Topic: TotalMix FX plugin counterparts?

Hello again friends,

I know this may sound like a nonsense, so I'll try to explain thoroughly,

TotalMix FX software is just a control for internal DSP of RME cards, it can be used for live situations, and it is possible to tick EQ+Dynamics for record, so the adjustments in TotalMix FX can be printed into tracks while recording in a DAW,

what if it's desired to use TotalMix FX for monitoring purposes during recording, this way tracks are recorded in DAW without any TotalMix processing, but for some reason the performing artist or guest engineer is so happy with (some) adjustments they would like to have them applied in the DAW later when mixing?

this leads me to a question if there are any plugins which would match TotalMix FX processing features?
I don't expect any direct answers for third-party software products, but rather some insight on workflow options for situation described above

thanks in advance for feedback smile

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Re: TotalMix FX plugin counterparts?

The stock eq and compressor plugins of any daw will do the same job. I would also think you can use the loopback function to record the dsp fx but I have a fx-less card so can't try.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by ramses 2020-01-30 20:31:55)

> what if it's desired to use TotalMix FX for monitoring purposes during recording, this way tracks
> are recorded in DAW without any TotalMix processing, but for some reason the performing artist
> or guest engineer is so happy with (some) adjustments they would like to have them applied
> in the DAW later when mixing?
> this leads me to a question if there are any plugins which would match TotalMix FX processing features?

Do I understand your request correctly in a few words: "you want RME effects as VST plugin for your DAW?"

The usual case is to record tracks raw without any effects, to be able to have more freedom later in the mixing phase
to correct wave files or try different sorts of effects.

There is such a wide range of reverb plugins for DAWs on the market already (transparent reverby, colorizing effetc, etc), that it is not necessary to sell RME effects as VST plugins.

On the PC you usually have much more CPU power available (especially now with AMD Ryzen), so that you can run even more complex reverbs on your DAW without problems.

Your request makes no sense to me or I misunderstood something.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@ramses

I would like parameters of RME FX portable into some software plugin inside a DAW, so I can "copy" TotalMix presets/settings into/onto an already-recorded tracks

"There is such a wide range of reverb plugins for DAWs on the market already (transparent reverby, colorizing effetc, etc), that it is not necessary to sell RME effects as VST plugins."
indeed indeed, but my point is, if there is some let's say "generic" Reverb, EQ, Dynamics -plugins, where I could simply copy the parameters and get same/similar results?

@vinark I am not that much familiar with EQ+Dyn parameters, so what you say it should be possible to grab any generic EQ, and copy/paste gain+freq+Q values from TotalMix channel strip into the EQ plugin and get same results?
I always thought plugin devs are using slightly different algorithms, just the differences between linear phase, natural phase, and zero latency EQs are big already..

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Yes digital eq's are pretty much the same. Only if they model analog saturation will they differ and basic ones don't.
Compressors could be the same, but use a very basic one then.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

tzzsmk wrote:

what if it's desired to use TotalMix FX for monitoring purposes during recording, this way tracks are recorded in DAW without any TotalMix processing, but for some reason the performing artist or guest engineer is so happy with (some) adjustments they would like to have them applied in the DAW later when mixing?

Hello!

You could, also, make use of internal Loopback fuction of TM, if you have available Outputs.
Just send the raw track(or tracks) to an output, apply the effects you want from TM, on that output, activate Loopback, and print that inside your DAW !

It's kind of a workaround, but you 'll get the exact same results in your project.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

ramses wrote:

>

Your request makes no sense to me or I misunderstood something.

Why so many people always chime in with such "answers" without understanding the original question? The scenario is very valid - do a quick mix into a DAW with onboard RME effects. For a zillion reasons that is a valid situation. Don't have an answer - just move on, or stick around and see what others have to say. Why bother arguing about obvious things like "better plugins in DAW", "must be recording raw", etc. instead of answering the question??

Please don't keep beating around the bushes when the poster asks a CONCRETE question. The _answer_ is already mentioned -- to activate  loopback on a channel and feed it into DAW. That is it!

8 (edited by ramses 2021-02-03 12:49:00)

Please always remain nice and polite. He had a question and I took the time to answer it.
I have a different opinion on this point and have explained why.
I did it to make him think about the reasons why I would prefer a different way of working.
That's all that happened and this is no reason to react unfriendly and it's not even your topic..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I think the OP misunderstand Totalmix.
As far as I know, the DAW receives all incoming signals clean pure dry.
In the same time the Totalmix top row input channals receive the same signal as the Daw and those EQ etc in TM are for the monitoring only.
Am I wrong ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes you are. Settings dialog,  DSP EQ for record or similar. See manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by ramses 2021-02-03 12:50:30)

tzzsmk wrote:

Seems to me that I didn't understand this part of the question on the 1st reading.

I see two possibilities, please try:

Option A) I would try to playback such a track, that has been recording without TM FX effects.
While playback you route the SW playback channels to a HW output (there you have FX as well like on inputs).
Now enable loopback on this HW Ouput (tool symbol, loopback button).
I never tried it but would assume that the processed signal with TM FX effects can be recorded now on the corresponding input. So if you send something out to e.g. HW output 3/4, then you should be able to record it on HW input 3/4 by loopback. Pls. try it out and report back.
You can simplify the setting work for the FX effects by using save/recall, import export functions.

Option B) An alternative solution would be to use loopback recording directly during the recording, by routing e.g. vocals to a free ADAT output, using loopback and recording the vocals track with TM FX effects in parallel / at the same time.

Option C): post #10 .. record with effects with the disadvantage, that you have the effect on the one and only recording.

Option B) would save you the work to do that later in a separate step. If it turns out, that you do not need that additional FX track in the DAW it might be quicker to delete the not required tracks from the DAW project. If your recordings are very similar, then you could even create a template which also covers the recording of these additional FX tracks.

The other question, RME FX as VST can only be answered by RME.

My guess on the subject is that the request is too specific, that would probably hardly use anyone.
On the FPGA side there are also performance limitations, more tradeoffs have to be made compared to a PC with multiple-cores. You see it already when trying to activate all FX effects on all channels on an UFX+, not possible. This shows that effects create a significant load on the extra FPGA for FX.
In addition to this everybody has already his beloved tools on PC side, be it from DAW or 3rd party. On PC side you do not have performance limitations as already mentioned. Therefore VSTs/Effects on PC side can be more elaborate and give you more options, additional oversampling and what not... So I doubt much that RME would start such an effort if the majority of customers would much likely continue use their effects or hardware effects.

IMHO you should always use the right tool for each craft. Here I see the RME FX for monitoring or vocals ideal, for which it was certainly designed. When it comes to mixing and mastering, I would recommend the tools that are designed for this use case and provide there optimal results (HW effects or more complex VSTs).