Topic: ADI-2 Pro BE Clarifications

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a RME ADI-2 Pro and was wondering if anyone could confirm/clarify these things that I've struggled to find clarity on elsewhere.

1) I want to be able to use this predominantly as a DAC in a hifi setup (directly into a power amp) but also for recording from time to time.  I assume that it won't be necessary to change huge amounts of settings to switch between the two setups.

2) I understand that I would be able to simultaneously record 6 inputs, e.g. drums.  From what I can see, this seems to use the two standard inputs, along with the two RCA and male/female XLR connections on the break-out cable.

3) I tend to keep products for a long time.  While I appreciate converters are continuously evolving, do you think the ADI-2 hardware and software is likely to be durable enough to last, say, 20 years.

Thanks.  Matt

Re: ADI-2 Pro BE Clarifications

For recording drums you need microphones.
The ADI-2 Pro has no Microphone inputs. Then you would need separate / additional Mic Preamps with analog outputs and connect these to the two (!!) analog inputs of the ADI-2 Pro.
The easiest would be to get a recording interface with TotalMix FX and combine it with the ADI-2 Pro.
By this you also would have all advantages of direct monitoring in terms of near zero-latency routing / monitoring.

See these blog articles for further informations:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

The Excel file in this article can help you finding an USB/FW/TB based recording interface.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

Excel file: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-08-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses, to clarify, I have API pre-amps already.

Page 39 of the manual seems to indicate that there is a "multi-channel" mode which can convert 6 analogue input signals.  A Sound on Sound review also points to this...but I've not seen any other reference to it so wanted to check that I haven't misunderstood.

Thanks,
Matt

I think you can record 2 analogue ins and 2 stereo pairs of digital ins. Not 6 analogue ins.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

I think you can record 2 analogue ins and 2 stereo pairs of digital ins. Not 6 analogue ins.

Yeah, thats the reason why I suggested a combination of recording interface and ADI-2 *.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by 1992 2020-12-10 19:42:22)

vinark wrote:

Ah yes, that seems to be inline with what the manual is saying.  Thanks for clarifying.

I'll need to look into TotalMix FX, as I'm not familiar with it.

I know RME is known for being stable and offering good support, but do you think the ADI-2 range is likely to be working well in 20 years or so?

1992 wrote:
vinark wrote:

Ah yes, that seems to be inline with what the manual is saying.  Thanks for clarifying.

I'll need to look into TotalMix FX, as I'm not familiar with it.

Final thing--I know RME is known for being stable and offering good support, but do you think the ADI-2 range is likely to be working well in 20 years or so?

20 years is a long time to assume any electronics will still work without any issues or some components failing. I actually think the drivers and software side is simpler (we can definitely see RME has been very comitted to support it as far back as possible and make it as stable as possible). As far as ADI-2 it appears that the volume know is perhaps somewhat of a concern (as far as longevity) - it does seem to come up more often than anything else from what I can tell reading the forums (I have ADI-2 PRO FS and have had no issues whatsover so far - it's an amazing device).

Why 20 years? 10 might be a reasonable expectation, not that it can not last longer or shorter of course, but it is a problem if it NEEDS to last 20 years. If it does need 20 years, why? Money?
I have done that too, buy something HQ at the edge of my budget and then being shocked when it fails (outside warranty).
I now know that I need to budget maintenance/failure too.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

9 (edited by KaiS 2020-12-10 15:29:10)

1992 wrote:

Final thing--I know RME is known for being stable and offering good support, but do you think the ADI-2 range is likely to be working well in 20 years or so?

RME is the company that supports the longest way back, of all I know.

But 20 years - no.
The likelihood that this would be the case is below 10%, because this expectation is unreasonable.

No computer affiliated device will make much sense in 20 years from now.
Too much is changing too fast in this area.

If you are out for longevity RME is the best bet.
I have and use RME devices that are 10+ years old, and they are still up to touch for their task.

But - I have analog gear that is 70 years old, which will still fetch a lot of money in 20 years if I ever decide to sell it.
At that point it's no longer old, but vintage smile

I don't know of any digital device that can claim this label.

There's lots of good information here, thanks.  20 years is just a very rough figure for how long I tend to keep using computers and the like (much more for analog/hifi equipment!), e.g. my Echo Audiofire8 is still going strong after 13 years.  Generally though, I'm just trying to determine what kind of longevity I can expect, which I now know.

In terms of changing settings, how difficult do you think it would be to move the ADI-2 Pro BE between my hifi setup (used as a DAC) and my home studio (used predominantly for recording synths)?

11 (edited by KaiS 2020-12-11 00:03:32)

1992 wrote:

In terms of changing settings, how difficult do you think it would be to move the ADI-2 Pro BE between my hifi setup (used as a DAC) and my home studio (used predominantly for recording synths)?

Really easy, you just store 2 different setups in the device and recall them.

If you do it quite often, order a 2nd PSU.
Speeds up the move if you can leave each in place.