Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS + Babyface Pro FS connections

Hello, new to the forum and proud owner of my first RME products. I mainly purchased the ADI-2 Pro for it's incredible DAC component and use my Babyface Pro to run my mic for video conferences and eventually will be doing some podcasting. I have the two talking to one another via a Toslink optical cable.

ADI-2 Pro OUT via Toslink > IN via Toslink on the Babyface

I have my monitors, subwoofer, and mic plugged into the Babyface and was planning on using my headphones on the ADI-2 Pro.

In TotalMix FX I can control the Babyface as I used to be able to and now have a new channel under AS 1/2 to control the ADI-2 Pro. In Windows I have my sound device set as the ADI-2 Pro.

After some basic reading and research, I'm not sure that this is the ideal setup between these two devices even though it's working.

Would I benefit from selling my Babyface RPO and getting something with an AES connection?

I'm new to this sort of equipment so I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions.

Thanks for your help in advance!

George

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-12-17 14:24:15)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS + Babyface Pro FS connections

TOSLINK (optical), SPDIF coax and AES Balanced carry the same audio data.

TOSLINK is superiour in some setups, as it's galvanically isolated, no electrical wire connection that can cause groundloops.

Stay with what you have!

Might be worth connecting your monitors/sub to ADI-2 Pro to make full use of it's various capabilities.

A DAW can only work with one audio driver. So best use the ASIO driver for BBF Pro in your DAW.
Then access ADI-2 Pro FS through BBF Pro.
I wrote this blog article for an overview: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the help KaiS and ramses!

I have the status now showing "sync" on the ADI-2 Pro with the Babyface Pro and that was my main concern.

I seem to get a much fuller sound out of the Babyface outputs, but I'm sure it's just a matter of playing with all of the settings.

I have some LCD-2 Closed headphones that are harder to drive, but they sound very anemic in the ADI-2 Pro, which I thought was supposed to have a decently powerful headphone amp? The bass response is lacking, but then again, it could just be that I need to go through the setup.

My Adam A7X's have never sounded better and hearing nuances I've never heard in songs before! Very exciting to relisten to some music once again.

Is it accurate that if I run my monitors out of the ADI-2 Pro then I lose the ability to control them with TotalMix or do I just need to learn/configure it properly? I'm so used to using TM for just about everything.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help, and prompt replies.

George

> [...] I seem to get a much fuller sound out of the Babyface outputs, but I'm sure it's just a
> matter of playing with all of the settings.
> [...] My Adam A7X's have never sounded better and hearing nuances I've never heard in songs before!
> Very exciting to relisten to some music once again.

Don't forget to cross check
- within approx 2 seconds (brain can not good remember sound)
- at the exactly same volume level (louder sounds better for our ears, therefore the "loudness war" still taking place)
- sure, that you didn't hear accidently with B/T, PEQ or dynamic loudness enabled ?

> Is it accurate that if I run my monitors out of the ADI-2 Pro then I lose the ability to control them
> with TotalMix or do I just need to learn/configure it properly? I'm so used to using TM for just about everything.

In TM FX you simply use the digital port to the ADI-2 Pro as "Main out".
On the ADI-2 Pro you use the key mappings to have one key to toggle between using Monitors or Phones.
When toggling you will also have an ear-protecting slow ramp-up of volume.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13