Topic: ADI-2 pro fs+Ucx+total mix

I just got Adi-2 pro fs as my main AD/DA converter. I connected it to my Ucx with 2 Toslink cable. In total mix i can only control main output 1/2 and Headphone out 3/4 together linked NOT individually. Is there any work around for that?
1. Do i have to connect Adi>AES to Ucx > Spdif for that feature? Is a normal xlr to rca cable perfect for that?
2. Another reason i bought a high end converter like adi-2pro is for printing my final mixes through adi-2 pro conversion. I will be very thankful if someone could show me how to route this in totalmix
I am very new to digital connection thing. Sorry if these already covered in forum but i coudn’t find what i was looking for. Thanks in advance

Re: ADI-2 pro fs+Ucx+total mix

> I just got Adi-2 pro fs as my main AD/DA converter. I connected it to my Ucx with 2 Toslink cable.
> In total mix i can only control main output 1/2 and Headphone out 3/4 together linked NOT individually.
> Is there any work around for that?

UCX    +-----------------------------> ADI-2 Pro + --------------> 1/2 monitor
          <-----------------------------+                  +---------------> 3/4 phones

You have only one TOSLINK cable from UCX to ADI-2 Pro.
Therefore TM FX on the UCX can only route audio through this one TOSLINK cable...
Then you have to control routing on the ADI-2 Pro which is possible, see my blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Otherwise you need two cables between UCX and ADI-2 Pro towards the ADI-2 Pro.
Then you can use ARC USB / TM FX to route audio either through ADAT or coaxial SPDIF.
It needs a certain configuration of ADI-2 Pro to route stuff from ADAT to Analog 1/2 and from coax SPDIF to 3/4.
See my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

For a similar setup I posted this not long ago: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 91#p147291
Its worth to read the forum regulary. I do this since years and learned a lot and also contributed back a lot.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses. Great blog and you are very helpful too.
So I can get separate routing of phones in totalmix by connecting AES of ADI-2 pro and Ucx’s Spdif. As Ucx dont have AES port but i can tranfer data through Spdif Rca port right? I would rather go for the Spdif to Spdif but saw somewhere that u can only use Adat or spdif of ADI-2 pro at a time. If so i need an AES to Spdif cable. Let me know if i am understanding it correctly.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-16 09:00:08)

I reviewed the whole thing and sorry, doesn't seem to be possible. Seems that I overlooked something in the past.

While reviewing the routing options of the ADI-2 Pro in AD/DA mode I see, that the device does not differentiate between
ADAT and coaxial SPDIF. Its all "SPDIF" in this unit.

Otherwise I would have proposed AD/DA mode and this routing, but currently it is not supported by the ADI-2 Pro:
I/O -> Main Output 1/2 -> AD/DA Source: ADAT
I/O -> Phones OUT 3/4 -> AD/DA Source: coaxial SPDIF
There is currently no differentiation between ADAT and coax SPDIF.

Question to RME: would it be possible to enhance the "AD/DA Converter" mode to support the above routing ?

Advantage: this would enable customers the routing to either monitors or phones for devices like UC, UCX by TM FX and ARC USB if somebody wants this (and I wouldn't need to correct my blog article wink )

At the moment it looks to me there is no other way than having a RME recording interface that supports AES and SPDIF like 802, UFX, UFX II, UFX+, RayDAT to switch audio between ADI-2 Pro's Monitor / Phones outputs by TM FX routing.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yah both ADAT and Spdif option would have been much easier to connect different interfaces. Sadly you can find AES port only in expensive interfaces.  But in Ucx manual i saw something about supporting AES input through Spdif port. Any Rme tech can confirm that please?

6 (edited by ramses 2019-11-16 09:52:22)

On the other hand ...
Initially I had the same idea/demand like you, to control it via recording interface and TM FX / ARC USB.

Over time I got so much used to control it on the ADI-2 Pro itself by the remap key option...
Because the ADI-2 Pro is placed here on top of the rack left to me.
With my left hand I can very easily access the ADI-2 Pro and for me personally I found the perfect key remapping in:
VOL key  - Default
I/O Key   - Toggle Ph/Line
EQ Key   - EQ+B/T+LD 1-4
Setup K. - Mute all

Although I could change my setup to support this "toggling betwee Phones/Line" by TM FX routing on the UFX+
I didn't configure it anymore. Why ?

