Topic: Speaker B with Babyface Pro FS

Posted in TotalMix but no response. I could do with support looking at this. Thanks

Topic: Speaker B and Babyface Pro FS
I setup speaker B in TotalMix which automatically links the slider with the main out. Great so when on main out I can use the dial on the BF and control volume and both main and B sliders go up and down. If however I switch to B the dial on the BF no longer controls the sliders. This seems wrong to me. If these are linked then even if I switch to B the dial on the BF should work. I don’t see the point in linking them if I can’t control with the dial once I’ve switched to B? Is this deliberate? My problem is if I’m using the dial and switch to B I have suddenly lost control from the BF and I have to jump for a software slider like I did today when they were too loud. Surely this is a mistake?
Next question. Is there no way to control the switch from main to B via the BF? I sort of hoped the mix B could do it but it doesn’t. It would be good if the buttons could have dual function when working with a computer as I don’t need most of what they do as I control from TotalMix or my DAW. Being able to control main and b from the same place as well as switch on the BF would be really useful although I’d settle for the linked volume to work as I’d expect. Thanks

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Re: Speaker B with Babyface Pro FS

One forum is as good as the other. Its more likely that nobody has a solution for you, then better send mail to official RME support, as this is the user forum.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by mkok 2021-01-19 15:51:33)

Ok thanks. Will do. I thought support looked on here also as I notice one post said they would report as a bug.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Got it, will look at it tomorrow.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Cheers

Did this get picked up and looked at?

Yep. And there is no issue at all.

1. You did not switch to Speaker B. You changed on the device from one output to the other. That is not Speaker B. Doing this in TM FX and everything works.

2. You can easily program button B to do this, see TM FX menu Options - ARC and Key Command Settings...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by mkok 2021-01-23 08:59:32)

I think you misunderstood. In TotalMix I used the button to switch to speaker B. When I do this I lose control of the volume using the Babyface dial. It works on main speaker but not when switching to B.

I’ll look at the other option for setting up to do the switching but that isn’t the main problem. It’s losing control of volume when switching to B on the Babyface dial. Unless you mean I can change that as well. I’ll read a bit more in case I have missed something in the manual.

It works for me under both Mac and Win, older and latest TM FX. Maybe you have an unusual configuration. More details and/or screenshots might help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok more details:

So I did a total reset on Totalmix to start from scratch. I have changed ARC and function Keys B to Speaker B select. That works perfectly. I thought that was for an external controller and not the BF but I get that now. My Main out is AN 1/2

I have a Behringer ADA8200 which I use for a 2nd headphone output and speaker B. Headphone output to my headphone amp is on AS1/2 which I can control from the BF dial Opt out.

I am using ADAT 7/8  ( I have tried 3/4 and 5/6 also) for speaker B. I have speaker B linked. If I move the main slider in Totalmix on my pc or ipad both main and speaker B sliders move and the same if I move slider for speaker B in Totalmix. If I use the dial on the BF both sliders move while Main is selected. As soon as I select  Speaker B then the dial no longer moves Main or Speaker B sliders. The BF out on the unit is set to ch 1/2.
If I select AS 1/2 for speaker B then while the BF out is set to Ch 1/2 both sliders will move using both main of speaker B.

So to reiterate it is only when I select ADAT 3/4, 5/6 or 7/8 for Speaker B and Speaker B is selected that I lose control of the linked volumes from the hardware BFP FS dial.

Screen shots of my settings.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dib93x960sbi … 1RY2a?dl=0

Have I missed something out? Have I missed something in the manual again?

An answer would be nice. While I already know the bf dial cannot control anything on the adat interface other than the first two channels (as 1/2) I see no logical reason if main and speaker b are linked that the dial cannot still move main and b follow? I don’t expect it to move b when unlinked as I have this in adat 7/8.

Did you get any help via RME support?

Hope so.

Too bad someone didn't follow up here...

mkok wrote:

So to reiterate it is only when I select ADAT 3/4, 5/6 or 7/8 for Speaker B and Speaker B is selected that I lose control of the linked volumes from the hardware BFP FS dial.

That information in the first post would have saved us a lot of time. It should be no surprise this doesn't work as you can't control volumes of these channels with the dial on the unit. That's a hardware limitation which won't change. Linking is done in TM FX, not the hardware, so still no control information is sent to TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It would be nice if when linking the dial still controlled the main fader and therefore the speaker B fader as it is linked. I don’t see how this would be fixed in hardware. Surely this would be a software button?