1 (edited by rienm 2021-02-20 11:23:24)

Topic: AD converter to connect phono to ADI-2 DAC

Hello,

2 years ago I bought de ADI-2 Dac to use with my MrSpeaker Aeon Flow open headphones. Sadly I did not buy the ADI-2Pro, because now  I'd like to connect my Thorens TD160, Kiseki blue cartridge , Musical Fidelity phono amplifier to the ADI.
I love the sound of the ADI-2 DAC, even more important for me is the DSP. Next to my hearing-loss because of my age ( 69) there is an imbalance between Left and Right ear ( -30 DB threshold above 3.5KHz)...

What to do, trying to sell the ADI-2 DAC and buy the ADI2 Pro FS or buy the ADI-2 FS ???? Can you compare the combination of the ADI-2 DAC plus ADI-2 FS with the ADI-2 Pro FS ??

Does anyone of you have an other solution ?

thanks, Rien

2 (edited by ramses 2021-02-20 08:45:05)

Re: AD converter to connect phono to ADI-2 DAC

Hi Rien.
It's possible to add an ADI-2 FS to your existing setup with an ADI-2 DAC. Then you have two devices.

There is another option to get the new ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. Then you have again one device, the Pro and even with a remote.

This new model ADI-2 Pro FS R BE brings the following changes:
- latest AK converter
- along with this a new D/A filter

At the end of the day measurable changes, but not audible.

The biggest advantage I see in having only one device.
And the pro has - besides the analog inputs - some nice features like two equal phones outputs which nicely supports e.g. A/B comparisons between different phones, SRC (sample rate converter) should you have still a DAT device with fix 48 kHz and alike ...

Of course getting the latest ADI-2 Pro FS R BE will costs more, compared to upgrade with an ADI-2 FS.

But at the end of the day a PRO is a nice device and you have all in one box with new/latest/bigger remote.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-19 23:55:10)

2nd opinion:

If you can afford it I‘d clearly vote for the ADI-2 Pro.

It gives you all you need, and saves you from the hustle of operating too many's devices, which can distract from music enjoyment.

4 (edited by rienm 2021-02-20 11:59:24)

ramses wrote:

H

The biggest advantage I see in having only one device.
And the pro has - besides the analog inputs - some nice features like two equal phones outputs which nicely supports e.g. A/B comparisons between different phones, SRC (sample rate converter) should you have still a DAT device with fix 48 kHz and alike ...

Of course getting the latest ADI-2 Pro FS R BE will costs more, compared to upgrade with an ADI-2 FS.

But at the end of the day a PRO is a nice device and you have all in one box with new/latest/bigger remote.

Hi Ramses

I am just using the RME ADI-2dac in a hifi setting... You are right, would be nice to use one device, but it will cost... the remote I can buy separately to use in combination with the DAC ( it is a pity you can not zap between the different EQ presets with the remote...)
The only function necessary  to use my turntable is the AD conversion... so if there will be no audible difference ...
The ADI-2 FS costs €700, the Pro € 1700....and I do not know where I could sell my ADI-2 Dac....I do not see them second hand on Ebay, nor on HiFi.nl ; perhaps nobody wants to sell them ? And at what price, € 500??

Just some thoughts...

Rien

Hi everyone,
After waiting for six weeks my ADI-2 Pro FS R BE finally arrived
I‘ve been using the ADI-2 Pro to record some rare records and even some tapes from my Nakamichi Dragon.
It works great and the sound quality especially of my records is really good. You can also play around with the EQ Settings and pimp your 80s music.
The ADC is to me by far the biggest advantage of the Pro because you can directly connect your high quality phono pre-amp to it and use the Pro as a pre-amp in your HiFi setup.

One additional analog input that you simply route through to the analog outputs would be also nice to have but maybe doesn‘t fit to the digital architecture of the Pro.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE