Topic: Driving a sub and speaker setup from the ADI-2 FS

Another question from a newbie. Can I use a combination of the balanced and unbalanced outputs + filter on the ADI-2 FS to combine a set of speakers and sub woofer? Feeding into a power amp for the speakers and directly into the active input of the sub. I think you can use a dedicated Mini DSP device to a similar thing. Thanks

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-25 22:57:14)

Re: Driving a sub and speaker setup from the ADI-2 FS

You can use RCA and XLR for that.

As there is only one common DAC chip both outputs would share the same filter, you cannot have a true x-over.

If you tell the models of the speakers/subs/amp I can suggest a setup to work around that fact.

@Ocean,

Sure you can do that!   Just so that you understand that the RCA output is 6db lower in level than is the XLR. 

This influences Level Matching of our Subs, and Mains.   My SVS's make this easy.  I just send XLR to the Sub, and it splits off XLR to my Mains.  I level matched them, and never worried about it afterward.

Tell us more.  From there, the Group can offer more pointed guidance.

Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

OK - so I have bought some 25 year old Ruark Templar speakers which i am really excited about. These will be fed from the RME and a  Schiit Aegir (stereo - non mono). The thing that I am super keen to understand is can these beautiful, mini floor-standers veterans and a sub, through the filtered option of the RME, offer even more excitement.

What sub?

The sub is a B&W ASW610. Thanks

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-26 11:22:27)

ocean113 wrote:

... Ruark Templar speakers ... will be fed from the RME and a  Schiit Aegir
The thing that I am super keen to understand is can these beautiful, mini floor-standers veterans and a sub, through the filtered option of the RME, offer even more excitement.

... The sub is a B&W ASW610,

And here comes the full cookbook receipt how to build a 2-way satellite+sub x-over with only one output.

We are using the filter in the sub and ADI-2 DAC’s equalizer to create a high pass (kind of) / low pass X-over.
No extra hardware is needed.

Please read through this posting (No. 10) where I comprehensively described the solution:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p155312

If you have any questions, come back here or use the other thread.

Brilliant. Many thanks

This is what I do: RCA to active sub and XLR to main power amps. Sounds great. The RME DAC is something very special indeed.

What I'd like to know, however, is whether the -6db difference means I should adjust the subwoofer volume when I adjust the DAC preamp volume, or whether the volume setting on the sub always makes up for the 6db discrepancy? I struggle to get my head around this!

10 (edited by Curt962 2021-01-27 15:33:23)

Medium,

No struggles at all.  Make the 6db compensation once at set up time, and it's done.  Just remember that XLR outputs provide a 6db stronger output signal.  re: RCA.   Simply increase level of the RCA connected amplifier, OR decrease level of the XLR connected amp by 6db as a means of compensating.  See?   Done.  This level relationship remains constant regardless of the RME's Vol. Control.   

Make sense now?

We will still need to adjust your Subs, and Mains for equal Acoustic output for a given Vol. Setting, but that's a fun discussion for a later time.

Curt

11 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-27 15:47:05)

mediummanting wrote:

This is what I do: RCA to active sub and XLR to main power amps. Sounds great. The RME DAC is something very special indeed.

What I'd like to know, however, is whether the -6db difference means I should adjust the subwoofer volume when I adjust the DAC preamp volume, or whether the volume setting on the sub always makes up for the 6db discrepancy? I struggle to get my head around this!

For a quick and dirty solution, adjust the subwoofer level to your liking.

If you want to have it precise read the linked  posting:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p155312

With a subwoofer you do not have a “setup by numbers” option. The circumstances are always completely different.

Thank you @Curt962 and @KaiS - very helpful!

13 (edited by Curt962 2021-02-02 17:59:31)

Medium,

You're more than Welcome!  This is the FUN part of Audio!   Your new RME is outputting a fine signal. Let's hear more of it shall we?  smile 

Keep us posted!

Best Regards,

Curt

Edit:  Could you share some details about your Room?  Dimensions, Speaker/Seating Location, Wife's Antique Parabolic Mirror Collection placement, etc. smile  Should you choose, revealing the location of Valuables (Money, Jewelry) is always appreciated. smile smile

That said,

This bit of Reconnaissance helps us better understand where the acoustic challenges might lay.   It matters!

Let's have Fun!