Topic: DAC Inputs Selection - proposed interface improvements

Following last week’s suggestions regarding Channel Balance, please see below some ideas on how to potentially improve Input Selection interface.  These are not particularly crucial to me (as I am mostly using the remote), but I believe implementing these might improve overall user experience at close to nil effort (if combined with other firmware changes you would surely implement at certain point):

PROBLEM:
ADI-2 DAC includes several pre-amp-like functionalities, but is missing [an easy] mechanism of switching DAC inputs on the unit (which you would normally expect from hi-fi gear).  While outputs can easily be switched via long-press on Volume dial, the inputs (coax, opt, usb, etc) must be toggled at I/O sub-menu and under certain scenarios this may require quite many (e.g. 10?) „clicks" to get there.  Thus it seems most practical to change inputs via remote, but - as per above - you would expect such functionality also on the unit itself.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:
This problem seems to be easily solved by the following: 
a) Currently at the top-level screens the knobs 1 and 2 act as B/T dials and -if pressed - as various top screens toggle up / down. You should allocate LONG presses of those knobs to switching Inputs up (knob 1) and down (knob 2). 
b) After such change the entire interface at top screens would work quite logically - (i) Volume Knob: turning = changing the volume   |   press = mute   |   long press = toggle OUTPUTS, (ii) B/T Knobs = turning = changing B/T levels   |   press = toggle screens   |   long press = toggle INPUTS up (1) or down (2).  As those long presses are not used anyway, this would not be anyhow disruptive to the users not needing those. 

I hope this is useful!

Re: DAC Inputs Selection - proposed interface improvements

Darek.   Nicely prepared proposal.  Please review Pg 36 of the User Manual to find that the ADI-2 DAC already has an Auto function to conveniently select the Digital Input at which a valid input is present.   

*  I/O > Source > Auto

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Dear Curt

Many thanks!  The Manuals are truely one of my favorite reads (no irony here, really!) and RME is a real TREAT in this department - already read from cover to cover, several times!   I love this almost as much as the unit itself:) - again: no irony here - it is really great material showing how much passion the RME team puts into their products - and very informative too!

BUT:
The Auto function (as suggested by you) is not really of much help here, as:
(a) my personal setup is that I usually have many sources active simultanously most of the time (e.g. Tidal from streamer via Coax and Apple Music from AppleTV via Opt) - under such setup the Auto function does not work very well as: (i) it seems to be agnostic to playback from particular device (not switching on play), but (ii) from time to time it takes liberty of switching inputs w/o any good reason (at least: apparent to me) - so I try to switch Auto off,
(b) but more importantly:  I believe that any good pre-amp needs a simple to use, old-school input selector (not the „Auto function” - even if it worked:)) - so why not? 

Regards

DP

Darek,

Understood.   In that rare instance for me?  The Remote is my Silver Bullet! 

One Tap...Done.

I'm a Simple Man. wink

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt

Agreed - the remote solves the problem 100% - and as per above, the entire issue is not that much important to me (as I am mostly using the remote). 

But again: why not to improve this?  - if such function works good on the remote, why it should not work on the unit (especially if there were „empty slots” on the interface)?

Rgds

DP