Topic: ADI-2 PRO FS Stuttering

Hi all,
I loaded the most recent MADi driver, hooked up the ADI-2 PRO FS and although it connects and I hear audio, it stutters at a regular rate, ~3 Hz as if there is a sampling rate or clock issue.  The ADI display says INT for clock source, which should not be correct for use in USB DAC mode.  Clock source is set to AUTO, but it still says INT on the display when connected to USB.  Attempts to unload and reload driver make no difference.

Any ideas before I decide it is defective?
Thanks for any assistance!

2 (edited by ramses 2020-09-27 21:44:47)

Re: ADI-2 PRO FS Stuttering

You mean this MADIface driver ? driver_madiface_win_09723.zip

Clock source internal is correct, it means that the ADI-2 Pro / DAC is the clock master.

Windows or Apple ? Which HW / Version ?
Desktop or Laptop ?
Did you try all USB ports ?
Are you using networking while listening audio ? Especially WLAN (but also LAN traffic) can introduce some
DPC latencies ... retry without WLAN.

With which application do you have the stuttering ?
If Windows:
- which driver is in use with this application ?
- which energy power profile do you use when you get the stuttering ?
- if ASIO driver is in use, which ASIO buffersize is configured in the RME driver settings

Did you do the usual audio optimizations ?
- is energy saving disabled in the BIOS (C-States, T-States, P-States, etc etc ...)
- is Windows configured to optimize for background services, sometimes this helps

If Windows System, did you check DPC latencies with the tool LatencyMon ?
You might have one or more drivers installed, that block CPU cores for too long, this you can detect with this tool.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,
I appreciate the reply!

1) Driver is 0.9723.
2) Stuttering does not vary at all when any buffer parameters are changed.
3) 64 bit Win 7 Ultimate on a 12 core i7-4930K @ 3.4 GB w/32 GB RAM.
4) I am troubleshooting this problem using standard 44.1 KHz/ 16-bit audio.
5) It exhibits this behavior on a USB 2 port which will feed an Auralic Vega DAC at 192 KB/s 24-bit with no loss or issues.
6) This 3 Hz stuttering is stable and seems very much like a clock issue,
7) The stuttering exists no matter what program is sending data to the ADI-2 (Win Sys, Sound Forge, Foobar, etc.)
8) The only power option set is screen saver after 30 minutes.
9) LatencyMon reports: "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts."

I have been working with digital audio as a profession for many years and this really seems like a clock conflict.  The stuttering is rock stable in rate and duration which is why I suspected the INT display meant it wasn't syncing with the incoming rate of the USB audio.  I have used several other interfaces on this DAW without issue (Auralic Vega, MAudio Quad, Focusrite Scarlett).

I also tried resetting the ADI-2 to factory parameters thinking I set something wrong...no joy.
I appreciate your assistance!

4 (edited by ramses 2020-09-27 23:11:04)

> 6) This 3 Hz stuttering is stable and seems very much like a clock issue,
can you provide a sound example, to get an idea how this sounds ?

> 7) The stuttering exists no matter what program is sending data to the ADI-2 (Win Sys, Sound Forge, Foobar, etc.)
So with the WDM driver and the ASIO driver ?

> 8) The only power option set is screen saver after 30 minutes.
I mean the Windows power options that influence CPU core parking and CPU clock:
High Performance, Balanced, Energie saving.

How is it with network activity ? LAN / WLAN ?
Did you try all USB ports ?
What does the USB diagnosis tell when you keep the driver settings windows open, do you see there a counter increasing so that there are USB transfer errors ?

Was the stuttering from the beginning or did it start with i.e. a driver update ?
Which version of Windows 10 do you use ? 1909 or 2004 ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi,
I am back trying to use the ADI-2 Pro fs and it is once again misbehaving, w/stuttering at 3 Hz.  I have disabled all other audio drivers, and turned off all other audio I/O devices...no change.  Anyone have any experience with this problem?  I'm dead in the water with this expensive DAC once again.