Topic: Babyface Pro fs plus Studio One newbie question

I recorded a bass through input 3 of the Babyface into a mono track on Studio One. Seems to me the logical choice because a bass is a mono instrument.
So far no problem, during recording the bass is centered and if I play the recording back it plays through software outputs 1/2 and is also nicely centered.
If I then export a stem of that basspart, suddenly it’s on software playback hp3/4 and it’s only on the left speaker.
I already found out that if I choose a stereo channel for recording and select input 3, all works fine.
But that seems counterintuitive, because I think I should be able to use mono channels and they should play back on software outputs 1/2 and be in the centre of the stereo field.
Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Babyface Pro fs plus Studio One newbie question

I don’t have studio 1 but it sounds like you have sent the bass to another output 3/4 and not 1/2. In studio 1 what do you mean by export? I ask as I don’t quite get what you are doing with another version of vas’s going to another software out.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Yes that is the strange thing, everything I record goes to output an1/2 as it should.
By exporting a stem I mean bouncing a particular track as a separate file so I can send that to someone else.
And when I do that then suddenly that file plays through output ph3/4 and is panned to the left.
As far as I know nothing is routed to alternate outputs by me.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-01-23 22:29:49)

Weird situation.
Can you repeat that issue ?
When you play that file is the change of channels doing everytime you play it ?
Can you play the file somewhere else for checking the panning ?
Put the file on your mobile-phone and listen it on headphones.
for the channel problem I suggest to do a total reset in Totalmix and have a proper mix.
And for the recording, yes, you record the bass onto a monotrack in your DAW and send it out over the stereo 1/2.
No need to do any panning.
recording a monosignal in the DAW can get recorded in a stereochannal on channal one witch is fully left panned.
Before bouncing you have to center the panning knob of channel 1 inside Studio one.
Have you touched the big wheel of the babyface when this changing of outputs happened suddenly ?
The output 3/4 is probaably the headphone out on the Babyface and is preselected by default as target of the big wheel knob.
Touching this knob activates then the out 3/4 but it does not change the outputs, it ads those.
Was this the case ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I already did lots of checking and also multiple resets of totalmix.
Everything works as it should while recording and mixing and also when exporting a mix.
But when I export a stem (with preserve mono tracks selected in the options on Studio One) , what happens is the following.
The stem gets saved to its appropriate folder in Studio One and when I doubleclick on it to play, it starts playing as it should in windows mediaplayer but suddenly through software playback HP3/4 and only on the left speaker. Any other music that I play through windows media player is stereo and through software playback an1/2.
And if I don’t select “preserve mono tracks” while bouncing, everything works perfectly and the bounced file plays in windows media player through software playback an 1/2.
I just can’t think of any reason why, when choosing “preserve monotracks”, suddenly software playback channels HP 3/4 get selected and the mono file is only on the left.

it sems to be the case that studio one does weird things to your file.
I would use digicheck to watch that piece of audio while it is playing by the windows media player to see if there is something visible when the issue occurs.
Then you could upload that file to dropbox and post a link to it so we can play it and enjoy the magic.
I am very interested to have demonic audiofile.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hello!

Can you upload it somewhere, and post a link, so we can check?
Also, it's propably better to share with us during the week, before some Japanese lady with very-very long black hair comes out of your speakers!! smile

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

I'm sorry but I have no dropbox account so I'm unable to share the file for you to see.
I did however take this file downstairs from my DAW to our family pc, and the file plays nicely on different players, mono and nicely in the middle.
So only in my DAW with Studio One and the Babyface this weird thing seems to happen.
And only when I select "preserve mono tracks" when exporting a stem in Studio One.
I still don't understand why, in Totalmix, whether I'm recording, mixing or exporting mixes, all the routing works like a charm and gets send through software playback AN1/2.
And really only when I export a stem (preserving mono tracks), suddenly it routes the signal through software playback PH3/4 and only on the left channel.
Anyway, I have found my workaround so problem kinda solved.
Although out of curiosity I would love to know what is going on here.
If it where only to stop that Japanese lady with very-very long black hair coming out of my speakers!!
Thanks for all your help,
Marcello

Hi, Marcello!

The thing is, that an audio file cannot choose its output! The player does that!
So, you need to check the settings of your player! Which player are you using?

Also, are you on Windows or Mac?
And another detail, when you playback the file, do you have Studio One running in the background? or is it closed?

If it's possible, can you record a video demonstrating the procedure? and have TotalMix included in the video, as well?

I use this site: https://www.sendspace.com/
You don't have to create an account over there. A link will come to your e-mail adress and you can post the link, here!
Of course, by not having an account, the link will be deleted after two weeks, but we will be able to check what's happening!

...and don't worry about the Japanese lady, we'll stop her from coming out of your speakers! smile smile

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632