Topic: ADI-2 DAC fs weird behavior in new PC

Hi all,

My ADI-2 DAC worked perfectly on my old PC. Unfortunately, the PC broke and I had to build another one. Here's the problem I'm having with the DAC on the new PC:

I installed the drivers and then connected the DAC to a USB port. In sound devices, the ADI-2 DAC doesn't show up. It shows up under "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager though. I tried in all types of USB ports and the problem persists. I'm unable to use the DAC.

If I uninstall the drivers, the DAC shows up immediately in sound devices (Audio inputs and outputs) and it works. However, the DAC sometimes produces no sound on a PC bootup unless I turn the DAC off and on again.

I'm not sure why the DAC is behaving like this. Can anyone help me out?

Re: ADI-2 DAC fs weird behavior in new PC

Current firmware versions of the DAC? Which driver version was installed?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm running the latest firmware and the driver version is: 0.9734

mrcultureshock wrote:

I'm running the latest firmware and the driver version is: 0.9734

I had loads of usb issues with my pcs.

One mb usb controllers were bad, removed and resoldered new USB ports.

The second was easily fixed.

Do this.

Update windows reboot.    Then on updates  click optional updates.   On latest windows you will see quite a few  chipset updates,   I counted 15 .

Tick them all. Update and reboot. Fix’s rme driver.

You can also check in device manager.  Before it was fixed there was quite a few base entries  in other ....  with yellow quest.... marks.
That should fix.

Try my solution.

Ok. Got the DAC to work but partially. If I use my headphones with the AD-2 DAC, all is well. But for the life of me I can't get sound through RCA Line out to my speakers. The strange thing is that it works sometimes, but on a reboot, it might stop working. I've done a factory reset and it's still the same.

6 (edited by terrys999 2020-12-19 22:41:17)

mrcultureshock wrote:

Ok. Got the DAC to work but partially. If I use my headphones with the AD-2 DAC, all is well. But for the life of me I can't get sound through RCA Line out to my speakers. The strange thing is that it works sometimes, but on a reboot, it might stop working. I've done a factory reset and it's still the same.

If your headphones work with usb from pc. Then it’s not the driver.

Check your line outs.
Check settings on the dac.
Have a looksy in Device manager. See if there’s any yellow question marks.

I had these type of problems with my 2 new pc builds.

I blamed the adi  and the drivers,  I was wrong.

New windows updates sometimes screwed my connection.  Weird things like turning off the dac would would cause bsod. Blue screen and reboot.

Study device manager,   Double check line out settings on dac.  It will be something simple.

I'm at a complete loss why the line out doesn't have sound sometimes. I can get sound only if I factory reset the DAC. However, after I boot up the PC the following day, the line out doesn't have any sound again unless I do a factory reset. I checked the DAC settings, device manager and drivers. Everything checks out.

When I bought the ADI-2 DAC for my older PC, I connected it and it worked without a single issue. I'm not sure why it's having problems with the new PC.

mrcultureshock wrote:

I'm at a complete loss why the line out doesn't have sound sometimes. I can get sound only if I factory reset the DAC. However, after I boot up the PC the following day, the line out doesn't have any sound again unless I do a factory reset. I checked the DAC settings, device manager and drivers. Everything checks out.

When I bought the ADI-2 DAC for my older PC, I connected it and it worked without a single issue. I'm not sure why it's having problems with the new PC.

Iam wondering if you are changing something on the dac!

How old is the Adi?

Ok so if all the drivers are ok. And device manager shows ok, try a different usb cable.  And a USB port that’s not sharing other devices.

If it was ok on old pc     Then you have introduced something different .

What’s your pc???? What windows vs??

Ok an update. When I booted up the PC 2 days ago, I couldn't get any sound to my speakers regardless of what I did. Therefore, I bought a XLR-3.5mm cable and it arrived yesterday. I plugged the cable and the speakers started working again. I concluded that the RCA to 3.5mm cable was faulty and now all was well. However, I turned on the PC this morning and I get no sound through my speakers again. I see the green volume bars moving but no sound.

I'm running Windows 10 and I purchased the ADI-2 DAC fs in July 2019.

mrcultureshock wrote:

Ok an update. When I booted up the PC 2 days ago, I couldn't get any sound to my speakers regardless of what I did. Therefore, I bought a XLR-3.5mm cable and it arrived yesterday. I plugged the cable and the speakers started working again. I concluded that the RCA to 3.5mm cable was faulty and now all was well. However, I turned on the PC this morning and I get no sound through my speakers again. I see the green volume bars moving but no sound.

Have you got another computer??  You should test with alternative pc.
Check your using line out.
Mine sometimes sticks on headphones display.

Try another usb cable and another pc.  Oh and make sure the DACs not in Mute.

terrys999 wrote:
mrcultureshock wrote:

Have you got another computer??  You should test with alternative pc.
Check your using line out.
Mine sometimes sticks on headphones display.

Try another usb cable and another pc.  Oh and make sure the DACs not in Mute.

I tried it on my MacBook using 2 usb cables, and XLR/RCA cables. The speakers produced no sound. Then I connected everything back to my PC (RCA/original USB cable), and the speakers started sounding again.

I bought another DAC just to test. I think I might have to buy a new pair of speakers to test as well.