If the UCA202 only supports UAC1 then why not just USB of the PS5 which is also UAC1?

Ok I got my ps5 hooked up, I have been messing with it all morning and I can't find any way to get it to output bit perfect signal, it's an issue with ps5, not UCA202, no matter what I do ps5 mixes all audio in 48khz stream kinda like windows pc in direct audio mode, and I can't for the life of me find a way to play audio files in dedicated app that outputs bit perfect signal like you can on PS3; am I missing something?

20 (edited by kathampy 2021-08-28 20:43:48)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Ok I got my ps5 hooked up, I have been messing with it all morning and I can't find any way to get it to output bit perfect signal, it's an issue with ps5, not UCA202, no matter what I do ps5 mixes all audio in 48khz stream kinda like windows pc in direct audio mode, and I can't for the life of me find a way to play audio files in dedicated app that outputs bit perfect signal like you can on PS3; am I missing something?

I doubt this was ever possible for decoded PCM output on PSP / PS3 / PS Vita / PS4. All of those systems could play system sounds & effects while music was playing, so they have an OS mixer. They were only bit-perfect while bitstreaming Dolby Digital / DTS audio.

Interesting info. Such a strong limitation of sample rate would explain why they not go UAC 2 - everyone woud immediately notice that it's somehow useless. Please keep us updated.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

22 (edited by kathampy 2021-08-29 08:16:54)

PS5 supports both 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz sample rates. It automatically chooses the highest sample rate supported by the USB device and this cannot be changed.

The issue is the built-in media player does not have an “exclusive mode” for decoded audio to match the sample rate.

Well, UAC1 does allow 96 kHz sample rate...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME