1 (edited by counterpoint 2021-02-14 16:14:10)

Topic: EQ affecting Auto Ref Level

If this has already been answered somewhere please forgive me. I did a quick search and could not find the answer.

I am not understanding one behavioral aspect of the ADI-2 DAC FS. In its default mode (or at least my current settings), with Auto Ref Level enabled, the ADI-2 switches from Lo-Power to Hi-Power output when the volume is set to -15dBr. This is without any EQ, Bass/Treble control, or Loudness applied.

If, for example, you apply 2 bands of EQ and make a cut of -9.5dB @ 4.7KHz Q=3 and another cut of -12dB @ 7.8KHz Q=5, the transition point between Lo-Power output and Hi-Power output is unaffected and remains -15dBr. Makes perfect sense so far.

If, however, you add a 3rd EQ band of +3dB @ 6.1KHz Q=3, the transition point between power outputs shifts -3dB from -15dBr to -18dBr. This does not make sense to me, since the resulting EQ curve at 6.1KHz remains below 0dB.

Perhaps the explanation is simple but it eludes me. If someone can please explain to me why this is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-14 17:21:32)

Re: EQ affecting Auto Ref Level

The explanation is simple, indeed:

The calculation of auto reference level is not that sophisticated that it takes the resulting curve into account, it’s based on the gain settings of the equalizer.

If you boost 3 dB, as in your example, auto reference level shifts by 3 dB.

In this context I would like to mention:

The resulting peak level with music is not strictly connected to the max. gain in an equalizer curve, the phase shift that is inherent with every filter, causes higher than that peak levels.

This way even cut filters boost the peak level by several dB.
So a little bit of headroom is welcome anyway.

I was going to ask if "If that is the case, would it be better to turn Auto Ref Level off if you do not intend to increase the volume to the point it would switch?" but you answered that too.

I understand now. Thank you for that explanation.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-14 17:50:44)

Yes, you want to listen to unclipped music, not watch the peak meters all the time.

Auto reference level does a good job in this regard IMO.