Topic: setting up with iPad Pro

Thinking of buying Babyface Pro FS. I would like to use with iPad Pro 2018 version which has USB-C. Will this work well? I'd like to experiment with real time sequencing on the iPad with a midi controller. Thank you.

Re: setting up with iPad Pro

You need also the USB camera connection kit adapter for the iPad. Then you can connect the Babyface and use it in class compliant mode as interface. The midisequencer connects to the Babyface midi breakout cable.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

No he does not need the Camera kit - his iPad has USB-C so he only needs a simple USB-C to USB-B cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I have an iPad Pro and definitely USB-C

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

waedi wrote:

You need also the USB camera connection kit adapter for the iPad. Then you can connect the Babyface and use it in class compliant mode as interface. The midisequencer connects to the Babyface midi breakout cable.

I ordered Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I believe there is one with a headphone out but I couldn't see it on Apple's site.

MC wrote:

No he does not need the Camera kit - his iPad has USB-C so he only needs a simple USB-C to USB-B cable.

Thanks for this. No harm to have other cables.

I'm thinking of adding a Babyface Pro FS to the setup and considering the Akai MPK mini midi controller.

MC wrote:

MC, I have the same 2018 iPad Pro, would this also be the case for the original Babyface? I have a used one coming to me soon. My research keeps bringing up different claims: that it will need a power adapter (but the posts all seem to be old, before USB-C came along on the iPad, seemingly capable of powering practically anything, lol), or that it can be bus powered, but not in class compliant mode, so a no-go for iPads.

I'm fine with getting a power adapter if I have to, I'm just not sure .. if I'll have to.

Should work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME