Topic: Cxn toslink

Hi all.
I know this as been covered a few times on this forum.

Connecting coax and toslink from cxn to adi dac sounds identical.

I have performed bit tests on the toslink and Passed on all bit tests.
Now Cambridge say 192 on toslink can work but is not preferred. And is not reliable.

Iam not getting any drop outs or stutters ect. On toslink. At 192 or even dsd.

So my question is does toslink work or it doesn’t?  Is there anything in between?

Thanx in advance.

Re: Cxn toslink

It works, certainly up to 24/192 PCM if you stick to sensible cable lengths (about 15 ft max or so) and good quality cables. I am unable to discern any audible difference between SPDI/F coax, SPDI/F Toslink, and USB connections.

I have never tried DSD over optical, however, I do have DSD256 working perfectly over USB.

Personally, I tend to try to use USB wherever I can, simply because it seems to work well for everything and it keeps things a bit simpler (to me).

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

3 (edited by ramses 2021-01-03 20:40:58)

Of course there is no problem and you validated it already yourself (bit perfect test / crc counter in driver settings).

I am running here an absolutely flawless connection between UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in front of my HiFi corner.
Although the specs tell, that TOSLINK cables shall be max around 10m long I had never any problems
with 15m up to a TOSLINK Splitter and then +1m to the DAC and this with audio content up to 192 kHz.

And this with no MOJO/VOODO cable, simple TOSLINK cable from Mutec: https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_15m.htm

ADAT /  SPDIF only support 192 kHz, too few for DSD.

Coaxial SPDIF is another story .. shorter cable length, no galvanic isolation. In rare cases issues with hum could arise.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Of course there is no problem and you validated it already yourself (bit perfect test / crc counter in driver settings).

I am running here an absolutely flawless connection between UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in front of my HiFi corner.
Although the specs tell, that TOSLINK cables shall be max around 10m long I had never any problems
with 15m up to a TOSLINK Splitter and then +1m to the DAC and this with audio content up to 192 kHz.

And this with no MOJO/VOODO cable, simple TOSLINK cable from Mutec: https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_15m.htm

ADAT /  SPDIF only support 192 kHz, too few for DSD.

Coaxial SPDIF is another story .. shorter cable length, no glavanic isolation. In rare cases issues with hum could arise.

Wow thank you , that’s what I thought.
This dac still fascinates me, best £880 I have ever spent . Superb   even after 6 months iam still exploring.

Thanx again for your answers.

5 (edited by ramses 2021-01-03 20:41:30)

You're welcome terrys.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13