Topic: Babyface Pro FS No sound on headphones in Class Compliant Copy mode

I am trying to run the Babyface Pro FS under Linux (Fedora 33) in Class Compliant mode. The Babyface is recognized by the Linux kernel and I'm able to set the input channels and phantom power for a condenser microphone without difficulty. Headphone output is supposedly enabled by putting the Babyface into Copy mode (Ch 1/2, Phones, Opt LEDS all lit). The levels show a strong output signal but I can't get sound using either the 1/4" or the 1/8" phone jack.   Other people on this forum have had this problem and solved it by using Copy mode. But there's clearly something more. Any insights greatly appreciated -- otherwise my new Babyface is off to Ebay. And yes, I do know I was taking a risk with an unsupported operating system, but it sounded like the main problems had been solved.

Re: Babyface Pro FS No sound on headphones in Class Compliant Copy mode

In response to my own query, the solution is to drive the Babyface in CC model via Jack (e.g., QjackCtl) rather than Pulseaudio, which exposes all of the inputs and outputs, not just the first two of each. Under Jack the relevant channels can be manually routed to the headphone output, giving headphone sound. Hope this is helpful to anyone experiencing similar frustrations.

Good idea, thanks Phillip.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

And interesting to know it can work in Linux. Cheers

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

That should be obvious as even a mix application is available:

https://www.bollie.de/blog/2020/04/20/t … and-linux/

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30061

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. It’s not something I have really looked into and I use a windows pc. I do have an older pc that I may install Linux and have a play with it.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Matthias,

I was aware of Bollie's mixer, but my understanding is that it needs a kernel patch, which has to be done afresh each time a new kernel is released, which becomes a bit of pain. The Jack solution doesn't give you a mixer but solves the headphone output problem using the standard distro.

Philip