1 (edited by mark2748 2021-01-17 18:06:30)

Topic: DIGICheck & ADI-2 DAC FS

DIGICheck displays no activity for:
Options > Input Device Setup > Source > Input.

DIGICheck works great for:
Options > Input Device Setup > Source > Playback.

On the ADI-2 DAC FS itself, the horizontal stereo level meter (below the Analyzer) displays current input level from USB playback when setup for Pre or Dual.

Why no DIGICheck activity for any of my music players with Source > Input?  Incorrect setting? Misinterpreting DIGICheck Source Input vs Playback?

RME DIGICheck 5.93 with USB connection to DAC
Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.746
ADI-2 DAC FS firmware 34.
ASIO MADIFace USB, Driver 0.9734
Players:  JRiver MC 27.0.52 (64-bit), Foobar 2000 v1.6.2, MusicBee 3.3.7367
Files:  FLAC ripped from CD 44.1 KHZ

Re: DIGICheck & ADI-2 DAC FS

Input refers to the SPDIF input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by mark2748 2021-01-18 05:27:06)

Thanks for the clarification.

Any chance of it working for USB input in the future?  Naively, it seems like the USB digital signal should be available to DIGICheck "directly" from the PC / ASIO driver.

If I got you right you confused input with output in DigiCheck.
Try “output”.

There is no 'Output' with the ADI-2 DAC (or Pro), as these are limited to the hardware levels (not available with these two models).

I still don't understand the question. Input is the unit's SPDIF input (the record side), playback is what is send to the unit. What do we (or the unit) have to do with your players other than visualizing their playback signal sent to the DAC - which apparently travels over USB?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-18 16:00:05)

“Playback” was what I meant,
Could have know that, arghh!

Try “Playback” to visualize what’s going to ADI-2.

7 (edited by mark2748 2021-01-18 18:12:59)

MC wrote:

Input is the unit's SPDIF input (the record side), playback is what is send to the unit. What do we (or the unit) have to do with your players other than visualizing their playback signal sent to the DAC - which apparently travels over USB?

Thanks for the further clarification.  I always thought of USB from computer as an "input" to the DAC, which it is, but in the record/playback context it is effectively the playback channel and not an "input".  Just exposes that I am an audio consumer and not a producer smile .

KaiS wrote:

Try “Playback” to visualize what’s going to ADI-2.

Yes, as stated in OP, "Playback" works fine.  I misunderstood the "to" part until now.

Apparently, the same holds for the DAC's built-in spectral Analyzer:  it displays what is coming in, and does not represent the effects of EQ and other DSP applied within the DAC.  Similarly, it is sensitive to the player's output volume but is unaffected by the DAC's volume control (unlike the Horizontal Meter setup in Post or Dual).

Analyser shows the signal post EQ, pre Volume Control.

9 (edited by mark2748 2021-01-18 19:59:04)

KaiS wrote:

Analyser shows the signal post EQ, pre Volume Control.

Thanks for the correction.

I confirmed by generating a pink noise flac file in Audacity and then dialing in some EQ on the DAC.
DIGICheck shows the pink noise input over USB ("Playback") is more or less flat, while the DAC spectral Analyzer shows the effect of turning on the DAC's EQ.
All clear at last smile .