1. Because ADI-2 Pro remap key is simple and works very well.
2. Less cables and if I need an additional digital port for devices, then its simply available.

So maybe you simply use the remap key functionality like described here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

In a good case of luck maybe RME can tweak this further, but I am not sure whether its technical possible.
My other blog article will be updated once I get information from RME whether this could be changed or not.

Any word from RME technical support? Or Do i have to conact them from elsewhere?

ramses wrote:

With my left hand I can very easily access the ADI-2 Pro and for me personally I found the perfect key remapping in:
VOL key  - Default
I/O Key   - Toggle Ph/Line
EQ Key   - EQ+B/T+LD 1-4
Setup K. - Mute all

Hello, ramses. May I ask you please about UCX and ADI- 2 Pro/Dac connection? As far as I can see I may set main volume of ADI- 2 Pro/Dac to zero and use ARC USB remote to control the output in TotalMix right? And just use toggle Ph/Line key.

I want to buy ADI- 2 Pro or Dac mainly for DA convertion and room correction.
What type of the connection would be better? Spdif optical, Adat or Spdif coaxial?

Will I notice an additional latecny recording a guitar on 64 samples to ADI-2 Pro - UCX - and monitoring through ADI-2 Pro output?
Also should I use ADAT/Spdif Clock on my UCX instead of internal? Becouse of Femto-Clock of ADI- 2 Pro/Dac.
Thanks!

9 (edited by ramses 2020-12-14 23:23:18)

Hi,

all digital connections allow for bit perfect transmission.
I see an advantage in using optical connections to also have galvanic isolation.
ADI-2 DAC/Pro support ADAT and SPDIF protocol via optical.
TOSLINK cables maybe be up to 10m long according to the standard, but according to my experience even 15+1m (with a TOSLINK switcher in between) is possible with RME devices even up to 192 kHz (if your TOSLINK switcher allows).

According to latency, pls see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 73#p162673
So if you have a RME recording interface / ASIO driver plus an AD/DA converter after optical link you should be fine with ASIO buffer sizes up to 128 latency wise, if your audio signal should need the full RTL via USB/FW/and alike.
For ADM (ASIO direct monitoing) or routing only on the recording interface the latency is much much lower, only a few samples, fraction of a milisecond. See my posting for some numbers from manual.

I personally use the clock of the recording interface (UFX+) so that you can control sample rate via the application / daw.
According to RME FS clock delivers measurable, but no audible differences. Technology simply goes on and becomes more affordable than in the past.

Hi, ramses, thank you for so detailed reply!
It seems I will get only the time over TOSLINK additionally, few samples (Adi-2 Pro to UCX and back) and it should not affect my usual setup and buffer size in real time playing, right?

Shoud I use Spdif or Adat then? Speaking about 24bit/96kHz Adat allow to use 4 channels instead of 2 channels with Spdif. So It is beneficial to use Adat, right? All other tech specs are the same?
Thanks!

Makes no difference
ADAT  = 8ch @44.1/48, 4ch @88.2/96, 2ch @176,5/192 kHz
SPDIF = 2ch @44.1 - 192 kHz
At the end of the day ADI-2 Pro FS can use only 2 ch out of ADAT.
The good thing, ADI-2 Pro supports ADAT and SPDIF, so if a device should support only ADAT, you can use it as well.

Ok, I see. But can I use both Adi-2 inputs via optical the same time or it is mixed into 1 channel and present in Total Mix as 1 adat/spdif input? I mean 2 different source are playing as 1 input in Total Mix?

If I sending 2 hardware UCX input and software playback to Adi-2 via optical - does it mean it need 3 channels? Or they are all mixed to 1 channel UCX optical output. I understand this as three different audio streams - 3 channels and Adi-2 doesn't allow to do this. Is it correct?

13 (edited by ramses 2020-12-15 23:08:40)

Usually it works this way .. in the DAW you load the ASIO driver for the UCX.
You access the ADI-2 Pro through one of the digital ports of the UCX (e.g. through ADAT).
See here as an example: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

great, thank you for your help ramses!